remote administraton....how har can it be?

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Ok i have never had this may problems with remote administration before. I have been trying with both VNC and RAdmin. At first i thought it was because the NAT on the router was screwed, but the mir server and azureus work fine. What ever settings i give these programs and what ever rules i define in the router it will not connect, any ideas?

On a side note i can use these programs internaly but externaly is hopeless

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
yep kaori i have tryed over 20 different ports with the programs. i am totaly stumped by this

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
I have a feeling the port is still blocked by something.
Do you have windows firewall? try adding port 5900 in the exception list. Or turn it off completely.

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
Port forwards setup correctly on your router? Port allowed by any firewall you have on your computer?

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Yep. i have been through and done practicaly everything possible. removed the firewall from the pc, altered the programs ports, defined a static ip on the internal network, changed the protocall from TCP to UDP (i knew that wouldnt work but its worth a try) the only method i have not tryed is DMZ purely because it is not in the router.

Whilst i was playing with it i was observing how the connection behaves, its not blocked by the router but more along the lines of it begins to get to its destination then drops out.

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
Are you actually trying todo it remotely, or are you trying locally, using your external IP?

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
maybe pm me your msn.. I'll try to connect you etc... test a couple of things.

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
well this gets strange lol. vnc failed at leased 10 times last night, but it seems to work at the moment. i tested the serring first internaly over my internal ip address, then i set my laptop up to connect to a seperate network with a different internet and could not get a connection

BabyBear

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 19, 2003
Horsham, West Sussex.
Why are you trying to use VNC anyway? It's not exactly the most stable or performace giving bit of software.

If you are trying to connect to a windows xp or server 2003 machine the simply enable rdp, or in 2003 its enabled by default

then on your local machine providing your on a Windows XP goto Start > Run > mstsc

Port forwarding for RDP is 3389