Sep 7, 2012
Hey, could i get some feedback on my new login and charselect scenes please

[video=youtube;eWNCx5IZL5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNCx5IZL5g[/video]

zLji0l4.png

2hWZbUx.png

FK2NWbz.png

5ijTKlw.png

0v3TBxN.png

Literally any feedback will do, even if it is bad. Just try not to be a d*ck about it

thanks in advance

Last edited:

azzi

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 16, 2005
I like it, but don't like the font, it resembles too much of a cartoon look for mir

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Font is straight out of Crash Bandicoot and I think you've really overused the whole corners/background thing. Every window is the same. Frankly the original is miles better.

Soz

p.s. moved

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Good effort, always good to see UI/screen improvements :D I'll give my two cents, and try to avoid the annoying 'I don't like it /end message'

Font is far, far to overshadowed. Sometimes being subtle can have a much bigger impact, which I think will work in this case.

When designing a screen like that, or in my case a webpage, I always try to focus on what the users eyes should be drawn to naturally. With everything going on in your screens the focus is completely out of whack. If I could take the new char screen for a specific example, the buttons (char and sex 'selection boxes') should be the focus, as that's what is in use. The wording is just subtle direction. The character is impressive, but still shouldn't be the focal point.

The backgrounds are ok, but look at that new char screen again. You have 16 corners (16!) all with heavy artistry. The inner boxes, here used should hae known, or plain border backgrounds in my opinion, leading to a greater emphasise on where you have used the heavier effects (aain making much less natural eye 'clutter').

It's good work, but thess are my thoughts :D

Last edited:

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Practice make perfect, here's my what I think you should revise.

Background - it's way to blurry, consider either using a different texture (or a pattern overlay over your current one, reduce the saturation and sharpen before hand).

Font - Tai's right, really reminded me of crash bandicoot, also, you are using way to much blur. When using that setting on text, use the "precise" option rather than "soft".

Border - Well done for cutting it out, try using the pencil mode on eraser to get finer detail and less clutter (Or you can duiplicate the original, take away saturation completely and whack up the white light levels, creating a white mask for you to use as a selection tool) and don't use it so much lol

Buttons - I actually like the buttons, but give the center some more detail, it looks empty.

Labels - Might be worth reducing them slightly, depends on your next font choice lol

Lastly, don't repeat stuff to much, your last window tripped out; keep it simple and crisp (remember, it's an pixel art game).

Keep at it.

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, really didnt expect to get such mixed opinions on it.

I like it, but don't like the font, it resembles too much of a cartoon look for mir
Judging by other peoples opinions the font might be a little better with less glow to it

Sorry don't like it.
Simple & straight to the point

Font is straight out of Crash Bandicoot and I think you've really overused the whole corners/background thing. Every window is the same. Frankly the original is miles better.

Soz

p.s. moved
Thinking about changing the font but having less glow on the next one, or as breezer said i could have it on precise instead of soft. (Sorry, i didnt know where to put it, Crystal Help seemed an alright place in my head)

Good effort, always good to see UI/screen improvements :D I'll give my two cents, and try to avoid the annoying 'I don't like it /end message'

Font is far, far to overshadowed. Sometimes being subtle can have a much bigger impact, which I think will work in this case.

When designing a screen like that, or in my case a webpage, I always try to focus on what the users eyes should be drawn to naturally. With everything going on in your screens the focus is completely out of whack. If I could take the new char screen for a specific example, the buttons (char and sex 'selection boxes') should be the focus, as that's what is in use. The wording is just subtle direction. The character is impressive, but still shouldn't be the focal point.

The backgrounds are ok, but look at that new char screen again. You have 16 corners (16!) all with heavy artistry. The inner boxes, here used should hae known, or plain border backgrounds in my opinion, leading to a greater emphasise on where you have used the heavier effects (aain making much less natural eye 'clutter').

It's good work, but thess are my thoughts :D
Always good to see feedback like this :D I'll agree with you on the border being over used. I hadn't really thought about catching the users eye to certain points

Practice make perfect, here's my what I think you should revise.

Background - it's way to blurry, consider either using a different texture (or a pattern overlay over your current one, reduce the saturation and sharpen before hand).

Font - Tai's right, really reminded me of crash bandicoot, also, you are using way to much blur. When using that setting on text, use the "precise" option rather than "soft".

Border - Well done for cutting it out, try using the pencil mode on eraser to get finer detail and less clutter (Or you can duiplicate the original, take away saturation completely and whack up the white light levels, creating a white mask for you to use as a selection tool) and don't use it so much lol

Buttons - I actually like the buttons, but give the center some more detail, it looks empty.

Labels - Might be worth reducing them slightly, depends on your next font choice lol

Lastly, don't repeat stuff to much, your last window tripped out; keep it simple and crisp (remember, it's an pixel art game).

Keep at it.
Feedback from the photoshop master himself. seems people really dislike the border and font :P. I liked the buttons the most tbh. (the border took forever to trim out lmao)

Could be worth using the Word "Class" instead of Job, and "Gender" instead of Sex.
Understandable, but its always been Job and Sex hasn't it?

Lol'd pretty hard, I thought that too.
I didn't even think of crash bandicoot

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
I did chop out the border myself, I will check my PSD's as I actually ended up redrawing it pixel perfect (problem with the Korean is , they suck at UI work , so everything is shite to work from).

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
I did chop out the border myself, I will check my PSD's as I actually ended up redrawing it pixel perfect (problem with the Korean is , they suck at UI work , so everything is shite to work from).

Remade the entire thing O.o i wouldn't have the patience. Hopefully getting a graphics tablet this xmas so i'll be able to do a little more with PS. My mouse atm is a little f*cked to say the least

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Remade the entire thing O.o i wouldn't have the patience. Hopefully getting a graphics tablet this xmas so i'll be able to do a little more with PS. My mouse atm is a little f*cked to say the least

You don't have to do the entire thing, just pick a corner and do HALF the design, duplicate it , flip it horizontally and rotate into position , merge it , place it in the 3 other corners and draw a 3 pixel border between them.