User counts

smoochy boys on tour

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
How many people still actively play Mir3? IM just trying to do a bit of research to see if its worth opening a Mir3 server on my website. Kind of stuff i need to know is:

What difference is there between the Mir2 and Mir3 community in terms of Stat/Exp/Server preferences.

How many people play on the average Mir3 server, and what kind of commuities do they form.

Finally how often does a mir3 server last, and what are the common reasons that cause them to close down?

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Ill try and Answer some of your questions form my own little view:

What difference is there between the Mir2 and Mir3 community in terms of Stat/Exp/Server preferences.

Most servers online are either running JOB or 3G, exp is 4x on a lot though there is now 60+ Exp server.

How many people play on the average Mir3 server, and what kind of commuities do they form.
Average number I guess would be in the 30-50 type number, though of course there is higher numbers at the start of a Servers life. Community depends on the type of server - if its a Steady long running server, its a friendly community where as Uber high Exp server is all about PvP I think.

Finally how often does a mir3 server last, and what are the common reasons that cause them to close down?
They last a LOT longer then most Mir2 Servers thats for sure, Illusion/Olypia have been up 3/4 years now, same for MirWorlds and Xtreme about 1 year+

As I have chucked out a s et of files, expect as per Mir2 a lot to come online, uber exp and last for a couple of month.

Why do servers die??
If you run the server from a Home connection - then yes it will eventually die as the host (im ibcluded in this) gets sick of not been able to use there connection as they wish. All the ones I mentioned above are run from Dedciated Boxes and it shows. My final point to all of this, if a person grabbed a set of files Pre-done - they will not understand how to sort them, tweak them etc - and thus why they also fail...

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
hmm, im nto sure about a running from a dedicated box which may be a problem, if im honest, i wouldnt be all too thrilled with shelling out £40+ for a dedicated box so others can play a game for free.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Atomicide said:
hmm, im nto sure about a running from a dedicated box which may be a problem, if im honest, i wouldnt be all too thrilled with shelling out £40+ for a dedicated box so others can play a game for free.

While I fully agree with you, a home connection has a few inherent problems:
  • Dynamic IP
  • Limited Upload Bandwidth
  • You might want to use it yourself
To give you some sort of yardstick as it were, I ran a live server from a 2mbit/200 NTL Connection off a Athlon 2500 barton, 1 IGig Ram with Seperate Machine for MS-SQL and yet another machine for the client. I had 75 People online and it never lagged. Given that the files (3.38) has a user limit of 110 anyhow - a dedciated box for £50 a month is a bit OTT.

The way the Chinese do things is simple enough though many European people tend to not agree with this is as follows:

The game has a thing called Integral or better word - gamepoints. They tie in there IIS with the Database and a front end which means people can buy Gamepoints for real money. This then gives the people a choice of playing for free or if they prefer, to buy Gamepoints to get better weapons (7 day rent), better pets and so forth and speed up there levelling. This in turn provides the money the host needs to provide better hardware (Quad Xeon with 8 GIG ram), Faster connections (100Mbit) and to buy the latest server files - thus benfiting everyone.

The other slight difference though is China Server can have a population of 2000+ Users online at any one time where as we struggle for 50. The game is very popular over there compared to here. All I am saying is that running off a home connection as well as you using the same connection to download/upload files will have a bad effect on the server and sooner rather then later you will get sick of providing this "free" server at your expense and close it down, as many have in the past - Including me.

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
is mir 3 a lot harder to run than mir 2? sorta meaning, do u need better specs and so on? only just started on mir 3 like a week ago, so soz if its a nooby question :err: