Tips to system cooling...

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
ash1234 said:
Would it be possible to cut a whole in the side panel which would fit an extra fan in it?? obviously i would find a way to secure it into the side panel, but i just want to make sure that it will be ok to have a fan in the side panel (blowing air out, obviously :P ).

Tell me your current fan configuration.

Dano said:
LIKE I SED NATURAL AIR FOLOW ,,,, but urban u can also use "still" water i do it seems wered with it can hold alot mere heat that averrage and i still recon dyes r bad but thats my personal oppininon 2 clean id just pump hotish water through it

Opening the side and putting a big fan there will not hurt anything.

What is is still??

SkyDragon said:
i heard if u put ur computer in a freezer it gives it nice and cool`

A freezer does not have the cooling capcity to cool a computer.

Dano

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 18, 2006
Wales
urban trust me on this 1 it could verry well harm pc coz of the natural air flow and if u disturb this by blowing ainr into it lefyt right and center its gunna disturb the natural flow causing stuff like "slight oressure" "back flow" all soprts of probs ,,, by putting side fan in it worth it but make ure its a extraction fan 4 god sakes lol or then there WILL be pressure lol

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
water cooling is just a pump pipes and an raiditor that fits in a cd rom slot is it not? or was that just my m8`s bro invention? :S

pouring water inside ur case on the comonents solves it all you then have nothing to keep cooled or take over your social life sorted? NO?!

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Dano said:
urban trust me on this 1 it could verry well harm pc coz of the natural air flow and if u disturb this by blowing ainr into it lefyt right and center its gunna disturb the natural flow causing stuff like "slight oressure" "back flow" all soprts of probs ,,, by putting side fan in it worth it but make ure its a extraction fan 4 god sakes lol or then there WILL be pressure lol

IF you take the side panel off there is NO air flow path anymore.....

Putting some big fan on the side of your PC is fine...

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Dano said:

Didnt you say Urban told you this, and he knows about it?? oO

Anyway, i have just fixed an extra fan underneath the hard drive, its keeping the HDD temperature down at around 21-23 at the moment :) I wasnt sure if i could fit another fan, but at the front of my tower, underneath the hdd, there was a fan space. I was abit worried about putting it there, because directly infront of this fan space, its a closed area where the power/reset button sits, but it appears to be fine and blowing out the bottom of the tower and the side at the front. If that makes sense lol :P

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
A HDD can get hot, but a HDD does not put out a lot of heat, which is why putting even some 80mm extremely low cfm fan does the job fantastic.

Depending on the case, airflow, number of drives, etc, you can do a lot of things. I have a big lian li tower when i just took off all the 3.5 drive covers and stuck a fan facing them. Of course this is a PITA for dust over time if you don't got a air can, but I don't care it does the job. Usually can use a rubberband and put screws slightly in and secure it with the rubber band on screws to inside the case on something else.

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 19

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
:O nice. I was going to put the fan that way, slow it blows air into the tower. But i put it the other way, so it will blow the hot air around the hard drive out. It seems to be working a treat. My PC has been on since i last posted, and it yet hasnt gone to a higher temperature of 25, and it was only at 25 for about 3 mins whilst i was doing alot of things on my computer (playing mir,copying music & listening to it etc). Since then, its had a steady temperature of 23.

When i took the front panel off to fit the fan, the dust i saw was unbelievable. Its wierd how a PC can pick up so much dust over a period of time.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Hmmm, never thought about that lol.

But the front of my case is closed. Just small slits/wholes down the front, and a smalle on underneath at the front, so i recon that is for the air flow for the fan?? well ill try it, cheers for your reply :)

EDIT:

I have turnt the fan around, so air is blowing into the front of the tower, and out the back (as yu said urban). The temperature of the hard drive is around 18-22 :) I cannot seem to check the CPU temperature or any of the fan speeds using speedfan (mayb because its not plugged into the mobo, just directly to the PSU). Also, will this help cool the hdd by alot? if i have that fan blowing in air then directly next to it have this fitted into one of the hdd bays/slots:

pho11hp.jpg

Last edited:

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
I am not sure, an i3e or something, ill look with CPUz in a min :P Its a 5-6 year old pc, Emachines 530.

I have added extra ram,and a new hard drive.

mymobo3kl.jpg

Last edited: