Task Manager End Task - PK Avoidance. Now Fixed.

smoochy boys on tour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
As you know im all about trying to stop grief play, i hate it.

So after doing the logging accounts to insta disconnect fix i wanted to work on the force shut down fix.

I thought this would be harder. but it was actually really saimple. It was identifying where in the code it actually happens.

This fix is for the Brown Grief of ending the task via task manager. You cant Alt+F4 while brown as it wont end the process, so it has to be done manually via task manager.

What i have now done is linked the players BrownTime to the client disconnect checks in the mirconnection process.

I did a video as you all know i like my videos ^^

As you can see, the Brown players game closes as expected but the server still keeps the players connection alive all thew time he is brown, which left me free to kill him, he also drops aswell while brown so there is the risk of dropping.

This has caused quite a controversy on my view of PK but regardless of your view, the ability to FORCE disconnect your client should not be an option.

I have linked this to the BrownTime and Conquests where it is used maliciously, this will not affect legitimate players playing on the server and lagging out.

in Server>MirNetwork>MirConnection.cs

find the Process()

1616074110620.png

this tells the server to instantly disconnect any client that is no longer connected.

this is what i changed it too.

1616074212559.png

What does this actually do?

The first one is easy, if your brown you will remain in game untill you are no longer brown, or dead if you force shutdown.

the second one:

Everytime you attack something or are attacked by a player or a monster you set a timer known as the Globals.LogDelay (default 10 seconds)
This stops you logging out for 10 seconds ( players bypass this by logging into the same account, which i have fixed, but also by force closing down the client)

If you lag out, you still stay connected and then you disconnect once the server stops recieveing communication from the client.

This will now keep the "player" connected on the server untill the timer is up, eliminating the force shutdown bypass.

i linked it to WarZones because its common to see player force quit to avoid dying during a sabuk wall conquest/ war

this will not affect guild wars. players will still be able to use this method untill i find a suitable solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pete107

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
What's the brown grief thing? I'm unfamiliar
attacking players, then ending the task to instantly disconnect from the server.

it doesnt have to be a brown thing, any player can do it, but i added loads of "grief" caveats on the server, like not being able to RT/DE/TT while brown, so players would just disconnect

my philosophy is, if you go brown you should be forced to stay and fight. you went brown for a reason, being able to diconnect/rt/de/tt is a cheap tactic.

EDIT: scenario: your attackign a wizard, he recalls in his partner who is tougher than you, your going to lose the fight, so just end the task, instant disconnect, come back 20 seconds later, no longer brown

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
attacking players, then ending the task to instantly disconnect from the server.
Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

what's the point in that lol

Reactions: ThePacifier

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

what's the point in that lol
not dying and not dropping?

EDIT: players use it to avoid dying.... youve never seen it?
Post automatically merged:

ive changed it to LogTime and not BrownTime as that measures the last 10 seconds of combat. that will affect anyone and not just brown players now

1616067992930.png

astrix

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Unsure on this topic so going to give a brief scenario.. Im pking with a group of mates. 3 of those are on virgin same as me. mid pk we lag out brown? Thus means our characters stay in game? I mean my net and numerous peoples net have gone down over the years no matter how much we pay or good it is. Ive had people log on my char when my net has gone down to save me dying or breaking kit. What you have done here is just completely fked any one who is pking no? cant rt tt while brown????? Lets say im a wizard , warrior. A tao comes in greens boss lures room over forces me to then pk him to make it easier or safer for me to kill boss.. i then cannot tt or rt if im brown and decide to stop him greifing me on the boss? Please correct me if im wrong here fella

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Oh I misread the part about you disallowing people to RT/TT/DE when they're brown lol.

Very harsh actually, I could forgive not allowing RT's but no DE/TT to completely escape the situation if they realise they ****ed up and started a fight they can't win? Or even worse, go brown by accident

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
Oh I misread the part about you disallowing people to RT/TT/DE when they're brown lol.

Very harsh actually, I could forgive not allowing RT's but no DE/TT to completely escape the situation if they realise they ****ed up and started a fight they can't win? Or even worse, go brown by accident
The no RT/TT/DE while brown was on my server for a long time and recieved very pleasent feedback from players who dont grief...

those who moan are the players who enjoyoy fighting but dont have the gumption to stick around. If im reading it right, you want to be able to fight and have a way out if you start to lose?

go brown by accident? you know there is an attack mode called Peacefull? even Law Of Defence mode which ONLY attacks brown players?

there is no situation in which you go brown by "accident" and if you do a standard "sorry, wrong mode" will stop any further comabt.

Unsure on this topic so going to give a brief scenario.. Im pking with a group of mates. 3 of those are on virgin same as me. mid pk we lag out brown? Thus means our characters stay in game? I mean my net and numerous peoples net have gone down over the years no matter how much we pay or good it is. Ive had people log on my char when my net has gone down to save me dying or breaking kit. What you have done here is just completely fked any one who is pking no? cant rt tt while brown????? Lets say im a wizard , warrior. A tao comes in greens boss lures room over forces me to then pk him to make it easier or safer for me to kill boss.. i then cannot tt or rt if im brown and decide to stop him greifing me on the boss? Please correct me if im wrong here fella
you didnt play my last server then asterix as i have alot of grief protection in place,

like grouping players while in combat,
trading while in combat (this was used on artificial to mess people up, run up and trade to open dialogs on the other players screen)

ill address your paragraph as best i can.

Im pking with a group of mates. 3 of those are on virgin same as me. mid pk we lag out brown? Thus means our characters stay in game? I mean my net and numerous peoples net have gone down over the years no matter how much we pay or good it is.

if you lag out during the games process you dont actually leave the game straight away anyway, players have always moaned they lagged out then came back to find they had died. this isnt something new?

What you have done here is just completely fked any one who is pking no? cant rt tt while brown????? Lets say im a wizard , warrior. A tao comes in greens boss lures room over forces me to then pk him to make it easier or safer for me to kill boss.. i then cannot tt or rt if im brown and decide to stop him greifing me on the boss? Please correct me if im wrong here fella

no one forces ANYONE to pk, you choose to fight for the boss... if a tao and warr come in and steal a boss your not attacking... thats mir and always has been, if you think you can take the tao and the warr you fight for the boss, if you start to lose you feel you should be able to just DE after starting the fight?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Morganja

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
The no RT/TT/DE while brown was on my server for a long time and recieved very pleasent feedback from players who dont grief...

those who moan are the players who enjoyoy fighting but dont have the gumption to stick around. If im reading it right, you want to be able to fight and have a way out if you start to lose?

go brown by accident? you know there is an attack mode called Peacefull? even Law Of Defence mode which ONLY attacks brown players?

there is no situation in which you go brown by "accident" and if you do a standard "sorry, wrong mode" will stop any further comabt.

Yeah... Usually how it works, for example, Player A attacks Player B. A quickly realises B is much stronger and TT's - He's left the cave. B continues his hunt. That's not grief 🧐

I think you need to look up the defintion of the word accident lol. Mistakes happen. On your server the penalty is inescapable death :ROFLMAO:

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
Yeah... Usually how it works, for example, Player A attacks Player B. A quickly realises B is much stronger and TT's - He's left the cave. B continues his hunt. That's not grief 🧐

I think you need to look up the defintion of the word accident lol. Mistakes happen. On your server the penalty is inescapable death :ROFLMAO:
yeah and so it should be lol....

you start a fight and start to lose. suddenly its an accident?

i dont get how you think pking should be escapable by a simple button click? you attack in a cave for mobs/bosses and start to lose... you should die you started the fight..... thats the whole point..

player A starts to attack player B, player B starts to beat player A, player A force shuts down the game to avoid dying. that is grief

• Haha
Reactions: Morganja

astrix

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Its astrix ;) I have no issue with you. other than the * to me silly ideas* I did not mention anything about trade bug/ grouping i have played mir along time fully aware of how things work here fella..
Just looks to me like you have not fully gone through the thought process of pking or being pked. Seems to me you dont like it and want to cater around the people being pked. I think you have answered questions without thinking here mate. But no i did not like the fishing aspect of mir so i did not play it.

I think you should re look at what you have typed.. How does a player not force me to pk if they are stealing my boss or luring on me? should i just tt? or wait till he's killed the boss? This is mir. even when i was a noob i had high lvls try take a boss from me its upto them and me to fight if we want too at a later date i can pk them back? no hard feelings they wanted the boss so tried to pk me simple really.... The way you have done it completely shuts down all pk when solo or at a boss. The comment about you should die when starting to pk is kind of mind numbing .. i feel dying and being able to drop your wep or any item you wear +bag is punishment enough? Unless you want to punish people for pking it seems? that for me and many others ide imagine the fun stops. Not every one is pve/ fishing afk many play mir for the pvp side.

I guess some people don't like pk. Each to their own tho it is your server after all goodluck!

Reactions: Kevweasel

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
yeah and so it should be lol....

you start a fight and start to lose. suddenly its an accident?

i dont get how you think pking should be escapable by a simple button click? you attack in a cave for mobs/bosses and start to lose... you should die you started the fight..... thats the whole point..

player A starts to attack player B, player B starts to beat player A, player A force shuts down the game to avoid dying. that is grief

Not "suddenly it's an accident", I'm using a different scenario where a genuine accident occurs.

Here's another:

Player A is on group or guild mode. Player B walks into A's AOE (could be purposefuly or otherwise). A goes brown and apologises. B takes advantage of this situation, knowing fullwell that A has no way of escaping because he can no longer TT/RT, kills him and takes his drops. That is grief

Reactions: Wond and astrix

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
unsure what the sarcy reply is about i have no issue with you. other than the * to me silly ideas* I did not mention anything about trade bug/ grouping i have played mir along time fully aware of how things work here fella..
Just looks to me like you have not fully gone through the thought process of pking or being pked. Seems to me you dont like it and want to cater around the people being pked. I think you have answered questions without thinking here mate. But no i did not like the fishing aspect of mir so i did not play it.

I think you should re look at what you have typed.. How does a player not force me to pk if they are stealing my boss or luring on me? should i just tt? or wait till he's killed the boss? This is mir. even when i was a noob i had high lvls try take a boss from me its upto them and me to fight if we want too.. the way you have done it completely shuts down all pk when solo or at a boss. The comment about you should die when starting to pk is kind of mind numbing .. i feel dying and being able to drop your wep or any item you wear +bag is punishment enough? Unless you want to punish people for pking it seems? that for me and many others ide imagine the fun stops. Not every one is pve/ fishing afk many play mir for the pvp side.

I guess some people don't like pk. Each to their own tho it is your server after all goodluck!
if you read my comments as sarcy then that wasnt my intention, im being blunt as im alsio trying to fix a few bugs while typing.

my last server wasnt the fishing server.

Not "suddenly it's an accident", I'm using a different scenario where a genuine accident occurs.

Here's another:

Player A is on group or guild mode. Player B walks into A's AOE (could be purposefuly or otherwise). A goes brown and apologises. B takes advantage of this situation, knowing fullwell that A has no way of escaping because he can no longer TT/RT, kills him and takes his drops. That is grief
why is player A on group/guild mode when in a cave solo? if hes not solo and is indeed in a group/guild then player B wouldn't take advantage of the situation because he would be taking on a group/guild no?

EDIT: its also not grief, its YOUR fault for going brown... lol your mistake..

astrix

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
if you read my comments as sarcy then that wasnt my intention, im being blunt as im alsio trying to fix a few bugs while typing.

my last server wasnt the fishing server.
Nah i miss read. edited it fella i prefer being blunt also. ah i see my bad get them bugs fixed and have another read at later date :) goodluck!

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
why is player A on group/guild mode when in a cave solo? if hes not solo and is indeed in a group/guild then player B wouldn't take advantage of the situation because he would be taking on a group/guild no?
I'm personally always on group or guild mode but OK for arguments sake let's say I've just seen somebody I don't like in the cave and I intend to PK them. I change mode from peaceful to group/guild so I can begin my attack the next time I see them. Meanwhile the aforementioned scenario plays out with random Player B?

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
I'm personally always on group or guild mode but OK for arguments sake let's say I've just seen somebody I don't like in the cave and I intend to PK them. I change mode from peaceful to group/guild so I can begin my attack the next time I see them. Meanwhile the aforementioned scenario plays out with random Player B?

so your on peaceful, you Player A change to group mode after seeing player B and attack him, let say you use firewall and player C runs into it, players B and C can now attck you freely, because your brown after all, you started the fight, not player B or C, you just dont like player B.

You should be able to end the fight by getting out of their because you know you will lose? nothings stopping you from running away for 10 seconds untill you go white then you can rt?

Hers my problem with PK, i have seen videos of pk fights that last 30+ minutes because players RT round a room pot up HP and come back in, the fight is determined by who has the most HP in their bag, not by skill, not by level, purely by HP pots.

I remove the duration of a fight by saying, if you start a fight you stick around untill it ends, by you dying or your enemy. which is how (IMO) it should be.

no one forces another player to go brown, players go brown of their own volition, be it through the spells they cast or their actions. and even if it was a mistake, everyone is accountable for thier mistakes :)

Or alternativly... your lvl 26 (you have firewall afterall), so high chance your in a guild, you dont like the other player who is also in a guild, so you start a guild war. go on guildwar mode and player C cant attack you or he can but he will go brown and you can freely tt/rt/de

Its astrix ;) I have no issue with you. other than the * to me silly ideas* I did not mention anything about trade bug/ grouping i have played mir along time fully aware of how things work here fella..

I think you should re look at what you have typed.. How does a player not force me to pk if they are stealing my boss or luring on me? should i just tt? or wait till he's killed the boss? This is mir. even when i was a noob i had high lvls try take a boss from me its upto them and me to fight if we want too at a later date i can pk them back? no hard feelings they wanted the boss so tried to pk me simple really.... The way you have done it completely shuts down all pk when solo or at a boss. The comment about you should die when starting to pk is kind of mind numbing .. i feel dying and being able to drop your wep or any item you wear +bag is punishment enough? Unless you want to punish people for pking it seems? that for me and many others ide imagine the fun stops. Not every one is pve/ fishing afk many play mir for the pvp side.

thanks for the re written version. everyone has their own opinion on pking, i dont mind pk at all, i quite like a good rumble. but to be in a fight and you know your winning and the other player TT's because hes losing... wheres the fun in that? your ina fight, you stick it till its done or you run away.

if im solo in lets say, BC, im on an ET, along comes mr big and his mates and they take the et off me.... well they cant unless they kill me as im already fighting it and its "claimed" so they go brown attacking me for the ET, chances are they are going to win so i can TT anyway because they attacked me.

i cant see how someone can "take" a boss from you and force you to attack them. unless you had never attacked the boss and was stood close getting ready to attack it? if your attacking a boss and a group comes in and also starts attacking it, they cant steal it because its claimed to you, all the time you keep attacking it, you continue to own it. they would have to kill you to remove the claim, which means they go brown, which means your free to TT if your about to die?

I dont punish PK btw, there is no PK point system on the server, players dont go yellow or red.

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
No no, you're taking my scenario and adding bits to it. Nothing to do with guilds or groups. All players are solo.

Player C (my enemy) isn't even in the room. As I said, I saw him rt'ing around the cave so changed my attack mode accordingly, continue levelling or whatever I'm doing until I see him again. In the meantime, Player B comes along and accidentally (or otherwise) stands in my AoE so I turn brown. I apologise like you said I should, as it was not my intention to attack him (remember I'm off Peace mode for somebody else) but instead of accepting my apology he takes advantage of the fact that I can't escape and kills me. And you're telling me that's not grief, but TT'ing after attacking somebody would be.... ?

Lionsm!ght

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2015
No no, you're taking my scenario and adding bits to it. Nothing to do with guilds or groups. All players are solo.

Player C (my enemy) isn't even in the room. As I said, I saw him rt'ing around the cave so changed my attack mode accordingly, continue levelling or whatever I'm doing until I see him again. In the meantime, Player B comes along and accidentally (or otherwise) stands in my AoE so I turn brown. I apologise like you said I should, as it was not my intention to attack him (remember I'm off Peace mode for somebody else) but instead of accepting my apology he takes advantage of the fact that I can't escape and kills me. And you're telling me that's not grief, but TT'ing after attacking somebody would be.... ?

Add a KoS list and mode would be good for that. Can only damage players on your list or who are brown

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex

So your saying somone not accepting your appology and killing you is grief? BrownTime is 10 seconds, if you legitimatly hit someone by accident. they start attacking, you run around untill your white, its 10 seconds.... its not a long time. continue to attacking the player resets the timer, but if its an accident. you can outlast the browntimer no?

and its not grief to attack someone, start to lose and TT to save your cowardly arse? :) (not directed at you, directed at the coward who TT'ed after starting the fight)

im not sure if you played an archer on EuRe Tai but this system was in from the beginning.

Add a KoS list and mode would be good for that. Can only damage players on your list or who are brown
you dont need a KoS mode, you have all attack, if you see someone you dont like you try to kill them, if you cant kill them because they are better than you, you shouldnt be able to get out quickly... its your fault for starting the fight, you "stay untill the jobs done"

ive fixed the main post :P

Status
Not open for further replies.