Why are all....

mmmm

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 24, 2004
Why are all the mir3g servers comming out/out are exacly the same as eachother?. Same boss drops,same caves,same npc's,same items ect ect,is there no origanality anymore.....need more fresh ideas.

Adamsy

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
Peterlee, CountyDurham (UK)
cos people ae lazy m8 all they change is the exp rate cos most of only know how to do this lol. They don't try to add new features etc cos they don't have teh know how.

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Xtreme and Illusion.

I played on both and both have alot of none-standard add-ons.

People want to settle into a new server like a comfy chair, they know whats happening, they can join and play without having to know someone else of a higher level who will guide them around (or constantly shout, "where is the best place for a Level ## Warrior"). They will have plenty of time to learn of your new additions as they go through the levels.

I personally believe there is no use moving caves around, renaming mobs, etc as people will take forever to get to know a new server. I think if mobs and caves are left more or less as standard for the first 1-2 months worth of play (depends on exp rate what level you would be), then from then onwards look towards adding new caves, new mobs etc - people will have had chance to settle into your server.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
A Better answer would be - There is some people who have taken the files from the original set (chinese) along with trawling the Chinese web sites and thus they started to learn all the various functions that the server files will allow. These are normally the Established Servers and as they progressed, added in new mobs and maps as they tend to know where to get them and how to add them in without posting asking for help.

I worked on the files for a long time and finally Shared them so other people could set up servers but the upshot of this is that as people have not worked on the files, they just change the exp, the Server name and leave it as that. Much the same reason why a lot of Mir2 Servers look and play the same, people cannot be bothered to learn.

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Yep, the server files are quite flexible really. I'm currently writing a new skill system for mir3g for olymp that uses the SQL access.
Anything is possible, you just have to think how.
LOVE the siggy demonic

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
if u ask me, u dont need to know much to make good server, but u got to have experiance with community.
i think that if u change the exp and drop file number of monsters ect,those functions arent very hard to change, and also give deffrent rules, deffrent events, ect will provide a deffrent server.
the main problem is, that ppls that start server for the first time, will make very bad combination of drop files, exp and all that, i made servers of other games and when i see gms that r changing stuff without even understand what they did wrong it makes me angry.
when i worked on lmyth server, the hoster got the files from me, then he took over the server, got angry from every little thing i told him that he did wrong, in the end he banned me from the server since i told him its stupit that ice monsters drop 1/4 items while he forget that they drop better then bosses. (that and another few stuff but that the main reason), and since i was the only one there with exp on making server, and there was 2 corupped gms that i followed (he added them after he told me they r ok, even though i told him not to add, he sayed its his server and he decide, should sayed **** u back then but nvm), and after i left they started to be corupped making items ect, server didnt last long after i left...
the thing is, if u got good computer with good internet, doesnt mean u can make server, u need not just to follow demonic guide, server will never last long if u just create it and change exp... as ppls sayed here, server all look the same cos ppls r too lazy to learn.
there is another reason that make the servers be short term. this days rndpro made ppls lazy, they r coming to server, getting angry cos they dont get good items at the start and leave, i saw u once demonic ask y every server is high exp, i will tell u y, cos if it will be low exp, no one will come, ppls r too lazy to lvl, not only that, ppls today dont know how to hunt correctly, they r used the the massive amount of para/pro/chb/dt/high lvl items ect in rnd1 and with those items u dont really have to learn how to kill bosses, u can be noob and to kill ee easily...
when those ppls come to reguler servers, they cant kill bosses, its too hard for them... then they blame the kit, after i left lmyth i entered rnd2, i solod zt at lvl 46 as wiz with not that good eq on, it wasnt hard at all, but on lmyth everyone was angry cos its soooo hard to kill zt at lvl 50 without pro and buddha set right?...
the worst thing that new gms r doing, is to like 1 class more then the others, making 1 class better then the others... of course gms that like war think that war dont do enough dmg, so they make war items easier to find and para easier to find, so they make more dmg then wiz, of course they forgot that wiz dont have much hp, and wiz with pro is "pwnage" so y to make pro ring common as para? also the other way arround, if wiz r getting pro and stuff easily, lvling faster, y to choose warrior?, tao's usually r really bad compare to other classes, what the point of poisening if wiz at reguler lvl got 150 mc with pro?...
so, if u want to make new server, pls TEST it before u let ppls in, make new chars of each class, check how fast they r lvling, kill monsters and check if the drop files r good, check if the classes r the same, unlike what ppls sayed here that u must learn fuctions, i dont think u need to learn a lot to make good server, but u got to learn the basics be4 u start, u cant just download files and open server after a day, making server is something that take time and petient, not only computer...

Last edited:

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
There is a few things which need to be right or the server will fail:

• Lag Free gaming - If needed limit the number of people that can play to match your connection, nobody likes a Server which lags to death.
  • Dedicated Website - A aplce with a Forum, place to get all the files and any questions that need answering.
  • Well thought out additions - Why do people keep adding stuff every 5 mins, you dont see the real P2P Servers doing this.
  • Dedciated Computer for the Server - A PC which can be on 24/7, with enough power & Ram to handle the Server files.
  • Staying up for months not Days - rushing a Server online is not going to aid in getting players.
  • No GM Intervention - Limited number of GM's and no jumping in game Spawning mobs, handing out kit or Telelporting people is the most common thing I keep seeing.
People get the files, rush a Server online and then spent the rest of the time FireFighting the bugs which should have been encountered in the testing Stage. People will not die of bordom just cos you have not got your Server online.

Bascially - People who come to LOMCN have probably played Mir2 & Mir3 to death, they keep looking for yet another server to play on, get bored - this gives rise to the Uber High Exp Servers. The Major problem with High Exp Servers is people are going to run out of Steam quicker then you as a Host can keep adding stuff, this stuff will be rushed in the game with no testing and problems happen. This normally means a rewind (do people even know what a backup is?) or the host getting Sick.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
demonic, it would be nice if u add 2 chapters to ur guide, one on what u need to open server, and one on how to make good community.

D-GoN

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 6, 2005
i think after following demonics guide people have to go there own ways
adding another guide is sensless in my opinion :/

mmmm

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 24, 2004
Hey its got that bad ive actually gone back to playing mir2,3 euro -.-

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
i think after following demonics guide people have to go there own ways
adding another guide is sensless in my opinion :/
u didnt understand what i mean, allmost every mmorpg game got strict lines on how to make community, e.g. monster that can be found in big amount, will drop less then monster in the same power but rare.
also what demonic sayed, what u need to make a long term server, it can be important to someone that want to make server, but dont know what he need.

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
it takes no guide, it's common sense really. Additions should be large ones, if you are going to add a new province for example; don't add just the province, add some new summons - quests - npcs that take full advantage of the 3G engine.
In a nutshell - test the hell out of every little update and then release in a stable public update. The server I program for does this and it has proven very successful.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
shorty thats a really big problem with new gms, u think its just to add something and that it... well its not, even little mistake will cause the server to be crap, community is one of the most important thing on server, ppls dont understand it... quest, npc, summons can be found in lomcn if u search for them...

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
I kinda take exception to that. u are mistaking stable releases custom programmed from scratch for script kiddy gms. communities like things which adds to the game in the longrun. a feature which is fun for three seconds is not worth the effort. the program I aid has been up for three years with an excellent community. I do know how to program and I have never used a script I've downloaded. check in release section as I have added one I have made which I am currently updating too.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
u didnt understand what i am saying...
if one boss is dropping more then he should drop, its will cause ppls to hunt only him, and the server will get tons of items that ppls dont deserve to get, i remember very stupit gm told me in the first lmyth, that ppls dont have chb yet so they need to change drop files, the server exist for 1 week and u want ppls to have chb? in lmyth 2 the hoster told me that someone hunted for a day in ice and he found nothing, so what that noob was about lvl 35 and thought he could kill 3 monsters and find something good... that just stupit... if he want items he need to lvl, and gms and ppls dont understand that, if that n00b killed 15 ice mobs in 1 day, and didnt find anything, its his fault that he went there, u cant expect ice mob to drop like bosses...
i remember that someone else told me once that he want to make pro/para in quest only, what do u think will heppend if it will work like that?
i was working on private servers for a few years, maybe not mir servers, but other games which have the same community rules, gms need to understand what they can do and what they cant, if they want long term community...
of course server dont last long, if u can lvl 10 hours and then to kill any boss ingame easily, its not fun...

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
true, an ill informed gm can be the downfall to any game. Choose them wisely