Slow browsing!?!?!?

smoochy boys on tour

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
Ok getting very annoyed lately, i need some good help!!!

For sum reason, my internet has gone extremely slow. I am with Virgin - 8mps and its been brilliant up to the last week or so. It still says im running @ 7.6 mps but the browsing speed is amazingly slow :O

The things i have noticed are:-

1) Gaming is slow. trying to play WoW is impossible atm. I dont think its the server i am on since no1 else suffers from lag. Apparently i was on 4000 Ping the other day!?!?! But i also play Call of Duty 4, and it runs pretty good (not as good as it used to but playable!)

2) i use Mozilla firefox, and it carnt be that cause ive always used it. IE (yes i used to test it only!) runs at the same slow speed.

3) i have spybot S+D, and alos the Virgin PCGuard which has spyware and anti virus. Used to have AVG until it stopped updating 0.o

4) download speeds are still good. Average at 60 - 80.

So i have tried everything!!! Next step will be to ring them, anything you guys can think of before i phone????

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
you tried clearing out your old internet files and such?

access - system tools - disk clean up

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
Yup, all temp files ect. Just got ad ware removal aswell, so got both spyware and adware lol.

Also done defrag/scandisk ect.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
firewall may be slowing it?

or router maybe needs resetting?

apart from that, if your pc is completely spyware/adware free, and download speed is normal, i cant see why it should go slow.

WTF?!

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 3, 2007
Same thing happened to me and im on virgin wtf mines fine now though :)

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I had problems with Virgin, but www.speedtest.net was saying i was getting 100kb/s.

Got anew modem and its fine, until Virgin hack my speeds down because of their fair use policy.

Love

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 27, 2004
The Garden
Virgin screwed me over in the evenings, I swapped to Sky's 16mb for the same price as Virgin's 8mb and all my problems disappeared.

Could of just been because of the amount I download, but I digress.

:middle:

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
Only problem with Sky is the dumbed down router they give you, other than that its all good.

Try getting a router Chris, easier for when i come over as well :P

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
I dont have any usage limits though. And i havent really downloaded anything this month 0.o

Im using SpeedTouch 330, and with it comes a Dr.Speedtouch application to test the line ect.

It says there is a fault connecting to the internet....yet here i am posting lol. It just seems to have trouble connecting to things really, once its started to load the page its generally ok. Just takes ages to connect to the site or game :S

Im doing that speed test, its currently on 79%, Shows 706ms ping! and 244kbps ......... my connection on my toolbar shows 7.6mps still!

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
If I dont download, i get 4mb all day just about.

If i so much as download 1 film, my connection goes down to 700-1mb during the evenings

edit: Virgin do have a download limit, as such.

They have a fair usage policy that says if you download so much, there entitled to bring your speeds down during certain times. Its all in there T&C's. Alot of **** tbh.

Also get a Linksys WRT54GS router.

And long time no see ^^

Last edited:

mapadale

I dont have any usage limits though. And i havent really downloaded anything this month 0.o

Im using SpeedTouch 330, and with it comes a Dr.Speedtouch application to test the line ect.

It says there is a fault connecting to the internet....yet here i am posting lol. It just seems to have trouble connecting to things really, once its started to load the page its generally ok. Just takes ages to connect to the site or game :S

Im doing that speed test, its currently on 79%, Shows 706ms ping! and 244kbps ......... my connection on my toolbar shows 7.6mps still!
VIRGIN ARE SH!T.

When are people going to get the message and get rid of them.

Since taking over from NTL and TELEWEST, they have caused nothing but problems and are ripping people off and yes Lion you do have a usage policy we all have.

Why don't you just check the vigin support page on there site for service outage in your area, cause you will proberbly find that they are trying to upgrade the backbone and servers.

RoNeZ

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 2, 2004
Boro
Ok getting very annoyed lately, i need some good help!!!

For sum reason, my internet has gone extremely slow. I am with Virgin - 8mps and its been brilliant up to the last week or so. It still says im running @ 7.6 mps but the browsing speed is amazingly slow :O

The things i have noticed are:-

1) Gaming is slow. trying to play WoW is impossible atm. I dont think its the server i am on since no1 else suffers from lag. Apparently i was on 4000 Ping the other day!?!?! But i also play Call of Duty 4, and it runs pretty good (not as good as it used to but playable!)

2) i use Mozilla firefox, and it carnt be that cause ive always used it. IE (yes i used to test it only!) runs at the same slow speed.

3) i have spybot S+D, and alos the Virgin PCGuard which has spyware and anti virus. Used to have AVG until it stopped updating 0.o

4) download speeds are still good. Average at 60 - 80.

So i have tried everything!!! Next step will be to ring them, anything you guys can think of before i phone????

i had the same probolem last week phoned them up n i had somthing like 75% packet loss on my modem they come n fitted a new 1 n all is well :)

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
Well i went on it this morning, and it was fine, running great. But now at half 6 its very poor again.

But what i dont get, is i dont download anything. So the usage allowance should be no where near full!? I crnt even use the speed testing site atm cause its that slow it carnt connect!?