Thoughts on why we Feel Mir is Dying...

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Background
From the first 2.9 Days, I battled on & off with Mir3, I would leave, come back and leave again only to pick up the server files due to boredom, trawls some Chinese sites and grab the latest updates and back I was on the wagon. Each time I came back It would lessen the lure I had to mess with Mir3 until finally it sits there on a machine until I choose to Format the thing to use for something else, in fact the only time I booted the game was to prove something worked for this forum.

You have to remember that I have seen (as most have I would imagine), all the spells, the maps, the mobs and explored most nooks of what the server can do. I have translated all the Quests, completed them a few times now and so forth. I was not impressed by some extra pixels that were supposed to be a glow and so on.

The Server files.
Progression is what it is all about - if anything can make a person come back to running or messing with a set of server files, it is because there is a load of new things to be looked at. As it's not a hobby of mine to sit all day reading Chinese web site and waste god knows how long translating files into English - I am glad in that sense that I personally have moved on from Mir3 itself. Unless somebody hacks and leaks out what CD has done, then we are stuck with the same old files for a long time - thus no progression.

The Client
2003 was a while back, 800x600 did not look so bad back then and I know your all going to say "Graphics dont make the game" - this is a load of crap. Compare Wolfenstein 3D to say Battlefield 2 - which would you rather play today??

Its Limited in what it can do due to the fact it uses Sprites and each frame is built up of 4 frames for movement and 6 Frames for Fighting. Let us also touch upon Cheating, if anything can ruin the game, its people getting and using Cheats. I have client for example that stops PARA from working on you and allows auto run etc, I found this no harder then going to a Chinese Server site and grabbing there client.

Comparing other Games
Lineage 2 Java
This is broken down into Server Development and Database Development, the files can be grabbed via SVN and are updated at least once a Day. People play the real server (anybody) and report back on what is wrong, not working or whatever, so in turn the Community help the developers which help the community. The client is no harder then getting the latest and updating and changing the Hosts file.

World of Warcraft
Once again this has two groups (Server / Database), is open source Written in C++ and is updated almost daily. Much the same as above in that people who play the real thing help tell what is wrong.

I won't compare the graphics as this is silly - these two games blow Mir3 away in features and looks.

The community
I keep mentioning this word, so I will explain a few things why it went wrong with Mir3. I asked for people who played the real server to list in detail what each Quests (1-12) does, from this I would have made a set of files for sharing that had everything in English but NOBODY helped whatsoever.

The Bottom line it seems with Mir3 at least from my point of view is that people are only interested in Getting the files, making sure they work, add some new features and run a live server, Nothing ever is given back period. This in turn killed the Community as I like to call it cos if he wont share then I wont share type thing.

The People
There used to be some good people (as in who know what they are doing) working with Mir, they have long since left and moved onto other things, this leaves the handful of stragglers with In-Built Graphics card and crap machines desperate to run MIR.

The end..
You wont agree with anything I have wrote, argue that its not dead and is not dying. Has wemade pushed out any new major patches of late? Is Mir2 not dying a death (P2P) etc etc. My Feeling are it is dying and hell maybes its dead. Go look at the number online across the mir2/mir3 servers and then go and look at how many are playing WoW/L2 private servers, - you will be shocked.

hallmat

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 19, 2007
Im sorry to say but demonic is right

look back to about 2004/5 loads of people were helping and relesing stuff to the comunity.

what i feel is happening is

people make a server want it to be the best out there and then by this very small but damaging feeling/ thought / what ever you want to call it

you are killing mir 3

yeah i know how much work goes into making a server. but still if people learn how to make new things then people can make mir3 better as a whole

also if/ some how we could get hold of the new server files would the comunity as whole work on them to make them english?

TBH

i think only a few people would.

i have decided to name name's of the people i think might work in them

Demonic, coly, mythonline.

these three are the main people i think are actually doing somthing for the comunity.

and how do we repay them by stealing there stuff with out a thank you or is there anything i can help with

i know i did it but now im trying to give back

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
My post was not trying to Damm people and say your all crap or selfish by the way or that Mir is like the worst game ever. When LOMCN was a little baby boy the people that ran it + those of Power were deep into Mir as a whole, they provided the Steeping stones (The files), people added to this and it moved along.

Now if you look at say for example the Lineage 2 Java forums / site, there is something Different and the reason why it keeps working. The people who run it are also passionate about keeping the development going. They also dont have some section that people sit all day and write garbage and slag each other off and is the focal point of the forum. People asking stupid question (answered in WIKI, Search or Stickies) and also those who come with there TxT speak are dealt with very quickly - in other words a more Mature set of people regardless of there age.

It takes a big push to get any ball Rolling and this needs the people behind the Scenes to work as a team, to work towards a goal. Somebody has to be brave enough to share something in the first place. Like it or not people, LOMCN is a shell for the Leechers, the bored people with nothing better to do then Slag people off and the Management to run LOMCN even though they have since long moved on from MIR.

You all hold the key to changing this, Anyone can browse Chinese sites, anyone can Translate files, Anyone can seek out new updates and post about it, be it mobs, maps or features we may have missed.......

I leave to discuss anyhow - thougth I would Liven up the Mir3 section with a bit of a Debate, this is NOT meant to be a Slagging match, post your views on Mir, maybe tell us why you thing it is NOT dying at all...I wanna hear all.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
I would like to argue about the fact that graphic is the thing that make a game, go and search for a mmorpg called tibia, if you look on it you will see whats bad graphic is, and still they number of peoples that play there is growing fast, very fast.

Tibia has update every 6 month, it includes new features ect, if Mir3 had source we could make our own new features, it doesn't have to be much, you mentioned that you think that glowing is not impressing you, yet peoples find it very impressing - that just show that you don't have to make uber complicated features to make the game interesting.

In the last few days I was talking to many peoples about making new source, I was told from some that to add dll would be better solution but according to some other there is no point of adding dll since we need to know the source to do anything with the dlls.

About new source - I heard that it took about 3 month to make the DM2 source for mir2, and its coded really bad. What chance do you think someone like me - someone with no experience in programming such a huge program, to make anything that can work even if I am spending the right amount of time on it? Coly was trying to build a new source yet no one helped him back then. He offered me help in making source, but since I know I cannot make a source alone, at least not one that can work, I am going to follow Coly instructions hopefully with hallmat at least for the first few steps, hopefully that after we release them peoples with the right skills will join us.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Few thoughts on Programming Mir3:

The Chinese Wrote the Files from Scratch and was leaked out (Aint they alwasy), LOMCN made them open source and from what I can see, it fizzled out and a few went there own way (though dont quote me on any of this, just the impression I got).

The Mir3 JOB was "Taken" from Wemade /China and from this again the Chinese worked out how to program in a DLL to add in the new Spells. The guy who done this had good intentions and was after the Community (There is that word again) progressing the files, instead they raped him blind and made there own versions which they then sold - motto, if you can sell it, the chinese will make it lol..

Now There has been a long line of people who as well as been able to program wanted to make Mir3 from scratch, not a single one to my knowledge has got to the end stage, they got as far as In game, running around. If we look at when I was trying to crack 3.40 for example (Armadillo), I spoke to some very good hackers / crackers but when they saw it was this stupid game called Mir3, they would not waste any time on this and thus I had to work it out myself (with Coly Help for the Key part).

I understand what you want - you are sick of the limited Server files and protected crap, you want to expand and make a better version but the road is a hell of along one, steep learning curve and limited people to help you get there. The only people you will help is probably yourself (in getting a decent server files) and the server owners (what few there is).

I see your Still going on about this Game vs Games which have BILLIONS online and is proven to be good, both Graphics and Game play. People still play MOHAA for god sake, everyone to there own as they say - good luck with your In-Built Graphics Card machine and your Celeron Processor :)

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
Demonic you keep saying that you left mir3, I don't buy that, I have seen you more then a few times in the last weeks so I am guessing somewhere in you, you still wanna help. I hope that after we release the first part you will join us.

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
Same thing was said over and over again by various people, it's still here, bit like Tetris :)

Dr3AmScAp3

Banned
Banned
Veteran
The hard part is the re-codding of everything not just the server files but the client as well.

Yes the chinnese have done a good job of these, but they are buggy as hell. The problem you have is that the lesser exsperienced people want to put up private servers as a way of making a quick buck and no imagination is put into there server.

Its all good being able to write scripts and edit maps or even create them, but this is all part of the server files ne ways. So really its not as if anything new is really been added, just a remake. The problem we have in europe is that most are to lazy to do any work and would rather have everyone else do the work for them.

The biggest problem with the lack of the mir community is the lack of updates that come from wemade and having a set of files that really you cant do a lot with. Look at how mir2 has progressed compared to mir3. People just dont want to take the time and learn, they want everything on a plate and unfortunatly this is what is killing mir3 in the first place.

If people where intrested in trying to re-write everything for mir 3 including the clients, then we would have a better community. But due to the lazyness of most this wouldnt happen and the fact that the codding is a nightmare as well.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Same thing was said over and over again by various people, it's still here, bit like Tetris :)

Tetris is more fun to play and that music man - woot

The hard part is the re-codding of everything not just the server files but the client as well.

Yes the chinnese have done a good job of these, but they are buggy as hell. The problem you have is that the lesser exsperienced people want to put up private servers as a way of making a quick buck and no imagination is put into there server.

Its all good being able to write scripts and edit maps or even create them, but this is all part of the server files ne ways. So really its not as if anything new is really been added, just a remake. The problem we have in europe is that most are to lazy to do any work and would rather have everyone else do the work for them.

The biggest problem with the lack of the mir community is the lack of updates that come from wemade and having a set of files that really you cant do a lot with. Look at how mir2 has progressed compared to mir3. People just dont want to take the time and learn, they want everything on a plate and unfortunatly this is what is killing mir3 in the first place.

If people where intrested in trying to re-write everything for mir 3 including the clients, then we would have a better community. But due to the lazyness of most this wouldnt happen and the fact that the codding is a nightmare as well.

You my man are 100% right, we want to bake a cake but we don't have the ingredients or the recipe so we all just go out to the shops and buy one ready made, swap a few currants over and call it our own :)

What it would take is a few things to happen:
  • A Fresh from scratch re-write of the Server, Gates and Client.
  • A Set of tools to make Mobs, Items & Maps (3D Max to WIL Like Wemade use)
  • A Web site 100% dedicated to this cause with SVN and a team you can trust.
I have seen games that Look like Isometric yet the object int he game are made up of 3D Data, thus the client is small, easy to add yet more mobs, as many as your HD can store and it can be rendered to look really Pretty.

We cannot and will not Let the Chinese make us beg for Files which we then have to Translate anyhow and work with Protected files. Cruel Dragon could have kept making Free (110 User Limit) and lost no money but he got greedy and in turn probably helped kill Mir anyhow.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
We cannot and will not Let the Chinese make us beg for Files which we then have to Translate anyhow and work with Protected files. Cruel Dragon could have kept making Free (110 User Limit) and lost no money but he got greedy and in turn probably helped kill Mir anyhow.
we? :) thats good, now go and write your name on the new team thread :)

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
I work for nobody - always on my own, you get better results that way !!!

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
I work for nobody - always on my own, you get better results that way !!!
An expert like you should know what amount of work a new source means, so I highly doubt will do a new source alone.

And btw since you know more then us, its more likely that we will work for you instead ^^

turboshandy

ur a smacktard!
VIP
May 11, 2005
Great Yarmouth/Cambridge
yea the gfx bring it down but you need to impliment things in mir which are in other games.. for instance. we have farms which are needed to provide food for your personal pets.. the personal pets need looking after ( a bit like a tamagotchi ) then we have factions.. certain guilds war over land to have access to caves.. this is worldwide ( Guildwars factions)

Me and cheeky are very heavy gamers. and have pretty much every game and set of server files under the sun.. i think we're up to 80 sets of files now and have played well in the region on 200 - 300 different games.

yea source code is a ***** but there is a lot more you can do with mir than you think, and me and cheeky have proved it

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
yea the gfx bring it down but you need to impliment things in mir which are in other games.. for instance. we have farms which are needed to provide food for your personal pets.. the personal pets need looking after ( a bit like a tamagotchi ) then we have factions.. certain guilds war over land to have access to caves.. this is worldwide ( Guildwars factions)

Me and cheeky are very heavy gamers. and have pretty much every game and set of server files under the sun.. i think we're up to 80 sets of files now and have played well in the region on 200 - 300 different games.

yea source code is a ***** but there is a lot more you can do with mir than you think, and me and cheeky have proved it
I wish there was source code :(

Smaug

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jun 20, 2007
I aggree with Turbo, The MiR private server community In my opinion does not actually run from MiR now in certain aspects.

Its more of the server owners imagination and other quailities. I tend to take ideas from other games such as Linage2 and World of Warcraft and impliment some of the features into MiR.

Paine

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 17, 2004
England
I find mir is dying because too many people setting up high rate servers with the intention of making a quick few quid.

Not many people are interested in playing long term low rate servers, they want 1k dc, lvl 10k+ and to be able to 1 hit every1 and all mobs. Most of the players on private servers use cheats aswell, which ruins the game for us that dont.

Most of the servers i have played dont seem to have anything challenging or entertaining. Everything is quite the same from each server as well. IE all starting areas the same, certain caves unused, find books etc from WD/NR. All high lvl areas can be solo'd. All stats not balanced, CWSets etc to make warriors not have to pot. No new minigames or things to do within mir.

As already said while we may not be able to add new graphics/spells etc, we are able to take ideas from other games.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
when you play any game for as long as most people here have, it will get boring. iv played mir since beta open week, which is 4+ years i think. no matter what you add to mir, its still the same game, and hence will still be the same old thing.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
when you play any game for as long as most people here have, it will get boring. iv played mir since beta open week, which is 4+ years i think. no matter what you add to mir, its still the same game, and hence will still be the same old thing.
yea but all the new players who didn't play that much mir are getting bored of mir just because of that high exp...

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
if uve never played mir before, you shouldnt be so cheap and jump onto a private server. its not the best way of getting a good feel for the game.

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
With Protect Files you have to many Problems , to many Bugs and you can't setup new things. I self work with Direct Memory Modifier to make some things and it is not the best way I know . atm it is the only one way -.- ...
I Know Server and Client Source sets better as the things we have atm...
@Tiberia ^^ I know, I have see more then 60k Player and Nitendo Graphics^..
The Big Problem is all say uahhrrr Mir3 die blaaa ... a Hand full give things out
and a Car full leech and say "New Server with full new things" ... I go look and say yep all the things we have made for long time ... -.- Bored
This is my Point how I say zzz I give not more out never...
We have so many things make for Mir3 Tools Script things and new Quest System to make many Quest, ahmm One Server Team atm has Illusion Server things from me. I know you look o.O and say way ? jep the team
Share things and have interest to make new things in Mir3. (called Xetrem)

PS: I hope my English is not to bad and all can understand me...