TheSims2

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
yeah came out on friday, i bought it for the missus (and myself :P)
its got great AI and some nice features, but its exceptionally buggy (like mir3Europe buggy :S) things like the character/family Avatars dont work.

But its fully 3D and the sims are extremely customisable. But the one things thats got worse than the first one is the lighting. even with windows on ever conceiable space of the wall, rooms are still dark. It supposed to be "realistic lighting" but if it was realistic, it means ur bedroom window would light up the space directly around it with the rest of ur room dark as ****.

Also, u can now pick from colours for most items in the house, such as furniture etc, the only things that makes this crap is the severe lack of items. I dont think u get any of the sims1 expansion pack items. Its extremely basic.

If the fix the bugs etc it will be good. id give it a current rating of 5/10 :( they need to fix it up fast.

NewBlood

Natural Selection
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2003
Manchester
Atomicide said:
yeah came out on friday, i bought it for the missus (and myself :P)
its got great AI and some nice features, but its exceptionally buggy (like mir3Europe buggy :S) things like the character/family Avatars dont work.

But its fully 3D and the sims are extremely customisable. But the one things thats got worse than the first one is the lighting. even with windows on ever conceiable space of the wall, rooms are still dark. It supposed to be "realistic lighting" but if it was realistic, it means ur bedroom window would light up the space directly around it with the rest of ur room dark as ****.

Also, u can now pick from colours for most items in the house, such as furniture etc, the only things that makes this crap is the severe lack of items. I dont think u get any of the sims1 expansion pack items. Its extremely basic.

If the fix the bugs etc it will be good. id give it a current rating of 5/10 :( they need to fix it up fast.

Why would they make it good with nice features, they want to drain every bit of money they can with countless expansions.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
i wana buy this game but is it really that bad :O most the other sims were good i got every expansion and thesims2 out :O can u go and pllay it online?

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
You cant play it online, the game itsself is stunning apart from the lack of items etc. But the new features and additions are great.

Its not just a case of Get any old job, or just make up a life. When u create a sim, the "personality you give them determines actions, u also have to pick a "life goal" such as Romance, Family, Fame, Money, and something else. The ingame u get "goals and fears" they start with things like "make a friend" and as u complete them ur happiness grows... if u realise ur fears things like "have a bad party etc" u become more unhappy. It also has ageing in it (can be turned off) and so on

the features are amazing just the lack of items and the many bugs let it down. but i expect there will be an eventual patch to address them.

HolyCow

Atomicide said:
but its exceptionally buggy (like mir3Europe buggy :S) things like the character/family Avatars dont work.
Does construction mode (building walls, doors, windows, etc) work on your copy? Doesn't on mine, wondering if it's a bug or something wrong with my install.

Eddster

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 8, 2004
i d/led it yesterday n its good seems 2 b running fine with me but ant tryed buildin yet. for all who dont know the money cheat its

Read on if u want it if not dont

Ctrl+Shift+C - gets cmd menu:
to close cmd menu type : Exit
To get 1000 type : kaching

Gl with it :P

Camelot

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 25, 2003
California
Been playing TS2 for about a week now.
and I have the CD version.
So I'll give my few cents on the matter :talk:

Okay Atom not sure how you mean the bug about the avatars, mine work just fine.
Although there are quite a few little bugs, but not that really interefere with gameplay.

Also Holy, build and such works okay for me, made a few houses.
Maybe a reinstall would help.
I know theres a technical support board if you go to the sims2 website.

So yes the graphics are 100% better that sims1.
I love the versatility the game offers.
The aspirations are quite nice, you choose when you create your sim,
what their lifelong goal will be,
and what they need to do in order to achive platinum happiness.
I do miss all the expansion packs and objects.
Oddly I miss being able to go downtown,
the community lots they have now can't compare with oldtown or downtown.
I dont miss pets as much since you now have babies to play with but I'm dying to have a magic mirror
(hacked object that would refresh your needs, max your skills, personality etc *sighs*)
and all of the thousands of other user made objects I have in my sims1 game.

But as newblood said it's just a way to squeeze out cash from us to buy ep's.

btw I've read on the sims2 bbs that there are
a planned 7 expansion packs that will come out for sims2 :eh:
Also if you have Simcity4 you can import custom made terrains to s2.
Nice if you enjoy building your own towns.
And if you enjoy building houses you can now build at least 5 levels
(my son has made one so that's how I know),
you can have attics, basements, decks, and porches.

So my overall score for sims2 at the present is a 8/10 for all the great graphics,
fun things you can do to your sims
(get your male sim abducted and impregnated with an alien baby, work on cadavers, half a dozen ways to die lol, etc etc)
The downsides are some minor bugs, the lack of original objects,
and the fact that we'll have to buy so many more ep's just to regain what we lost from sims1...
ah well you really have to play it for your self to see if it suits you I think.

Also if you want 50,000 simoleons type
ctrl+shift+C then type motherlode -- and use the up arrow to repeat it
instant millionaires :angel:

YoYoYo

Milo's Sex Slave
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2003
My house
Atom said:
It also has ageing in it (can be turned off) and so on

Ahh, finally, an ageing system :D Always annouyed me when they never looked older, even if you been playing for 2 years, kids always look like... kids. They never grow any pubes, lol. Do kids on this version grow aswell as adults?

I think i might wait till a fix comes out for sim2 before buying it. I'll be buying animal crossing in the mean time.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Camelot if u read the Help board on the BBS you would see the extreme amounts of problems people are having.

Some cant use build and buy modes

Quite a few have the picture problem, it appears to be a problem with the sims faces laoding, cos i get blank thought bubbles sometime and it appears to be thought bubbles where a sim's face should be.

Also once i move my sims into a house and go back to the neighbourhood screen the house walls dissapear o.0

It takes 10-15 mins to save

theres some serious issues lol. Im running it on

2gig processor AMD ATHLON
512MB ram
128MB graphics card (Nvidia cant remember exact name think its MX5400)

game appears to just not be very happy atm and they need to adress these issues quickly. I know some people have copies that work fine. But these issue could be because of windows SP2 or lack of, **** like that. The comp its running on at the missues house doesnt have SP2 but mine does, so i may see if that makes a difference.

but once their fixed it'll get a 10/10 for me

Camelot

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 25, 2003
California
Didn't mean to imply there weren't any bugs as there obviously are
I just said that I didnt experience any
that interfered with my gameplay.
I have issues such as being unable to invite more than
2 guests to a party or occasional freeze problems
even though the help bbs suggests it's a ram deficiency problem
(unlikely considering I have a 2.5ghz, 760 ddr ram pc)

:yawn:

oh and yoyo- everyone ages and eventually die, you create family trees :)
scenario:2 sims fall in love and marry, they have a baby, who grows into a toddler, then a child, then a teen, then adult, meanwhile the parents become grandparents and eventually die, and can even leave an inheritence to their kids.

Last edited:

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Camalot can i ask what version of windows ur running? Cos so far no1 seems to have thought these problems could be due to versions of windows etc. The missus is trying hers on a compy with a 256mb Graphics card (ATI Radeon) 1 Gig Ram and a 2 Gig Processor. And all the driveers etc have been fully updated today. Its also Running XP SP 1 so we can see if theres any link between XP versions and problems.

Dark12345

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 4, 2004
Portsmouth
i h8 sims,there bul boring and i dont like the way they speak lolz and there thick! =P there like 30 yrs old and dunno how 2 cook ect. lol cmon u learn it in skool =P

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
hey atom is it true the sims spk english? if so im seriously thinking of buying this game!

you recommend it?

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
They dont speak English, i would recomend it but only after a patch has been released for the many bugs, If id known the state of the game beforehand it wouldnt have bought it. Since its only a regular PC game theres no rush to get it first to get an advantage etc. unlike MMORPG's where u want it 3 weeks before everyone else so u can get a million levels higher etc.

Camelot

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 25, 2003
California
Atomicide said:
Camelot can i ask what version of windows ur running? Cos so far no1 seems to have thought these problems could be due to versions of windows etc. The missus is trying hers on a compy with a 256mb Graphics card (ATI Radeon) 1 Gig Ram and a 2 Gig Processor. And all the driveers etc have been fully updated today. Its also Running XP SP 1 so we can see if theres any link between XP versions and problems.

I'm running Winxp home on both pc's that TS2 are installed on.
My pc is 2.4 with a intel extreme graphics card, 760 ram
Mine has all sp updates.
Hubbys is a 2.7 with same graphics card and 640 ram.
His pc is only like 2 months old, with no sp's installed, pretty much
same as it was from the box.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
:S wonder what it is thats causing the variations in problems then. Guess i better check the graphics card drivers etc are upto date. This is its a nvidia Graphics card and many games are developed with Nvidia standards etc in mind.

HolyCow

I know the cause of mine now. It's installed on both mine and my girlfriend's comps and we're both using No-CD cracks, when we use the CD it's fine. Oh well.