ps3 can now play backups

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
This has happened plenty of times. Even with the confirmation from a few reputable people I'll believe it when I see it in the hands of users.

-edit- And yeah I know the Backup Manager software itself is legit but that can be ran easily on a debug console. The USB Dongle is the important part.

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
As much as i do enjoy getting things on the cheap, and seeing independent developers etc, working hard on things like this, i am getting it is making me a little bit sad now.

I don't want to sound like a square or a douchebag, but the psp was COMPLETELY raped by homebrew and all the other advantages that came with custom firmware. The DS has also suffered a similiar fate due to the R4 cards etc. (not as bad as the psp, probably due to the age of the target audience), and now it's slowly looking like the ps3 might head in that direction.

The video game industry is going to start dying soon, i think, and that makes me sad a little bit.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
It will never die, people make the choice to pirate games or not i still buy games that deserve the money but i'm not forking out £40 for a game that i'll touch once.

Sony will combat this and the choice will be online play or pirated games. Then it will some how prevented and people will find a new way. Dont forget its taken this long for them to even get anywhere with the PS3. Which must be saying something about the job Sony did on it's security.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
To be honest I'll only ever play a pirated game if I only want it for the offline mode as you can't play online, and there isn't many ganes I'd but for that except the likes of MGS4 and GTA.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
For the 360 i play a pirated game if it's released early like MW2 since you can bet the pirate version will be up for download maybe 1-2 weeks early. Then go and buy it to play on my non banned console.

I think Sony will do something soon about this and ban waves will begin.

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
For normal educated people;

No way will it die.. Xbox could keep um alive on their own

As much as i do enjoy getting things on the cheap, and seeing independent developers etc, working hard on things like this, i am getting it is making me a little bit sad now.

I don't want to sound like a square or a douchebag, but the psp was COMPLETELY raped by homebrew and all the other advantages that came with custom firmware. The DS has also suffered a similiar fate due to the R4 cards etc. (not as bad as the psp, probably due to the age of the target audience), and now it's slowly looking like the ps3 might head in that direction.

The video game industry is going to start dying soon, i think, and that makes me sad a little bit.

And to cater for the thick;

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
For normal educated people;

And to cater for the thick;

Let me pin point it a little more for you, it's this I don't understand.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Keep on topic...

I myself dont play the Ps3, But my xbox is chipped, Hardly ever play that either.

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
I been waiting for this day closely.. and I got lucky on how I got my PS3 and here is the story...

Once upon a time I decided to buy a BROKEN xbox 360 that RROD and to fix it up myself (Cost me 40 quid to buy/fix and get it working) once it was fixed up a friend of mine wanted to trade his PS3 (The original fat 60gb) for my XBOX 360 to which I agreed (I've got several xboxes anyways).

So i got my ps3 for 40 quid, only turned it on around 3 times, and waited for this day for it to play backups! Looking forward to getting uncharted 2 and so forth! Unsure if I'll download the games now and transfer them to an external hard-drive or if I'll just go to blockbuster and rent and install it that way.

Decisions decisions.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
I'll be getting a new PS3 and renting + ripping :) and thats how i got my 360 aftr my first got banned. Brought a RROD 360 for £20 brought kit form ebay for £2.50. Working online 360 for 22.50 :)

Omen_lom

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 29, 2006
do those RROD kits actually work??? and i sold my slimline ps3 last month... bummer :P lol

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Yeah they work a treat been running that 360 for almost a year now after fixing it. m$ should change the X-Clamp to the RROD kits and they wouldn't RROD in the first place :P

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
Prai, why was my post deleted exactly? It had an on topic post as-well which is slightly agitating but hey, moving on.

As I said in my original post: It's taken two years to jail break this which is rather impressive from my POV, it means these things are getting harder to hack which is good & bad, depending if you're on the side of the illegal or legal part lol.

Nice link anyway MentaL.

/Czeldabolg

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Don't forget most of the big groups didn't bother with the PS3 until recently everyone was focused on the 360 which made the PS3 take even longer.