Wanting to buy a new PC but dont know where to look for good deals :(

Join Discord

MasterQ

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Aug 6, 2006
London
This pc has been lasting me years + got it free and is now playing up big time.

Ive been looking on the Dell site and would like a PC simular to this/ possible Quad Core.
http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...l=en&oc=D115012&rbc=D115012&s=dhs&~ck=expbuy3
4GB ram
Dont really care about disk size just aslong as its 160+
My price range is around 600 but i want a PC that will still be good enough to run stuff in a 5+ years.

I can buy the bits seperatly and fit it toghether but it would be better if it was already made.

Anyone got any idears?
Thanks.

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
This pc has been lasting me years + got it free and is now playing up big time.

Ive been looking on the Dell site and would like a PC simular to this/ possible Quad Core.
http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...l=en&oc=D115012&rbc=D115012&s=dhs&~ck=expbuy3
4GB ram
Dont really care about disk size just aslong as its 160+
My price range is around 600 but i want a PC that will still be good enough to run stuff in a 5+ years.

I can buy the bits seperatly and fit it toghether but it would be better if it was already made.

Anyone got any idears?
Thanks.

I wouldnt recommend a branded pre-built machine to anyone. Buy the bits yourself, then you know exactly what you are getting.

To be honest, if you go by hardware past, a 5 year old PC today struggles with most new games, advances in stuff like pixel shaders, multithreading etc. So will any current PC play stuff well in 5+ years, its highly doubtfull but I could be wrong.

Ive put a quick spec together, its not extreme but should play everything you can throw at it without a problem. I havent included a case for it all to go in as thats a personal choice.

www.scan.co.uk

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 6400+ Black Edition Dual Core 3.2GHz, 2x 1MB Cache, Retail w/o Heat Sink Fan
MSI K9N SLI Platinum NF570 SLI, S AM2, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX
2x 2GB packs (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, DHX
500 GB Seagate ST3500320AS Barracuda 7200.11, SATA II, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.5 ms, NCQ
Pioneer DVR-212 18x DVD±R, 10x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, DVD-RAM x12, SATA, Ivory, OEM
512MB HIS HD 2600XT IceQ Turbo (HD 1080p) Dual DL-DVI & TV (HDCP) Crossfire (128bit) GDDR3 PCIe (PAL
600W Zalman ZM600-HP Heatpipe Cooled Modular PSU +80% Eff

Net Total £497.86

Carriage £9.93

V.A.T. £88.86

TOTAL £596.65

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
Why post a link to a website thats already been posted, especially as its the only link provided.

Also, I see qoutes of 'the cheapest around' etc. well if thats so, then match my spec on these sites and post the total cost including carrige. After all he did ask for the best deals. Posting a URL means he has to do all the work, when ive allready done that for him.

Paul

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
I buy Novatech, not because they are the best around necessarily but because they give great customer service and I've not had a problem with any I've bought from them for myself or all those I've recommended Novatech to :)

fleacaptain

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 25, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I usually prefer Compaq ( thats under HP now) not because I can't build a pc, but I agree its a lot easier getting another company or person to do it and get it all ready for you. And, If I build something it won't have a brand name, and I want it to have a brand name so if I tell people I have a .... they'll know what I mean :P However, I'd suggest buying with minimal components, and then you can go and change whatever parts you like. Have most of it ready, so atleast you can still continue working while your looking to improve something inside. And HP customer service is excellent, but they charge quite high sometimes ( you're in the uk so will be cheaper exchange rate wise) :)

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
To be honest, brand names mean nothing these days. I would rather have to sit and explain why my pre-built system doesnt have a name than buy a complete sack of ****e.

Most brands such as compaq, hp, dell etc. etc. use low quality parts or generic parts. Like GFX cards for example. Most use reference boards only, which are always cheaper.

You can say 'oh well, I get a warranty with these machines'. Many people even take out extended 3 or 5 year warranties, which they PAY ADDITIONAL for, when most components offer this anyway.

All parts are covered by 1 years retail regardless of what they tell you. Statutory consumer rights on electrical goods stipulate that the retailer must honour the first 12 months from date of purchase, any repair or replacement.

After that;

Monitors - 3 years from the manufacturer
CPU - Retail Boxed 3 years / OEM 1 year
Hard Drives - Most manufacturers offer 2-3 years, western digital offer 5 years on most drives especially the raptor drives.
Memory - many offer 3 years, some 5 years! Geil, G-Skill & Crucial offer lifetime warranties on some of their memory.
Most other hardware are covered by anything between 1-2 years depending on item or manufacturer.

So they flog you something you already own. Sounds great to me. And then charge you premium rate to ring the technical support line. Wow!!

People flock like sheep to shops buying PCs from shop floor salesmen who dont have a clue what they are talking about.
They will literaly sell you anything to rake in their monthly commision. Comet are another shop, the wifes freind just bought a PC from there and it doesnt even have a Expansion graphics slot on the board. Shes stuck with Motherboard graphics for the during of her owning it. Its bollox man.

Seriously, unless you buy a PC that comes with an on-site warranty and is all singing all dancing, then dont under any circumstances buy a branded PC because you will regret it as soon as you get it home. With of course, the exception of Alienware, who bespoke build their machines with only the highest quality kit. Although you pay a huge premium for such rigs, so your better off building yourself anyway.

Paul

folz

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2007
www.novatech.co.uk are probably the cheapest about on the internet.

Wow that is a mental site cheers for that. look how cheap this is...

£245.57 Inc Vat
AMD Athlon X2 4200 Dual Core 64 Bit
2GB DDR2 667MHz Single Channel
250GB SATA II
VIA Chrome 9 Integrated Graphics & 16x PCI-E Slot
Built within 3-4 working days

Thats pretty good.

ps. Do they build the computer for you ?!?!?!

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
Wow that is a mental site cheers for that. look how cheap this is...

£245.57 Inc Vat
AMD Athlon X2 4200 Dual Core 64 Bit
2GB DDR2 667MHz Single Channel
250GB SATA II
VIA Chrome 9 Integrated Graphics & 16x PCI-E Slot
Built within 3-4 working days

Thats pretty good.

ps. Do they build the computer for you ?!?!?!

erm yup :D