Restore BIOS...

smoochy boys on tour

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
How would i go about doing this?

I recently updated my BOIS, dont ask why, i just done live updates lol :P And ever since, i have had this "error" message on system startup:

CMOS Checksum Bad
Press F1 to run setup
Press F2 to load default values and continue

Its nothing major because i can press F2 and my system boots up fine, its just annoying me, thats all. ><

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
just go into your BIOS settings, and select the "load failsafe defaults" let it reboot, then go in and reconfigure the BIOS settings to what you need to them be.

I assume since you know enough to flash your BIOS, you should know enough to be able to do this.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Well, its flash'd the BIOS automatically with one installation program (if that makes sense :P ).

Thats just the problem, my BIOS isnt saving anything. I tried that, pressed F10 to save and restart my comp (it done that), but as soon as i went back to my BIOS settings to check if it had saved them, it hadnt. :(

Going to try flash my BIOS.

EDIT:

To add to my current problem, i cant FLASH my BIOS. Due to the fact that when i bootup my pc with a boot disc (floppy disc), and type the required commands, it says "invalid drive/location specified" when i type c:. Even C & C:\ dont work -_-.

Last edited:

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
i guess you have sata drive?

either way - sounds like your battery on the mobo has died - replace it.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
I have a IDE hdd.

Could i use a battery from another mobo?? i have one on my old motherboard which i supose i could use. ^^

EDIT: Well, for now it appears to be fixed. I just restored the old version of my BIOS which came with the motherboard and it appears to have booted up successfully this time round, also, my BIOS now saves correctly, and the "beep" noise has gone Cheesy Sorry to waste your time. I have only just been given a link from which i could download my old bios ><

Last edited:

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
the beep noise tells u whats wrong if you goto your board site it should have listed what the beeps mean as theres no industry standard atm, you could always try a manual flash (peeling back sticker over cmos chip n getting some ultrviolet light in there)

atarian

LOMCN n00bie
Jul 15, 2004
lo dudes

just spotted this in a search for "gm commands" believe it or not...

it sounds like the battery has gone belly up. they last a few years at least it should be easier to replace than a laptop i have hear, this has to be completely stripped down - i kid you not.

the majority of mobos use 20032 lithium, but there are a few that use the 20016. iirc the difference is the length of time they'll last.

its always handy to have a spare.

not knowing what mobo you have, i sugest you clear bios the hardware way, it might clear up little niggles due to flash upgrade and old settings in nvr.

msi have a jumper to set near battery, power of remove batt, create jmper remove jumper to original position replace battery aNd off you go.

most have some sort of jumper around battery area, msi boards CAN be damaged by powering up in clr bios position.

hope this helps.

before i go, the beeps you hear at startup failure doesnt depend on mobo manufacturer but BIOS PRODUCER so mobo web site may not help. One day they all mean the same instead of meaning "yes you have a problem!"

atb
Steve