Spell bug!

Somebody Else

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
Spell bug! HELP!

The infamous spell bug. I've been searching for another two hours, done all the forum searches I can as well as looking at maybe two-thirds of the forum by hand, and can't find an answer outside someone telling someone else the problem was answered elsewhere and nobody being able to find it.

Problem: Only one spell can be used before having to relog.

I hear it's a client issue but I'm using the Holleymir3.exe that came with the 3.55 files, so I don't know what's actually causing it.

Any help appreciated muchly.

Edit: SOLUTION POSTED BELOW!

To assist with people searching for this: magic spells spell bug relog log skill skills

Last edited:

Zordon

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 26, 2008
Manchester, UK
i had a problem similiar to this that was caused by too much velocity on weaps, maybe check that, if it is over maybe 50 velocity I think it causes spell lock.

Upvote 0

Somebody Else

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
3.55 works perfectly well, just can't get mine to work, and since there's little help available with 3.56 as well as reports of lots of bugs, I'm not going to try to use it.

Velocity isn't the issue dude ;)

Upvote 0

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
Never come accross it, seems like an old problem going back to 2005 and fixed by later versions of server files. Other than that I have no clue as never come accross this one before.

Upvote 0

Somebody Else

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
Thanks anyway Chim.

Things I have now tried, none of which have worked:

- Using Client included in HL3.56 Files (interface broke, still only one spell at a time)
- Using Client .exe from Sting3G (no difference, although the .exe's were slightly different)
- Reverting to the LS Magic DB - No effect.

This is currently the last real issue facing me in creating a server, if anyone has ANY ideas, I'm all ears :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mapadale

Thanks anyway Chim.

Things I have now tried, none of which have worked:

- Using Client included in HL3.56 Files (interface broke, still only one spell at a time)
- Using Client .exe from Sting3G (no difference, although the .exe's were slightly different)
- Reverting to the LS Magic DB - No effect.

This is currently the last real issue facing me in creating a server, if anyone has ANY ideas, I'm all ears :)
Where have you got the files from that you are using?

Upvote 0

Somebody Else

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
The 3.55Working.rar on Mirfiles...? The rest of the client is Euro, from Mirfiles. The DBs were originally LS, as was the Envir folder I think (it's been a while since I got hold of the envir and DBs, I have been working on them since well before I got this iteration of my server going).

[Kaori, you're a legend :) ]

Edit: Right, after a load more tinkering I have discovered this: Exporting the HL_Magic DB to excel format and immediately importing it again breaks it. I don't know why, but after doing so (without even editing anything) you can only use a single spell before having to relog.

WHAT THE HELL?!

Also, it does mean that there's a solution; edit all the spells by hand in the DB...

Edit 2: FOUND IT!! YES! It turns out that the UnKnowString column does not like having spaces in it, it must be blank, which is not easy to do since SQL automatically fills it with <NULL>. Any ideas how to do this easily without having to type and delete in every space?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gandy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2003
Never tried it but could you not go into table design and set the default value to a space? I never had a problem Re-Importing the magic db. Although i copied and pasted from excel into a txt file and imported that

Upvote 0

Somebody Else

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
Using spaces doesn't work, it actually needs to be completely empty o_O which is kinda annoying. Importing a .txt might be a little better although it's still very awkward.

Upvote 0

gandy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2003
Just did it with a text file and it still filled it with NULL. im not sure how to change it so it doesnt fill it with NULL but if i found out ill let you know. Sure ive done it before though unless i typed them all in manuall, i cant remember.

Upvote 0

Zordon

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 26, 2008
Manchester, UK
Just did it with a text file and it still filled it with NULL. im not sure how to change it so it doesnt fill it with NULL but if i found out ill let you know. Sure ive done it before though unless i typed them all in manuall, i cant remember.

Old post i know but just had this problem. Select HL_Magic in database and right click, select design table and then disable ALLOW NULL in UnKnowString. Save and there you go, problem free magic database. Just clear all the cells so there is nothing in them at all, then Backup your database after and when you restore will be saved as you have done it.

Upvote 0