Poor grammar

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
I being a foreigner who actually does not use English in real life, am having a difficult time understanding how such a majority of English people do not spell correctly.

The reason I started this discussion is because lately, most of the servers that I have tried (yes, even the popular "good" servers) have all disappointed me with NPC's having stupid grammatic mistakes. I do not mean the odd typo or two - they are literally filled with blatant mis-spelling. I'm not even going to talk about the usage of capital letters...

For me, it is a sign of disrespect and lack of common decency. Not to mention the lack of intelligence that is shown by the individual.

I'm not saying you shouldn't resort to abbreviations while casually chatting on MSN or ingame, but for gods sake - if you are writing for example a NPC monologue, does it really not seem mandatory to use correct spelling and format?

It's especially off-putting when a gamemaster global shouts announcements without proper usage of the capital letter and correct grammar.

Anyway, this post may seem like a rant, however it is meant as a tip to the (future) server owners on how to attract, or at least not loose players due to such a simple, but fatal overlooking.

Hone

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jun 10, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Absolutely true. Probably because so many people in this community claim to be dyslexic, when really they're just idiots. YEAH I WENT THERE!!

It's something that has always annoyed me on servers, especially when trying to do a quest...consequently my server of course has perfect grammar/spelling ^_~

HeadHunter

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 18, 2007
Stoke, UK
Pointless thread yes, because we all knew that this was going on, but it's not just Mir 2 it's Mir 3 as well and so it is the same with many servers. Although you have brought the point up in a reasonable way it's a shame that this thread will be seen as spam by many people and frowned upon as per.

Praktica

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 16, 2009
England
Well yeah that is true, but some people would rather make their NPC's look a slight bit more flashy than the plain low-case letters; E.G

Hello GameMaster, Would You Like To <Enter Last Man Standing> Now?
or
Hello GameMaster, would you like to <enter last man standing> now?

I personally prefere the top option, it seems to make the writing stand out more and look professional (Even though in reality it's not)

But yeah, I can totally see where your coming from on that matter, although it's just the spelling mistakes what aggravate me the most really

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
Well yeah that is true, but some people would rather make their NPC's look a slight bit more flashy than the plain low-case letters; E.G

Hello GameMaster, Would You Like To <Enter Last Man Standing> Now?
or
Hello GameMaster, would you like to <enter last man standing> now?

I personally prefere the top option, it seems to make the writing stand out more and look professional (Even though in reality it's not)

But yeah, I can totally see where your coming from on that matter, although it's just the spelling mistakes what aggravate me the most really

On the contrary it doesn't look professional...things like that really annoy me.

And yes in general the language used is quite disgusting.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Pointless post if you ask me

And the great point of your post was exactly what?

The only reason I started this thread is to get server owners to realize it is a real annoyance for many players.

May be I've put it in the wrong section however in no way could this be called spam.

Pointless thread yes, because we all knew that this was going on, but it's not just Mir 2 it's Mir 3 as well and so it is the same with many servers. Although you have brought the point up in a reasonable way it's a shame that this thread will be seen as spam by many people and frowned upon as per.

You're contradicting yourself in that post.

Last edited:

Hany

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 28, 2005
Annoyed from spelling mistake ingame? lol

Get real, people won't quit over grammar mistakes.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Inability to use proper English shows lack of intelligence and/or respect which in turn says a lot about the server owner/team.

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
Our country is full of lazy idiots.

We've been spoilt only having one language to learn correctly, now people don't even bother going that far.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
totally agree with ragnar, i for one do have speical need's in reading and writing, and i do believe people are just to lazy to write a propper script ive seen people working on scripts which have taking most of the day and there totally bollox

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
I think you misunderstood. I am not talking about NPC scripts, I am talking about NPC's having text written without considering any grammatic rules.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I totally agree.

There's quite a few servers with realy poor NPC scripts.

Speling mistakes are OK, everyone will mis-spell or make a typo that goes un-noticed for a while, but simple grammar such as capital letters, full stops and comma's.

Just make it look a little more professional, and easier on the eye for people.

steve

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 20, 2005
Reading
the classic ones that really get on my tits saying your for you're and no for know

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Hah, I totally agree :p i see some things and i'm thinking to myself, how did they manage to mess they sentence up? :S

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
One thing that annoys me if the capital letter on every single word! Pain in the butt and looks tacky.

Diversity

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 3, 2010
If a foreigner cant understand a english server, then explain why the hell are they even on it ?

Because personaly if i went on any website / forum / game etc etc and couldnt understand it, i would ask my self one thing.. why am i here ?