"Quad Core" Differences

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
This is more of a commenting poll.
What in your own words would you describe "Quad Core", and what advantages it has?

(I'm buying a new computer and need to know if this "quad core" thing is any good before purchase.
(As the other one is dual)

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
It's better than dual and most new computers come with 4 cores now so...get with the times grandad!

ixtrix

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 13, 2012
+rep i liked that
quad core benifits depend on the software actually using more than one core , and how many appz u run at once
i run a quad extreme with heavy oc that is mental , usually have a few virtual machines running in background while play mir without any loss of speed
but if u only play mir and browse, quads will do little over dual

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Considering this is in Mir Chat I assume you mean for Mir.

Mir is actually better being run on only 1 CPU, that being said you are probably better off going for a quad, unless you require 6/8 cores.

shanem82

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
run your self as you should and then just dedicate the M2 server exe to core 1 only i found since doing this it runs 10 times smoother and more stable

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Yeah its for mir lol, just wondering if it would be any use rather than buying a top notch computer e.g Orion gaming pc etc.

Considering this is in Mir Chat I assume you mean for Mir.

Mir is actually better being run on only 1 CPU, that being said you are probably better off going for a quad, unless you require 6/8 cores.
Yes, i've heard this before elsewhere I just wasn't sure if it would be completely true

It's better than dual and most new computers come with 4 cores now so...get with the times grandad!..
If this was facebook I would have liked it.
If this was real life it would have been a twat around the face ;p

ixtrix

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 13, 2012
as far as a pc for mir playing just , an old p3 700mhz of mine with heavily customized xp would beat an orion :P
and wouldnt be far off for browsing , even youtube hd is smooth
tho not for trueHD movies ><