What do you think of the XL bully ban?

Join Discord

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
They've banned XL bullies in England and Wales now.

I saw what looked like one just now in Town on my break. Man the owner wasn't nice and complained his dog was nearly scared!

They're moving them up Scotland.

One thing to know is that they are bred from pitbulls. It should have been ownership dealt with, not banning breeds.

What if they start moving onto another breed?

Because pitbulls got banned, people began using staffies as a status dog.

Our Government are morons. They're so non chalant and only care about themselves.

Last edited:

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Unfortunately, certain breeds get a bad reputation from poor owners and are also bred to be very aggressive or overly protective.

I'm sure there are plenty of this breed around that are harmless, but from personal experience with them, and a few people I know it hasn't been good at all.

My mums dog was almost shred to bits by one of these, and when it comes up in conversation there always seems to be someone who has another negative story about this breed.

Reactions: Tai

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
Unfortunately, certain breeds get a bad reputation from poor owners and are also bred to be very aggressive or overly protective.

I'm sure there are plenty of this breed around that are harmless, but from personal experience with them, and a few people I know it hasn't been good at all.

My mums dog was almost shred to bits by one of these, and when it comes up in conversation there always seems to be someone who has another negative story about this breed.
Well said. I've met good staffies on a few occasions.

Sorry to hear about that incident. Hope it recovered from that.

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Well said. I've met good staffies on a few occasions.

Sorry to hear about that incident. Hope it recovered from that.

Staffys were a prime example of a breed getting a bad name too.

Although every staffy I've ever encountered has been soft as anything and always well behaved.

• Love
Reactions: Omnibus

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Although i agree a strong majority of bad dogs stem from the owners but breeds that stem from Pit bulls your just asking for trouble they was bred literally as killing machines its in their DNA sometimes even the best owner cant stop that. You'll always get some idiot with the argument " my pitbull is fine its around my young kids and has never harmed them " when theres 1000's of story per year in america of pitbulls mauling sometimes even their owners.

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
So I think some dog breeds have higher tendencies to be aggressive than others, but that doesn't mean all dogs that aren't known for aggression are gentle that some may have genetic defects causing brain issues but that being said a dog is only as good as its owner and the training it receives.

In my personal opinion I wouldn't have banned a breed of dogs from being owned it would have been wiser to crack down on the owners of dogs as a whole. I see a lot of people out walking large breeds of dogs barely able to control them walking or being dragged along which means they aren't trained well.

The way I'd tackle it is for large breeds of dogs or agressive inclined breeds that a mandatory training assessment course should be created and owners should have to pay to put the dog through it so assessors can look for warning signs so the owners can sort it out.

Reactions: Omnibus

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
So I think some dog breeds have higher tendencies to be aggressive than others, but that doesn't mean all dogs that aren't known for aggression are gentle that some may have genetic defects causing brain issues but that being said a dog is only as good as its owner and the training it receives.

In my personal opinion I wouldn't have banned a breed of dogs from being owned it would have been wiser to crack down on the owners of dogs as a whole. I see a lot of people out walking large breeds of dogs barely able to control them walking or being dragged along which means they aren't trained well.

The way I'd tackle it is for large breeds of dogs or agressive inclined breeds that a mandatory training assessment course should be created and owners should have to pay to put the dog through it so assessors can look for warning signs so the owners can sort it out.

Walking a Great dane isn't the same as walking a XL bully though is it, most big dogs are the softest that will rarely attack. Like it or not, they come from a breed of dog thats bred to fight and kill its just a fact.

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
Walking a Great dane isn't the same as walking a XL bully though is it, most big dogs are the softest that will rarely attack. Like it or not, they come from a breed of dog thats bred to fight and kill its just a fact.

A lot of dogs were bred to kill prime example would be Irish wolfhounds that were bred to take down men off horses and tear both to shreads, or German Sheperds, and Labradors used by the police, Husky's are closely related to wolves which was one of mankinds greatest threats before modern weapons. I'm not saying Pit Bulls don't cause deaths the rates listed below speak for themselves but I bet a good chunk of all the deaths listed come down to a lack of proper training and precausion of the owners of these animals and could have been avoided with proper precautions
  • Pit Bulls: 284 deaths
  • Rottweiler: 45 deaths
  • German Shepherd: 20 deaths
  • Mixed breeds: 17 deaths
  • American Bulldog: 15 deaths
  • Mastiff: 14 deaths
  • Siberian Husky: 13 deaths
  • Labrador Retriever: 9 deaths
  • Boxer: 7 deaths
  • Doberman Pinscher: 6 deaths

Just going off America (couldn't find the uk stats) they estimate over 4.5m bites from dogs per a year if those 4.5m per year were all from the breeds listed above there would be a hell of a lot more people dead but because they are smaller dogs that lack the force to kill doesn't mean they lack the force to maim and disfigure someones child or a weak kid/adult.

One last point I'd make is the fact people have exotic animals able to kill a person easily if not handled properly it almost all comes down to negligence and lack of training so why should a whole breed suffer for the actions of bad owners. even if the dog had a mental issue that caused it that too is on the owner they should have noticed a change in them.

Also I'd personally never have any dog that has shown a single ounce of aggression towards anyone near other people. I've owned 2 labrador's and both have been well trained, Soft hearted, and loved the local kids always stop outside the house and look in the garden to stroke my dog but if he had shown any agression he wouldn't be in the front garden where other can touch him he would have been in the back which is completely boxed off.

Last edited:

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
A lot of dogs were bred to kill prime example would be Irish wolfhounds that were bred to take down men off horses and tear both to shreads, or German Sheperds, and Labradors used by the police, Husky's are closely related to wolves which was one of mankinds greatest threats before modern weapons. I'm not saying Pit Bulls don't cause deaths the rates listed below speak for themselves but I bet a good chunk of all the deaths listed come down to a lack of proper training and precausion of the owners of these animals and could have been avoided with proper precautions
  • Pit Bulls: 284 deaths
  • Rottweiler: 45 deaths
  • German Shepherd: 20 deaths
  • Mixed breeds: 17 deaths
  • American Bulldog: 15 deaths
  • Mastiff: 14 deaths
  • Siberian Husky: 13 deaths
  • Labrador Retriever: 9 deaths
  • Boxer: 7 deaths
  • Doberman Pinscher: 6 deaths

Just going off America (couldn't find the uk stats) they estimate over 4.5m bites from dogs per a year if those 4.5m per year were all from the breeds listed above there would be a hell of a lot more people dead but because they are smaller dogs that lack the force to kill doesn't mean they lack the force to maim and disfigure someones child or a weak kid/adult.

One last point I'd make is the fact people have exotic animals able to kill a person easily if not handled properly it almost all comes down to negligence and lack of training so why should a whole breed suffer for the actions of bad owners. even if the dog had a mental issue that caused it that too is on the owner they should have noticed a change in them.

Also I'd personally never have any dog that has shown a single ounce of aggression towards anyone near other people. I've owned 2 labrador's and both have been well trained, Soft hearted, and loved the local kids always stop outside the house and look in the garden to stroke my dog but if he had shown any agression he wouldn't be in the front garden where other can touch him he would have been in the back which is completely boxed off.

You just further prove my point, all those dogs were bred to kill. Yet pitbulls are tenfold the worse for it and its not even remotely close, they're vicious dogs it's just facts numbers don't lie.

Also just to add to it, the dogs your listing are dogs used by police, people trying to protect their homes etc they were bred to kill yet be disciplined and for they're. Sometimes when a pitbull goes it doesn't matter how good of a trainer you are it will never stop, you can watch 10,000's of videos of Twitter of example of this.

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Whilst I agree that lack of proper training and handling from owners are a contributing factor, (that and these types of dogs being used by the minority that have no good intentions behind owning this breed) - drug dealers, gangsters, criminals etc.

The main factor behind the aggressiveness behind these types of dogs is not fully a result of the owners, but more the fact it is part of their DNA. These dogs have natural kill or be killed personalities due to their DNA that has been passed down for many generations. Combine that with their sheer strength, of course they are naturally one of the (in my opinion) scariest and unpredictable dogs to keep.

I'm not saying that I think there shouldn't of been a ban, but it may have been wise to explore all options rather than a complete ban.