Slow ass computer

Join Discord

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
Dunno if anyone can help but basically one of my laptops is incredibly slow. Takes a good 10 minutes to boot up properly, and it often freezes for a while.

I don't have any viruses or malware or anything, I've read the Guide to "Windows Performance,Optimization and Tweaking" thread in this section and done quite a lot of the stuff in there. It could do with a defrag as I haven't done one in about 4 months but even when I do them it doesn't make much noticeable difference.

Specs are pretty crap, it's a 6/7 year old Vaio. Only have about 39 processes running and there's not that many programs on here at all (at least compared to some people).

Any suggestions?

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Suggestions? Yes, buy a new one lol

Nowadays you can't do anything with a 6/7 years laptop

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Format, if its still slow, it can't handle whatever your tryin to do :P

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Whilst writing this i got 50 processes lol

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
39 processes idle on XP is bad, especially for an old laptop... Go to black viper and disable the unnecessary ones.

Also a defrag of your HDD and a registry cleanup should improve your speed.

Last edited:

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
39 processes idle on XP is bad, especially for an old laptop... Go to black viper and disable the unnecessary ones.

Also a defrag of your HDD and a registry cleanup should improve your speed.

I disabled some stuff not long ago, there's nothing in system tray but AVG. The Black Viper website confuses me though, what am I looking for? :/

Also how do I do a registery cleanup :(

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I disabled some stuff not long ago, there's nothing in system tray but AVG. The Black Viper website confuses me though, what am I looking for? :/

Also how do I do a registery cleanup :(

Is your laptop 32 or 64 bit?

EDIT - it's most probably 32...
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Start > Run > services.msc > Enter

Go down the list of services, double click ones that are different to the list under "Tweaked" and change the Startup Type.

Registry;
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Uninstall anything thats not needed.

Check what programs run on startup and close ones you dont need (Be careful not to stop things that are needed)

Defrag as mentioned.

Profile rebuild would help... Create new user account, transfer all data from old one to new one, delete old one.

personally i just reformat them if they start to go really slow.

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
Done the services, I only had to change like 3-4 things though. As I say I've done the startup ones a few months ago and think I got most things off. Sometimes har dknowing what's what though.

Downloading the registry cleaner thing now, then I'll try the profile rebuild when I work out how.

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
use these 4 products (all free, just search google)

NCleaner
CCleaner
Spybot Search and Destroy
SpaceMonger (to get rid of files easier than add/remove)

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
eurgh. Anyone know anything about XP Pro? It won't let me create a new profile :(

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Wont let you create a new profile? lol sounds odd You cant use your computers name as the profile. Screenies if poss