User Count

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Is there anyway to get a user count on a mir3 server? Is the only way to read the usercount in the database? If so, I' not sure that it works as I've never seen this value above 0 (correct me if I'm wrong).
The reason:
I'm looking to make a mir3 port of the excellent work by leocrasher. He has given alot to the community and inspired me to do so lol.

NickAKAVexus

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2005
New york
leos a girl, + she will have your head if you try and make a copy of any of her programs. TRUST ME. Unless she gives you the ok of course, which I doubt very much.

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Sorry leo, I did mean to type she :). I have talked with her about it and she wishes me the best :). I'm not copying her work :) I'm still using her excellent php scripts on her site, I'm just writing a client to be run on servers to send the custom server string on port 3000 when a client connects to it. The current port 3000 on mir3 sends a string which registers a mir3 server as a 1.4 mir2 server so basically I'm working to fix it :)

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
one of leo's products (signature) does show mir3 user count.

because login server is similar on mir2 mir3 (port 3000 thingy)

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Yeah, I've since found that out that Mir3 also has a checkserver on port 3000 but after some discussion with leocrasher, I have found it returns the wrong string for her scripts to interpret properly. With the newly added support for custom servers it is now possible to specify if it is a mir3 server and so I am currently writing a small program to sit on port 3000 on a server and send the correct string.
I hope people will find this useful

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Since most Mir3 servers either don't open 3k, or do similar things to stop usercountsiggy working on their servers, I've never seen a real reason to add Mir3 detection into UCS.

However the ServerList will read them as Mir3 just fine. If you really want it, I will add the functionality into UCS - and you can concentrate on getting Mir3 to work with 'Who is online' or whatever else :)

/Leo

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
That's very kind :). It is up to you if you would like to do that but I can use the custom server API to register a mir3 server as it would allow users to specify if it is a PtW or JOB server. I will write one program that sends a user count and a list of online users and things. I do have one question, does your script connect to port 3000 and w8 for the first string to arrive and then disconnect?
Also, how often would you like the player statistics to send to stop bandwidth hogging? 1 hour like on your site?

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Well I'll add the Mir3 detection, and you can continue to use the custom string for furthur details :).

Yes, all SC programs will disconnect after the first string is sent OR 30 seconds elapses, whatever happens first.

I'm not really all too worried about how often player info is sent, but I'd imagine 30mins would be the smallest tolerable interval. I've never witnessed a server change from the 60min default. If bandwidth is a worry - just filter the players by something like not sending any chars under lvl 7.

/Leo

Last edited: