services.exe high CPU usage

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
Only recently, in the last week or two, after or during playing Counter Strike my services.exe has been using 100% of my CPU.

I dunno if it's a game fault or computer side.

I know not much details, but would anyone have the slightest idea what it could be?

Will post computer specs if needed.

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
This is the Services Control Manager, which is responsible for running, ending, and interacting with system services.

Note: The services.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. In other cases, services.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

Took that off a site what it actualy does, maybe its worth doing a full system scan?

/Tofas

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
The only services.exe I have are in \Windows\system32 and \Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386, both being 106 KB.

Problem is, I can't close it due to it being a critical process, and if I forcefully close it the computer restarts within 30 seconds (due to it being critical of course :P).

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
After you exit the game does it stay at 100% constantly, as it says it deals with ending processes etc.

Wondered if its just straight after closing then it cools down?

/Tofas

P.s Green Name Woooo!

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
It's not as soon as I come off the game it just happens randomly during the day, but only after I've played CS, and just stays at 100% for atleast a minute (I'm inpatient and just restart :P).

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
just let it calm down.

Maybe it has problems ending sumin lol.

Its working its hardest to stop something you'v ran and your just kicking it in the ass by restarting it!!

COMPUTER BEATER!!!

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
It's quite a new computer so I don't really expect it to take long doing stuff.

Anyway, next time I'll just leave it for 10 minutes and see if it fixes.

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
It's not always whilst playing CS, it will just randomly shoot up to 100%, but if I don't play CS that day it never happens.

I've played CS today, and it hasn't happened at all, but some days when I've played CS it does.

Plus it seems to be hording the cycles, seeing as when it happens during playing it just stops the game and the screen goes black when I try to minimise, and when it happens when I'm not playing it will take 30 secs to a minute to do what I want it to, but still carries on using full CPU.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
I have the same problem. My CPU usuage is usually ALWAYS 100% :( However, the effects on my system from what i see are not too bad, somtime's mir can be abit laggy...The only real time i notice it is when i open control panel and try selecting an option on there, that's when it freeze's and my computer begins to run slow for 30secs or so =/

Please let me know how you sort the problem (if you get it sorted), thanks :D

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Perebble. Read through this:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1030139428

Just found on goole :P I am reading through it now to see if i can resolve the problem on my PC. I hope it works for you :) I suggest yu read through the lot, so you can see what other people have to fix the problem.

EDIT: http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/14619.html

Another page that may help :) Sorry there are soo many replys on them :( I am just searching and finding things lol :P

I have found the source to my problem....ZoneAlarm Pro.. :( As soon as i shut it down, my CPU usuage of 100% shot straight down to 7% lmao -_- Looks like i am going to have to search for a new firewall :P

Last edited:

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
urbanfox said:
Have you run an AV scan?

Doing one atm (McAfee VirusScan 8.0i), I'll post results in a while.

Do you know any good trial or freeware AV scanners? If so I'll run them as well.

ash1234 said:
Perebble. Read through this:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1030139428

Just found on goole :P I am reading through it now to see if i can resolve the problem on my PC. I hope it works for you :) I suggest yu read through the lot, so you can see what other people have to fix the problem.

EDIT: http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/14619.html

Another page that may help :) Sorry there are soo many replys on them :( I am just searching and finding things lol :P

I have found the source to my problem....ZoneAlarm Pro.. :( As soon as i shut it down, my CPU usuage of 100% shot straight down to 7% lmao -_- Looks like i am going to have to search for a new firewall :P

Thanks for that I'll look through it later.

Results of McAfee AV scan:
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1858/results3er.jpg

I'll post back if I still have the problems.

Last edited:

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Is there any chance you could be the full AVG virus scanner (pro NOT free version) on your site urban?

Would be really helpfuly because i like using AVG :P Cheeers.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Perebble said:
Is it uploaded (AVG-AV-FULL.rar)?

Also which others are antivirus? Downloading Norton '05 + updater and AVG atm.
Don't use Norton.

Kaspersky or Panda is the way to go. Kaspersky is from my own experience. Even with all the protection enabled (includes real time file scanning so every file that gets executed is scanned), it hardly uses any resources.