So how many of you are actually into music?

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Y'no what really grinds my gears?

When some prick is listening to techno crap on full volume and my iPod battery is dead...

Anyways, who on this forum listens to rock, or maybe plays some instrument?

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
I listen to lots of different genres. I play piano and guitar and sing ;o I listen to umm, 80s, some electric, some pop, some punk, some rock, lots of different things ;o

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
I used to play piano, found guitars to be more liked by me. Playing bass atm, but am buying an electric guitar soon :).

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
i listen to music a lot but not rock. Only RnB, dance, hip hop, rap, trance but saying that i do like the odd rock song :)

AgentSmith

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 30, 2003
Sheffield (S2)
my aunt taught me how to play bass when i was younger but couldn't do it now.

ill listen to anything but not dance/niech, some chick tellin me to feel good over and over again. maybe if i had taken a boat full of drugs sure. but no.

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
i listen to music a lot but not rock. Only RnB, dance, hip hop, rap, trance but saying that i do like the odd rock song :)

im like kill. except i dont like dance or trance. i like most music, not goth or emo though. rock is a good genre of music, rock is what produced alot of music today.

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
i like rock and most sub-genres of it, e.g death metal, grindcore, hardcore, thrash etc.. you get the idea.....

i also play guitar and taught myself a bit of the drums too, i play on my girlfriends bass alot too..

muffinpie

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 19, 2005
I like rock i cant stand it when im on the bus and there is a group of chavs at the back listening to that mc ****e so i just put on some avenged sevenfold or dragonforce to drown them out

I can play the snare drum (marching band drum) thats about it

Raptor Jesus

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2006
Im a fan of the rock genre, particularly punk rock, but im dont really divide by genre, I like all kinds of music by certain bands, and sometimes Ill hate a band by like a particular song/album.

Generally I enjoy every album by AFI up untill their most recent techno-electro ****fest in which they basically butchered their careers. Other bands I like include 1208, Yellowcard, notbychoice, The Jam, Ash, and various others.

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
I like rock i cant stand it when im on the bus and there is a group of chavs at the back listening to that mc ****e so i just put on some avenged sevenfold or dragonforce to drown them out

See, you clearly do not know that much about music, even though you claim to do so. You may say other genre's are sht or what have you, but thats because you don't have a 'ear for music' so to speak. I am taking music at college, not playing, but producing, and even though im mainly into the hip hop scene, i still respect most sorts of music, as you have to know what builds up to make a good song. It's not all about lyrics and beat, it's mainly what it takes to perfect the song. For example, drum & bass, all drum & bass beats are started with 1 beat (Fact) and then the dj will add his own beats to it, and that's what makes good music. Another example is dragonforce, even though i won't listen to their music, all of the members of the band are good at what they do, which is what makes good music, not just that they can walk into a recording studio and use machines to make every note sound pefect, but to actualy make a beat yourself, without using machines all the time, is what makes good music.

Basically, what i'm saying is, the only way to tell good music, is if the band / group / artsist can perform well live.

Raptor Jesus

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2006
For someone taking music at college you clearly have no grasp of the terminology yourself. A good beat and Lyrics do not make a good song at all.

Many dance tracks have no lyrics, and neither do any classical music from past Musical Era's. A poem can have great lyrics but has no music to it at all, meaning no beat. What your doing is confusing a good hip-hop song which is about beats and lyrics, with every other musical genre.

For instance a decent rock song would be based on good guitar riffs that go well together, as well as lyrics. jazz music is all about blending, considering a lot of jazz is just completely ad lib.

Also, thinking a particular Genre is ****, isn't anything to do with having an ear for music, its down to personal preference. I hate Emo music, but that doesn't mean the music is entirely ****, becuase someone else will like it, and enjoy it so much they will have a good slash-fest to it. Just like hip-hop tunes inspire idiots to steal cars and whatnot.

Now as someone doing music on college, you surely know that beat is just a measure of music, as in timesignatures (4/4, 3/4, 5/8) etc, and these have absolutely no bearing on how good a song is, just the amount of notes in each bar.

Don't believe me? Ask your music teacher, or read up on subject material before you go trying to use it. He'll I did Music at GCSE level and got an 'E' grade because I detested the theory and the fact they would only accept classical music compositions, which was ****ing outstanding for someone like me who played the drums. But even with my 'E' grade I still new what "beat" meant.

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
i play on my girlfriends bass alot too..

So thats what you crazy kids call it these days, damn hoodlums.

I like music from every genre. Frank Sinatra to Slipknot, Michael Jackson to Godsmack, Run DMC to Bullet for my valentine......well you get the picture.

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
Listen to Metal :), listening to Bring me the Horizon at the moment. As for instruments, I can play Guitar, Drums & Bass :).

/Haz
Bring me the horizon, yum yum! :P

I like music from every genre. Frank Sinatra to Slipknot, Michael Jackson to Godsmack, Run DMC to Bullet for my valentine......well you get the picture.
you better believe it! ;p

Peart

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 14, 2006
When music sounds like its being made by machines/computers (whch it often is), I cannot listen to it. Music is about feel and emotion, computers have none of these things. Therefore techno/trance/whatever = crap.

I listen to mainly progressive rock, and I play the drums

muffinpie said:

:cool: how long you been playing? Snare drumming is awesome

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Interesting. Surprised to see so many people admit to listening to techno bull**** :p.

Anyways, Peart has probably described what i feel the best. Was wondering how to put it in words.

Soul

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
Suffolk, England

I agree with this guy!

All music is good in it's own way. Certain songs I like from certain genre's but then again there's some I can't stand.

/Jay