[TD DM2] mysterious mob lag

smoochy boys on tour

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK
hello all,

need some help from experianced hosts, on bandet we have been having some trouble for over a month now battleing mob lag on the server, we have been through the mongen and there is nothing out of place or bad in there,

the files are fully updated to td's latest release in august, before we upgraded we didnt have this issue, after the server has been running for about 1 hour we seem to get mob lag over the whole server not just selected caves the ram usage on the server is below the 2gig it has so not a ram issue, the cpu is running from 40 - 60% usage when at full spawn so not a cpu issue so it has to be the files but were at a loss as to what is causing it or what part of the latest update is causing it

as i said we have gone through the mongen

all market npc's have been trimmed so they are not reloading there shop lists so often and in not such a high amounts

iam at a loss as to what is causing the problems is there anyone who has experianced the same issue and how did you resolve it ? or does anyone have any further suggestions as to how we can cure the issue, the mob lag is mucking the server up big time we have seen the player count drop from 60 per day every day to 30 if were lucky as people are so hacked off with the mob lag,

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

koni

~HeavenSent~

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 9, 2005
Chorley
I had tis prob when i first started useing TD's file & i all so got sticky feet about a hour in to th files running, But now iv just started useing them again they seem fine im useing the all in one one's now thow.

Sorry i couldent help much more.

p.s what elce is runing on the p your useing the files on?

Upvote 0

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Half the amount of spawning mobs.

See if it makes a difference after 1 hour.

I know that you said ram and CPU ain't an issue, but just try using half the mob spawns for a hour or so.

=)

/Ash

Upvote 0

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK
still have mob lag mate, iam now starting to think that something or an update was done incorrectly when we upgraded the files to the latest ones dont know lol

Upvote 0

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
firewall

antivirus

o/s

server files

thats it lol

Disable your antivirus, this can often cause alot of cpu usage when its not necissary. If the server is purely running mir2 server files and nothing else, theres no need for the use of an Antivirus protection, your firewall will do the job you need doing.

Upvote 0

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
The only other thing I can think of other than that would be maybe down to some poor programing that TheDeath failed to spot, maybe a particular item or type of mob race/image could cause this to happen. Try removing everything that has recently been added since the lag has appeared. If that solves your problem re-add everything bit by bit and see if there is anything inparticular causing the problem.

Upvote 0

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
To build on Karl's idea.

Take all spawns out of game, then go in-game and spawn 10,000 hens or something and just wait a hour or so, see if it lags then.

Alternatively, don't spawn anything at all and wait a hour or so, then spawn 1 mob and see if that lags.

Could be something running in the files which after 1 hour of going starts to lag your server which is why the mobs are struggling to run smoothly.

Can't see what though, other servers aren't having problems.

/Ash

Upvote 0

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK
possibly solved...

we set guild emblums to false in the setup.txt now its been running for about 8 hours with no mob lag and player count is up to 40 at mo with no mob lag ! well chuffed, hope it stays that way time will tell ile keep you posted

Upvote 0

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
Seems good to know, I take it since you havent posted about it your lag has been solved? If so, be interesting to know if its just your server of other servers that have this issue using guild emblems?

Upvote 0

koni

V.I.P
VIP
Mar 14, 2006
Southampton UK
yeh seems to be running fine m8, it must of been the guild emblums as we tried everything esle with no result but as soon as we took away the guild emblums the mob lag was gone and has stayed away =)

Upvote 0

Dave85

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
I remember somewhere, maybe the updates.doc that TD said that the advanced guild features were 'experimental' and that it would cause quite a large amount of extra cpu useage.

This then resorts to a post i made ages ago about what was the best way to build a servers hardware. Regardless of how uber the server is you run the software on, it will always end up causing 'runtime DB errors' or lag spikes, either seen by mobs or general gameplay. The way to have any server setup is split the server and bridge it, this way it will run very smoothly regardless of how many entries you have in Mongen etc.

Upvote 0