• Barça

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
@Whoever said Maradona is the best ever because he won the world cup on his own or w.e. Surely if your looking at things this way, Ryan Giggs is the best player ever as I do believe he has won more trophies/medals than anybody else.

It's nothing to do with the medals. Want to be the best, you have to perform on the biggest stage. It's alright scoring a tonne of goals for a team with the service of Barcelona but can Messi do the same for more average team like Argentina similar to what Maradona did for them and Napoli?

Oh and Pele was the best without any doubt.

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
@Whoever said Maradona is the best ever because he won the world cup on his own or w.e. Surely if your looking at things this way, Ryan Giggs is the best player ever as I do believe he has won more trophies/medals than anybody else.

Giggs won those awards because he was always in a great team with (however much i HATE to say it) a superb manager, its players like shearer who proved how good they are by scoring 20/30 goals, season in season out, no matter how poor the midfield was, no matter who the manager was and irelevant of how clubs tried to handle him.

Cocaj

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 12, 2006
Spain
Maradona is overvalued,I think there are many better players than maradona...

Pelé,Zidanne...and co.

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
George Best was without a doubt, he played when the pitches were pure mud & the ball was as heavy as a punchbag, yet he performed magic. The only reason George Best isn't looked at as much as Diego or Pele is because of his lifestyle off the pitch. Obviously though, this is just my opinion.

@Razzle: I have to agree, never forget 66 when he lead West Ham to victory in the world cup (Not that I was alive lol).

Diego Maradona bought freestyle onto the pitch, he was the original, that's why he's one of the best ever. Watch the film In The Hands Of Gods...

Last edited:

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
If they all played now, would they be as good as they were then though? that is the question.

dopey

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 17, 2004
Ireland, Derry
Players of that type peak at a young age imo, they start to lose pace and it makes them ****, like sum1 sed above, like ronaldinho.

Ronaldinho like many many brazilian stars partied to hard. A problem man ****y are having at the minute with the younger players.

Also Giggs like george best are not considered to be with the greatest of all time due to the fact that neither i believe has played in a world cup/european championship. Alfredo di stefano real madrid's first ever superstar is also ignored for playing for 3 different international teams.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
George Best was without a doubt, he played when the pitches were pure mud & the ball was as heavy as a punchbag, yet he performed magic. The only reason George Best isn't looked at as much as Diego or Pele is because of his lifestyle off the pitch. Obviously though, this is just my opinion.

@Razzle: I have to agree, never forget 66 when he lead West Ham to victory in the world cup (Not that I was alive lol).

Diego Maradona bought freestyle onto the pitch, he was the original, that's why he's one of the best ever. Watch the film In The Hands Of Gods...
In fairness Pele was playing at the same time if not just before Best, therefore same state of pitches (If not worse over in Brazil).

Best was a raging alcoholic, Maradonna was an alcoholic and addicted to drugs... Both have had about the same lifestyle off the pitch.

Best was good, no doubt about it. But I'd take Pele over both Best & Maradonna. It;s hard to say who is the best ever as we all have different opinions of players... but Messi will become one of the best is many peoples eyes soon.