[POLL] Mir 2 3D meshes > 2D sprites Diablo 3 style?

smoochy boys on tour

Mir 2 Graphical Update

• Yes

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
Anyone here think that Mir 2 could do with the Diablo 3 treatment? All the sprites swapped for 3D meshes, keep the Isometric camera (fixed camera) and coded in C++? It would be a refreshing change and in direct X 9 with low poly modelling would run on most computers and laptops with ease.

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
my computer does not like the diablo 3 sewer water when i run in it :eek:

but yeh would sound nice but a little to hard to do.. If you attempted to do this you would need to get all of diablo's images etc

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Plenty of projects done by chinese to do this using 2.5D etc.

Personally i attempted to recreate mir in Unity3D , with new fixed angle. the hard part is getting it online using photon or other means

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
I have given this much thought and had many different conversations with Ryan regarding it tbh... The problem that always arises is that me and Ryan are programmers and dont know any Graphical packages/3D modeling software :( cry.

Sam

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
I have given this much thought and had many different conversations with Ryan regarding it tbh... The problem that always arises is that me and Ryan are programmers and dont know any Graphical packages/3D modeling software :( cry.

Sam
Haha, well the modelling of the modular characters and weapons also the animations are about 1 trillion times easier than the programming. You could easily find some dude to help out with that., freelance, College or Uni level.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004

Sam

That's where i come in , i have Unity3D and a fair few asset's / kits for MMO build, i just need help coding it. Graphics are not a problem, i have 2 mates extremely talents on any 3DModelling software.

I suggest looking at Unity3D Free . The Pro versions allows for build on WebPlatform / windows / mac / iphone / android / ps3 and xbox360. I only have license for everything but xbox360 and ps3 :(

Also Blender is a nice free OpenSource 3D modelling software :D

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Yeah would need someone else to do the graphics :P not something im artistic enough to learn/be able to develop properly :P

Their are plenty of easier languages that could be used to code it also... I'v never really tried C++ but it cant be that much different to the other languages iv used as all languages work on the same principle tbh...

Done any 3d work in past Breez?

Sam

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah mate, like i said i got 2 other mates that have tons of experience in 3D Modelling. I'm still learning Unity3D which supports C# and Javascript , although integrating other languages is possible, i personally prefer C#.

Are we talking about completely re designing...Because that what need a fair few artists / 3D designers / Animators etc. I myself am not entirely amazing at drawing but a wizz when it comes to photshop / after effects.

The furthest i've got with recreating mir in Unity3D was getting Tiles and Objects and actually creating my own Unity3D Mir style map...which is call because you can use a terrain editor to make lumps / holes in the ground , also making cave entrances is a doddle. I got stuck when trying to put the armours on the character :D basically allowing iTween to play certain images on certain movements .....Sorta looked odd :D

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
[video=youtube;nAcMKtCIg0A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAcMKtCIg0A[/video]

1PKRyan

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Nov 9, 2007
No
Yea Samuel, if we could get the artisict people then we maybe could start somethin like this. But its a long process and as with many projects they start with good intention but to much work to carry out and finish them.

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
I don't really see any point to this, a graphics overhaul for an outdated game? what's that gonna do bring back a few odd players to test it? Sorry but we need stable file sets and things like that before we even talk about this crap. If you want mir remade take it up with the next company to buy the license not a frigging private forum.

Apologies to put the negative spin on it but that's currently the main priority not how the game frigging looks. That being said if we did get a stable file set then yeah knock yourself out with improving how it looks.

Last edited:

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
It is so much more easier to work with polys rather then sprites and tiles in almost every way. I can do any graphics/animation needed but have no clue on how to create an authoritative mmo back end. I made this a while back and have posted it several times, it was literaly only a few days work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kezXBgCSLr8

czelda its not that its just a graphics update I think there really is a neiche that no one seems to be able/want to exploit. The korean developers are still making a shed load of money so have no incentive to update to polys and the western developers keep making WoW clones or over complicated games with stupid number of classes at ridiculously high costs.

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
I don't really see any point to this, a graphics overhaul for an outdated game? what's that gonna do bring back a few odd players to test it? Sorry but we need stable file sets and things like that before we even talk about this crap. If you want mir remade take it up with the next company to buy the license not a frigging private forum.

Apologies to put the negative spin on it but that's currently the main priority not how the game frigging looks. That being said if we did get a stable file set then yeah knock yourself out with improving how it looks.
It worked for diablo 3 maybe it would work for Mir2 and i wouldn't expand on a set of files with delphi neither. You could all get it working quicker from scratch with unrealscript and that's what makes me wonder why you all still bother with the game as it is now.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
It worked for diablo 3 maybe it would work for Mir2 and i wouldn't expand on a set of files with delphi neither. You could all get it working quicker from scratch with unrealscript and that's what makes me wonder why you all still bother with the game as it is now.

Because people love the style of the game

Theres tons of remakes of Mir, if u go on any chinese mir2 resource website you will find 2.5D version / remakes.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Nice idea for anything new.
However, it just draws some resources and interest away from ongoing projects.
Ruby has suffered from the emergence of heros, now another idea will take more.
Nothing ever seems to get to a "complete" stage.

Jesus

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
Nice idea for anything new.
However, it just draws some resources and interest away from ongoing projects.
Ruby has suffered from the emergence of heros, now another idea will take more.
Nothing ever seems to get to a "complete" stage.

Ruby suffered because the coders gave up? Nothing to do with heroes files...

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
mir is good cause its a 2D game, sure it might look nicer if it was like diablo, but that will NEVER happen, so the conversation is somewhat pointless (may be negative, but its the truth)

if you turn mir into 3D, it just becomes another crapy 3d MMO that tried to copy WoW and failed.

2D is what makes it good, nice and simple

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
Because every 3D MMO is a copy of WoW? I remember playing 3D MMO's before WoW ;)

Also it'd be more like a copy of diablo because its essentially what diablo is...