Server specs?

darknight

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2003
Anyone whos been hosting lately (I havent for a long time)

What´s the server systems specs?

I got a spare computer lieing here and thinking of hosting a permanent standard server, or for testing or whatever (just gonna put it by the router and leave on, only use by remote desktop) and im not sure if its enough. I know it used to for a full 1.4 (I used to host and play on it before upgrade.).

It´s a
733Mhz Celereon XD
512 mb 133 sdram
7200 20gb hdd

i upgraded processor yesterday from 500 mhz roughly,
and upgraded ram ages ago. When files were first leaked i hosted and playd a server for a while, and it worked fine as long as i put priority up.
There are only 2 sdram slots, both are used up with 256 mb. I got one 512 in another machine i could swap if need be.

Its currently got win2k server ed set up.

So anyone got comments on servers being used currently or propose minor changes that could make this a functioning server? I got 12mbps connection (4mbps up) and bandwidth is unlimited

Last edited:

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
To run the current set of server files with a user count of 50+ your going to need something like

RAM : 3 GIG

CPU 2GHZ +

JoeAshton

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 4, 2006
lol shut up 3 gig hahahaha

mir 2 runs fine with 1.5- 2 gig and like 1GHZ

darknight

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2003
yeah thats what i thought :Þ i´ll test the server as it is and see how it goes. Real servers originally were 1ghz Pentium XEON and 1 gb ram. That was wemade´s recommendations for a server back in the day. I doubt its changed much, im not far off, and it can be tuned down by removing unnecessary crap.

3 GB is wrong since 32 bit systems only effectively use 2gb per process running. You can tweak windows to use 3 gb, but it´s then using 2gb and 1 gb and is slower. M2server is a 32bit app

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
To run the current set of server files with a user count of 50+ your going to need something like

RAM : 3 GIG

CPU 2GHZ +
3gb my arse.

1gb -2gb max
2GHZ+

Just make sure you host pc dosnt have anything on it.

/ancient

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Whar you guys are as dump as i actually thought :D i would say 2.5 gig minmum only if the spawn rates are really rubbish though. I mean its only gone up so much since the 2.3 files have been about i remember running a 1.4 server on my old laptop 1.2 ghz 256 ram 40 gig hdd and they may have been insomnia server files / spawns.

Ask TD and the lomcn crew why the current files need so much ram.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Whar you guys are as dump as i actually thought :D i would say 2.5 gig minmum only if the spawn rates are really rubbish though. I mean its only gone up so much since the 2.3 files have been about i remember running a 1.4 server on my old laptop 1.2 ghz 256 ram 40 gig hdd and they may have been insomnia server files / spawns.

Ask TD and the lomcn crew why the current files need so much ram.
serously you dont know what your talking about. 2gb max.
go host TD's files. hell for it. ask all the TD Server owner's how much RAM and GHZ they are using.

/ancient

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Its funny i did search before i posted unlike you.

darknight

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2003
well i'll test the server full spawns and a few clients and post results. Zen might well be right, i havent used any files since 1.4 except mocking about on 1.9

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Its funny i did search before i posted unlike you.
Zen. you dont know ****. now **** off. people dont use 3gb because its unneeded. you saying you need 3gb is pathetic as people would not be able to afford. that is why Diamond (TEAM) made these files which dosnt use use much ram or GHZ

edit: these what people have with DM2

AMD Athlon 64 DualCore 4400+
2048mb RAM
3000GB Bandwidth pcm.

4.22ghz duelcore
2gbram
8mbline

X2 4800+ OC'd to 2.6Ghz, 2GB Corsair dual channel LED display RA

have you noticed that these people dont have 3gb ram? and these are really good hosting spec's

/ancient

Last edited:

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Good one daneo. DDR2 RAM is cheap these days infact im sure you could get 6 gig of ram for £100

Also If you want to run a half decent server that actually has a decent amount of places to hunt with a decent amount of mob spawns your going to need at least 2 and a half gig of ram to keep the lag away. You can keep thinking 2 gig will be fine though. Your probly useing the fresh files straight from the download which is why you dont need much resources. Soon as some players join though you will notice the ram useage flying up. I dont want to come back here and read a reply from you as i dont care what your opinion is as i know for a fact to run a decent server im right. So bye.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Good one daneo. DDR2 RAM is cheap these days infact im sure you could get 6 gig of ram for £100

Also If you want to run a half decent server that actually has a decent amount of places to hunt with a decent amount of mob spawns your going to need at least 2 and a half gig of ram to keep the lag away. You can keep thinking 2 gig will be fine though. Your probly useing the fresh files straight from the download which is why you dont need much resources. Soon as some players join though you will notice the ram useage flying up. I dont want to come back here and read a reply from you as i dont care what your opinion is as i know for a fact to run a decent server im right. So bye.
lol 6gb ddr2 for £100 as most mother boards only have 2slot's think theres acouple with 3 they would cost atleast £70 per stick. so i dont know where you got £100 from, i should know i built my pc from scratch and i payd £40 for 1GB DDR2 RAM yes the spawns take aload of RAM but if you dont have anything on the PC scept for a antivirus then there is no problem with the server using 1gb-2gb as ive been making private server's for the last 4year's i dont know everything which i would. but i do know what spec's should be ran and its also depends on the make and where you buy them you might be able to get it for less then 100pound on ebay but i wouldnt trust anything which is computer wise on ebay rather goto PC WORLD OR STAPELS
its like im making a server atm. its gonna be run on a

Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR2 533 RAM

which will be fast enough.

/ancient

Last edited:

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
You just summed yourself up there. PC WORLD OR STAPLES IMO. I have also been tweaking and running servers from 1.4 and most motherboards have a minimum of 4 ram slots. Ebay shops are fine to purchase from.

darknight

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2003
eeeaaasy. its no biggie o_O and btw windows 32 bit cant handle more then 4 gb of ram with some tweaking, exception being server editions where you can tweak to use up to 64gb with win 2k3 but is COMPLETELY useless as its only 2gb per app. SO 6 gb is absolutely useless, i even took out 2x 1gb 800 ddr2 chips from my machine when i added 2x 2gb 800 ddr2 because it would literally only slow the system down (hence my knowledge of ram thing, i researched indepth and tried xp 64 and vista 64 which is bugged the fu out)

ANYWAY

I stripped down win 2k to minimum it requires for this task (removing win2k server datacenter), the computers sole use of resources is the server. and its running smoothly, on 512 mb of ram with 733mhz processing power. I let it run about 2 hours with 3 clients, full mongen and mapinfo. The servers not under great stress yet, but its highly possible that running it as a server might require frequent reboots (i havent tested the stabability of the new diamond files, i doubt there was any official testing of ram leakage when the source was compiled).

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
1GB does the job if you have the set the server right, trust me lol.
2ghz would be fine also.

512MB does do the job but with a decent user count then Im sure it might bring out 2 step lagg now and then.
Dont bother getting 1gb ram until you have a half decent user count. Not worth the money.

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
euh lol: i do host a server (although i'm not actionly bothering to admin it :p, it's just sitting there sorta)
specs:athlon xp 2.8k (running at 2.09ghz), 1gb ram
it runs at 90-99% cpu load non stop with arround 53k mobs (which is alot more then the default euromir spawn considering it's got all them rz maps lol)

imho it's using to much cpu but really it doesnt matter wether there's 1 or 20 ppl the cpu doesnt really go up much (tested that when there was only like 60% load on smaller spawns)
ram is sorta full but that's mostly cause of ms sql not the mir server

and btw: i did do some checking to find and stop memory holes (i did my best to stop any hole i came accros), if it wasnt for ms sql draining ram like crazy these files would be quite ok running for weeks in a row :p (i know i done it :p)