Start problem

smoochy boys on tour

Twig

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 17, 2007
Well my brother has just gone back to uni but he gave me his files so me and a couple of my friends could play. I followed his guide to set them up and i started with just running it on 127.0.0.1 and it worked fine then on my lan ip address 192.168.0.2, everything worked ok.

Then my bro told me to make a no-ip address since i dont have a static ip. anyway i did this and i put that address in the 3 files that needs to be changed for it to work online. anyway my friend logged in fine and i get disconnected at the char select. He told that it would happen and i would have to install a loopback network adapter. so i installed it and it said limited or no connection, i tried logging in again and i still got kicked at the char screen. Anyway i rang my bro last night and he said to set the connection up manually...which i did.

Now i get to char select, make a character, click start and nothing happens..almost like the start button doesnt work. I jus keep clicking it and
nothing. I tried ringing my bro but hes busy with an assignment and he asked me to come here and ask, so any ideas? i did do a bit of searching but couldnt find anything relating to the start button not working.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Hows about some REAL info, for example:

Are you connected directly to the MODEM (ADSL I guess)?
Have you got a router?
If you have a router, what make Model is it?

If your IP changes a LOT - then how do you expect to run a live server? When IP Changes, are the players in game not disconnected?

Upvote 0

Twig

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 17, 2007
Ok demonic, i just set it up as my brother did a few months back and he got it working fine.

Yes i am behind a router its the annoying one that comes with Sky BB... a Netgear DG834GT. I have all the ports forwarded and my friends can log on so thats not the issue. I dont really expect to run a proper live server, just something me and my friends can mess about on without all the fools you normally get on private servers.

Also i run the DUC client on my comp so everytime i reconnect (which is about 1 or 2 times a week) my no ip address is already updated so my IP address changing wont effect anything as far as im aware as they connect with my no-ip address.

As i say, my brother usually sorts any problems (infact all i ever did was play the server) but ive picked it up rather fast.

as far as i can see:
- The files and client r fine as it runs on 127.0.0.1
- The loopback adapter is working as it doesnt crash at select char
- the files work online as my friends can connect

its jus when i click start nothing happens, not even the zoom through the door animation, i can just keep clicking it over and over.

Also my bro got it working months ago with the exact same setup, only differance now is im using a different HDD.

Upvote 0

Twig

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 17, 2007
No ideas then? Could be wrong but it looks like its not connecting to the game server from the Sel gate?

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
I had to connect using the internal IP instead of the external one when I was using a Belkin router, until I got a NetGear router, now I connect fine using the external address.

You could try making a .cin or HL_Mir3g.ini file (depending on server files) with the your internal IP (192.168.0.1) or whatever it is and using that to connect to it yourself (while your friends still use the external IP).

No idea on that loopback stuff, so I can't comment.

Upvote 0

Twig

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 17, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. The files are 3.55 so i use the loader to connect. I saved 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.2 (my lan ip) and my no ip address in different server lists so i usually try them all. I think my bro said last time he used the no-ip to connect with but i cant really remember and havnt spoken to him for a few days.

Upvote 0

Twig

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 17, 2007
Well i fixed it, Thanks for your help the people who posted.

Upvote 0