Urgent help needed please

Join Discord

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
Just bought a new motherboard and hdd sata 160gb, when i bootup it hangs on post screen for ages after detecting memory then tried to boot from cd instead of hdd ive gone through the bios but when i try to auto detect the hdd it doesnt come up with anything, and when i try to install xp it says no hdd are present, all cables are in the right places...picks up my other ide like dvd/cd roms but it doesnt read the sata at all, some help please.

mapadale

Just bought a new motherboard and hdd sata 160gb, when i bootup it hangs on post screen for ages after detecting memory then tried to boot from cd instead of hdd ive gone through the bios but when i try to auto detect the hdd it doesnt come up with anything, and when i try to install xp it says no hdd are present, all cables are in the right places...picks up my other ide like dvd/cd roms but it doesnt read the sata at all, some help please.
Make sure that its configured to laod from sata in bios and also does the drive fire up when the machine is switched on and how long for.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
Make sure that its configured to laod from sata in bios and also does the drive fire up when the machine is switched on and how long for.

HDD is brand new from shop today, it powers up but makes a low and high tone melody noise, im assuming thats the bios trying to detect it, the sata in the bios is all set to enabled, and the state set to IDE, i then changed it to RAID and it still didnt work, all the sata ports are set to read in the bios, it will not detetc the hardrive in the bios when i tell it to auto detect....

mapadale

HDD is brand new from shop today, it powers up but makes a low and high tone melody noise, im assuming thats the bios trying to detect it, the sata in the bios is all set to enabled, and the state set to IDE, i then changed it to RAID and it still didnt work, all the sata ports are set to read in the bios, it will not detetc the hardrive in the bios when i tell it to auto detect....
Its fooked then, or the sata cable is.

have you aloud it to run past post - What happens if you do.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
Its fooked then, or the sata cable is.

have you aloud it to run past post - What happens if you do.

it goes to boot from dvd, tried to install windows and says cant find hdd.

Do I need to setup raid arrays?

Last edited:

mapadale

it goes to boot from dvd, tried to install windows and says cant find hdd.

Do I need to setup raid arrays?
forget all of that, cause I can give you the answer to that one very easily.

What I want to know, is the hard drive being read in the bios and on post.
If it is then there is nothing wrong with your drive at all, which by the way. When there is no OS on the drive, it will boot from one of the defaults first. IE: DvD/CD-rom drive.

If the hard drive is being reconised in both post and bios, but not on the initial install of the OS. Then your problem is that you have no SATA drives for your OS and it won't detect your hard drive.

If thats the case, then you will need to download a set of SATA drives for your hard drive and when you load the OS disk it ask's you if you want to load the SATA drives. But watch for this cause if you miss the promt to load the drives, then you have to start all over again. Oh and by the way, the only way to load the SATA drives is VIA FLOOPY. I've tried previously to get them to load from a flash drive, but with no luck.

Your second option, is to "create your own OS disk" that has the drives pre loaded onto them.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
forget all of that, cause I can give you the answer to that one very easily.

What I want to know, is the hard drive being read in the bios and on post.
If it is then there is nothing wrong with your drive at all, which by the way. When there is no OS on the drive, it will boot from one of the defaults first. IE: DvD/CD-rom drive.

If the hard drive is being reconised in both post and bios, but not on the initial install of the OS. Then your problem is that you have no SATA drives for your OS and it won't detect your hard drive.

If thats the case, then you will need to download a set of SATA drives for your hard drive and when you load the OS disk it ask's you if you want to load the SATA drives. But watch for this cause if you miss the promt to load the drives, then you have to start all over again. Oh and by the way, the only way to load the SATA drives is VIA FLOOPY. I've tried previously to get them to load from a flash drive, but with no luck.

Your second option, is to "create your own OS disk" that has the drives pre loaded onto them.

post and bios doesnt pick it up, but it works i can hear it going when i boot up.....

oh and i dont have a floppy drive

mapadale

post and bios doesnt pick it up, but it works i can hear it going when i boot up.....

oh and i dont have a floppy drive
If both Bios and post don't pick it up, then you have a fooked hard drive or sata cable.

What I would sugest first is replace the sata cable, as this is the cheaper option. If it still doesn't work then take ur hard drive back and get them to test it(you are entitled to this).

And just because a hard drive fire's up, doesn't mean that its actually working.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
If both Bios and post don't pick it up, then you have a fooked hard drive or sata cable.

What I would sugest first is replace the sata cable, as this is the cheaper option. If it still doesn't work then take ur hard drive back and get them to test it(you are entitled to this).

And just because a hard drive fire's up, doesn't mean that its actually working.

this is the second one ive got from them, I bought a mobo and a hdd 160gb from them the mobo works great, but the first hdd clicked so I took it back and git another new one (they exchanged it) and this one makes a tone and another wierd noise its another fooked hdd from them im assuming....how can two brand new hdd be faulty though?

is it something im doing wrong? do sata ports need drivers if so am I looking at no pc until i get a floppy and install some? and how do I get into dos without a os installed? I dont understand raid arrays at all so if the sata needs raid arrays to work then im screwed....

Does rpm have anything to do with it like do certain mobos not support a certain speed? this one is 7200 rpm

Last edited:

mapadale

this is the second one ive got from them, I bought a mobo and a hdd 160gb from them the mobo works great, but the first hdd clicked so I took it back and git another new one (they exchanged it) and this one makes a tone and another wierd noise its another fooked hdd from them im assuming....how can two brand new hdd be faulty though?

is it something im doing wrong? do sata ports need drivers if so am I looking at no pc until i get a floppy and install some? and how do I get into dos without a os installed? I dont understand raid arrays at all so if the sata needs raid arrays to work then im screwed....

Does rpm have anything to do with it like do certain mobos not support a certain speed? this one is 7200 rpm

Brand new hard drives can be DOA on purchase, where evere you buy them. When I fist built up my server, I went through 17 hard drives within the first 6month. From ether not working, or failing after a few days.

All SATA devices needs driver's, especially SATA hard drives. XP does have basic SATA drivers installed on the instalation. But as I've found out, they don't cover 90% of SATA drives. This is why you need to load SATA drives first as your loading the install of the OS.

Raid you don't need to worry about and as for the RPM not meeting system boards. This is crap unfortunatly, all system boards with take almost any RPM hard drive. Including P2's and 3's.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
so this hdd could be fine and i need a fdd to install sata drivers?

and how do i load them off the fdd without a os installed?

mapadale

so this hdd could be fine and i need a fdd to install sata drivers?

and how do i load them off the fdd without a os installed?
No the hard drive is fooked, you answered that one yourself by saying its not being detected by ether the bios or post.

The drivers are so you can load your OS onto it.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
he didnt have any 160gb left so i got a 80 and im installing xp on it now.

thanks for your help mapadale its much appreciated :)

lewis

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 15, 2004
Southampton
your bios may need flashing, which i think was mentioned somewhere around here.

edit:
Silly me i didn't read the whole thread, i see you gave up on it :(

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008

edit:

nope, its fixed I didnt give up on it.

mapadale

edit:
Why would flashing the bios have anything to do with the drive not being detected.

It was a contoller issue, which is why the hard drive has been replaced.

@silent Glad I could help.