UK ISP Speed Test ~ Lets Test It!

smoochy boys on tour

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
My sig shows mine.
I'm actually only getting 50mb at the mo due to some crap or other in the line. Of course, they say there's nothing wrong but the engineer said I should get about 78.
I pay about £30 a month from BT.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Beat this upload

3780929675.png

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
My sig shows mine.
I'm actually only getting 50mb at the mo due to some crap or other in the line. Of course, they say there's nothing wrong but the engineer said I should get about 78.
I pay about £30 a month from BT.

Did my test at home similar to yours and is also with BT, forgot to post. Had same with BT at my old house too, engineer relocated router from middle of house directly to incoming & we quadrupled our speed.

Out of curiosity do people here buy premade ethenet cables or make their own out of curiosity? I made all of mine at new house, so i got small loss due to nabbing cable from strip out jobs at work.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Did my test at home similar to yours and is also with BT, forgot to post. Had same with BT at my old house too, engineer relocated router from middle of house directly to incoming & we quadrupled our speed.

Out of curiosity do people here buy premade ethenet cables or make their own out of curiosity? I made all of mine at new house, so i got small loss due to nabbing cable from strip out jobs at work.

Mine comes in through the wall, about 4 foot of cable to the main socket, 2 foot to router then another 4 foot to the hub.
All BT wired and using the supplied BT Ethernet leads.
So as far as I'm concerned, the problem is outside.
That said, broadband can suffer because of the 17mhz frequency that's used. Lots of things chuck out noise and it can cause loads of problems. I've checked mine but others could benefit by doing it too.

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
My shitty Sky internet.. been having a lot of problem with it since i moved into this flat, disconnects about 6/7 times a day, cant get virgin in my area yet which is crazy cause i live in the city centre.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Making the swap to BT asap.

Just did some research and for relatively the same price, I get unlimited bandwidth (no capping, which is frankly annoying as I upload quite a lot during the day) 30+ more download and like 17+ more upload lol.

Virgin are literally robbing me blind.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
yeah virgin is bad, Sky is more premium, specially if you get the fibre pro, dedicated support/static IP if you want it.

but BT is a little bit cheaper, just enjoy speaking to India when you get an issue lol.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Virgin have always been good to me. You can haggle their prices, they offer 120mb down and uptime is 99%. Only thing they annoy me with is their limiting speeds if you go over their data cap, and their constant blocking of every torrent site.

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
Virgin have always been good to me. You can haggle their prices, they offer 120mb down and uptime is 99%. Only thing they annoy me with is their limiting speeds if you go over their data cap, and their constant blocking of every torrent site.

Sky block similar sites too. I use UkBay to get around it

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Sky block similar sites too. I use UkBay to get around it

Thanks i'd not heard of them. I get around them currently by just using one of their other domains that virgin haven't yet found, though it can get annoying as many of them aren't setup correctly.

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
Thanks i'd not heard of them. I get around them currently by just using one of their other domains that virgin haven't yet found, though it can get annoying as many of them aren't setup correctly.

UkBay has over 100 different domaims that are constantly updated to suit anyome using whatever isp. Have fun

muffinpie

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 19, 2005
yeah virgin is bad, Sky is more premium, specially if you get the fibre pro, dedicated support/static IP if you want it.

but BT is a little bit cheaper, just enjoy speaking to India when you get an issue lol.

I disagree, i used to work for sky techical support in the call centre, you own the equipment yourself so if anything goes wrong after the first year it costs 65 quid to get an engineer out and if ou dont want to pay that the only option is to sign up to a 99 quid a year insurance package (sky protect), your told to push for the 100 quid and give the customer a date 2 days after the closest available appointment in order to push them to buy the insurance package which will then in turn give them the earlier appointment you could of given them anyway, we were also told in the call centre to do things like keep people on hold to boost revenue if there was no backlog of calls, good place to work for but i wouldn't touch them with a barge pole my sister still works then and i can get the staff/family discount and still wouldn't dream of using them

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
we were also told in the call centre to do things like keep people on hold to boost revenue if there was no backlog of calls

That's realllly bad! I've worked in a call centre before and this would be classed as terrible customer service by any one