virus halp

Join Discord

2fast2furious

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2004
basicly, downloaded limewire pro from mininova.org and im not usualy as careless but just clicked first 1 opend and boom! lol installed limewire along with loadsa crap and my pc is slow as owt virus pop ups all over and task manager disabled, my computer / run etc disabled lol =/ HALP! xx

Oberon

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 12, 2004
In Orbit around Uranus
Step one. Download Avast AV or AVG. Both are free, I recommend AVG. http://free.avg.com install and scan your computer.

For spyware I recommend SpyBot (also free) available at http://www.spybot.info

Step two. NEVER EVER use Limewire, Kazaa etc. These P2P (peer to peer) programs are extremely dangerous. Apart from the obvious SpyWare and MalWare installed with the programs, it opens up your computer for everyone to see. Kazaa and Limewire use a "Shared Directory" folder, which means anyone can access that folder to take or even to put things in (mostly viruses).

If you are wishing to download movies, music etc. I highly recommend using torrents, or even better buying them. If you really HAVE to download, use torrents.

Torrent programs of note are BitLord and BitComet. I prefer BitLord for it's simplicity, since (IMHO) BitComet is for more advanced.

Third step. Avoid WAREZ sites like the plague, they are literally loaded with Drive-By Downloads (when a file is automatically downloaded onto your pc), SpyWare and MalWare, and of course, the obligatory virus/trojan.

If you need any help with SpyBot or AVG use, just ask. I'm sure there's lots of us that use these two GREAT programs.

Oh. Do you have a firewall installed? This will also help.

Good Luck. Hope you're virus free soon.

mapadale

I've got one thing tosay to you and the people who use limewire.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

You deserve to get infected using software like that, as its always neen riddled with virs/spyware/trogans and other crap.

I would sugest doing what the guy above said, but unfortunalty AVG isn't that good at all.

There are only 2 programs that you need to use.

AdwareSE - free from micrososft
SpyBotSD - Also free

You need to run AdwareSE first as this removes the body of the threat, then you need to then run SBSD - this will remove the head of the threat, the only other issue that you may have is that the threat has attahced itself to the reg and then you are screwed.

I would sugest uninstalling limewire and closing your net off while you do this, as its a waste of tme having your net connected as you will never get rid of it.

As with most threats, if you are doing the search and destroy whilst still connected to the net. The threat is actually updating itself, by each point that you remove.

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
Chester :P
start > run > msconfig > load basic devices only.

restart

start > control pannel > add/remove programs > lime wire

restart

start > run > regedit *search for limewire (each time it finds 1 delete it)*

restart

star > run > internet options delete all cookies all offline content and addons from (IE) even if u dnt use it dnt think its a waste of time do it anyway.

start > run > regedit > search for CPush delete all content from them.

restart an see if comp loads as usual if not try a system restore

Last edited:

2fast2furious

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2004
from the pic :P the virus disabled allot of things including run etc lol, i just formated n instald clean copy of windows, it wasnt actualy using limewire, i downloaded limewire off a torrent and it was in the torrent download lol, ive installed avg thanks for help :)

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
lol. that virus is an absolute ***** to remove. all my housemates (apart from me) got it when their virus protector trial ran out.

if its the same one it removes al my computer, run commands, any access to anything needed to remove it basically.

if you can remove it with avg then it aint the same thing they had, this one stopped them from installing avg.

only way i managed to get rid of it was to completely format.