upgrading pc - Shady

smoochy boys on tour

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
right guys , i want a i7 ( 8 core , quad with 4 virtual cores??) hows the virtual cores work?

12 gb of top end ram , found some at 134 pound ( thanks jack aka forspinki )

and a asus rampage motherboard.

jack said with heatsink about 580 pound.

anyone got any better idea's?

reason for update : basicaly i wanna run 8 runescape bots to pay for my pc :P

my dual core only runs 2-3 lol.

i will be using my corsair 650w power supply ( heard this good enough ) my old gts 250 green g card ( for time being )

and my antec 300 case and my sata hdd.

so what would you guys say i should get , is the turbocharged i7 worth getting for the extra 40 pound?

thanks shady.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
so what m board / ram / cpu would you advise for 500ish??

would like a 8 core :P

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Gigabyte socket AM3 Mobo, whatever ram you want - make sure it's compatible with the Mobo you get & a Phenom II x4.

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
As requested, not sure if you really need all that power, but those choices are not mine to make.

I would build either of these, both cheaper and would do just the trick i would imagine.

AMD Build - The cheaper option, but it doesnt skimp much on performance compared to the Intel option

AMDoption.png

Intel Build - Much better CPU, also the triple channel ram is another plus to this option, slightly more expensive, worth it in my opinion but....

Inteli7.png

Intel i5 (Sandy Bridge) build - Now this build minus the triple channel ram, is in my opinion your best overall, this CPU is possibly the best gaming CPU in budget range out just now, beats the i7 950 above in just about every gaming test you throw at it, its also a newer generation on intel CPU, and to make it a bigger plus.. its cheaper. This is what i would build, there is no point spending money on the socket 1366 anymore its past now, go with the new 1155 socket.

Inteli5.png

I cant stress enough the top 2 are just your options within your budget, the i5 setup i can 100% gaurentee you its the best for money out, its better than the i7 950 and wipes the floor with the AMD x6.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
thanks again warlock :)

i can use my antec 300 case / corsair 650w / sata hdd/ drives etc from this my old build and my gts 250 core edition??

Gigabit

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 21, 2010
Don't go for the Phenom II, the Bulldozer is being released this year and performance wise is supposed to wipe the floor with the I7 and Phenom II. Though it does depend on how quick you want this machine, but you will need the AM3 if you plan to move to the Bulldozer in the autumn.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
thanks giga , iam a noob whats a am3??
and how much is bulldozer , iamnot rich :P

the i7 920 is a quad with 4 virtual cores 2?? how do they work lol

and does the i5 have virtual cores? or just 4 REAL cores lol.

the thing i wont to do rapes cpu power , thats why wanting a hex :P

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
The i5 has virtual cores also ye, i would deffo go with the i5 over i7 920, its a newer platform and a faster gen CPU.

The bulldozer you could put in the AMD build above, but then again waiting 6months for an 8core CPU just to compete with a quad core? Doesnt seem worth it to me, AMD just cant push the performance out their chips like intel can atm, the fastest intel chip atm is nearly 50% faster than the current fastest AMD HEX core option, more expensive yes but you can still get intel CPU's that beat AMD within the same price range.

It will run fine with everything you have ye Shady, only thing is if you want to make it a gaming PC or a little better add a 6870 into the mix or a GTX460 and it will be a nice little gaming system too.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
more expensive yes but you can still get intel CPU's that beat AMD within the same price range.

Lolno. If you're a gamer, you should go AMD - no question about it.

Suppose that's my opinion, but it works out better in most ways.

Last edited:

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
Lolno. If you're a gamer, you should go AMD - no question about it.

Suppose that's my opinion, but it works out better in most ways.

explain?

most gamers i know got like 1.2k-1.5k builds atm and all running the i7 920?

edit : ya thanks warlock , i just cant afford all of it at once thats why wanted to keep old g card etc :P

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Because AMD run better for gaming & cost less, meaning you can spend more on things such as GPUs, peripherals & last but not least... games! ;)

& Shady, seriously - you won't get far comparing rigs by price tags.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
i aint fused about a better g card for time being.

the cpu isnt for gaming..

and for comparing rigs i was stating , most of them had there setup over 12months.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Your point is moot. He wants a PC to play Runescape, he goes AMD, he saves money & it runs better. He goes Intel, he pays more and it doesn't run as good for what he wants to do, which is play Runescape... not to mention we're not even talking about GPUs. No point disputing me on something when you have no idea what you're talking about dude.

I'd also advise good RAM, quicker & more of it the better, obviously. As you're going to need it for your multi-boxing.

Last edited: