Windows 10 and 2.3

smoochy boys on tour

Blizzard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 3, 2005
I've been trying to play mir extreme which is using the 2.3 files but whenever I launch the exe nothing happens... I just get the egg timer and nothing... When I go into task manager mir2 (32bit) is in background processes..

I have downloaded another 2.3 server (4souls) which loads and boots up fine with nothing being changed on my laptop so know it's not a anti virus blocking anything as I've switched them off etc just wanting to know if anybody can shed any light on what might be the issue? Every other server I've played works fine except extreme..

Lone

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 15, 2007
We would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this, I have spent the morning downloading other 2.3 servers exe files and swapping them out on the test server to try and get some kind of work around but i cant find another exe that works with the files.

We are currently using TD's 2.3 files so im assuming its something to do with windows 10 not liking the way the exe is encrypted but we cant seem to find a solution.

Other windows 10 users have either installed virtual machines with other copys of windows on or they have downgraded, which seems a mega hassle just to play a Extreme.

As mentioned above any advice people have would be great

All the best

Lone

Blizzard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 3, 2005
I've looked and its installed and guess it comes with windows 10... I just don't understand how other 2.3 exe's work and this one dont..

if anybody wants to team view me then they're more than welcome to try and sort it out??

Last edited:

Blizzard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 3, 2005
Run as admin? Compatibility mode?

tried both... tried disabling windows defender in regedit.. but use a different exe and it launches the game but can't get past login screen which ain't the problem atm

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
I've looked and its installed and guess it comes with windows 10... I just don't understand how other 2.3 exe's work and this one dont..

if anybody wants to team view me then they're more than welcome to try and sort it out??

Which versions are the ones that work?

Blizzard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 3, 2005
Which versions are the ones that work?

I've tried P69 and that works and I've tried 4souls which are both 2.3 from what i gather.. and when putting the sabremir exe into the same folder and changing ip etc that launches into game but thats it..which is understandable.

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
I've tried P69 and that works and I've tried 4souls which are both 2.3 from what i gather.. and when putting the sabremir exe into the same folder and changing ip etc that launches into game but thats it..which is understandable.

They all look to be different from TD's 2.3 files. The problem is possibly due to Themida as Lone states ( a security program used to pack the binaries on TD's files) and I'm afraid there's not much you can do about that if it is the case.

Blizzard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 3, 2005
They all look to be different from TD's 2.3 files. The problem is possibly due to Themida as Lone states ( a security program used to pack the binaries on TD's files) and I'm afraid there's not much you can do about that if it is the case.

someone else said it might be down to the different version of 2.3 files as well..so if this is a known issue and they're the files he's using then it solves the problem.

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
I downloaded the same Themida version used to encrypt 2.3 Mir and unfortunately (using win 10) I am experiencing the same issues as you described above with any binary executable.

However, version 2.0.3.0 has scripts floating around on the internet which you can use to unpack. You could even re-encrypt it using a more up to date and compatible version.

Lone

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 15, 2007
I downloaded the same Themida version used to encrypt 2.3 Mir and unfortunately (using win 10) I am experiencing the same issues as you described above with any binary executable.

However, version 2.0.3.0 has scripts floating around on the internet which you can use to unpack. You could even re-encrypt it using a more up to date and compatible version.

Thank you for the reply and the test :) very helpful to have it confirmed.

I wasnt aware of other versions that would work with TD's file so mentioning 2.0.3.0 is awesome thanks :) i have something to search for now :P (all i need to do now is learn how to do that side of things as well :-/ )

All the best

Lone

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
For the record, my Win 10 didn't have DirectPlay, it needed it when I wanted to run a Ruby client.
It was a virgin Win 7 install immediately upgraded to Win 10.
Had there been a need for it, maybe 10 would have added it at install, my work Win 10 didn't need it as a separate install and it ran Ruby and Official Korean without problems.

Once DirectPlay installed on the empty Win 10 machine, the Ruby client worked fine.

Blizzard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 3, 2005
I have it installed as you right click start menu go to programs and features > turn windows features on and off > legacy component > then make sure direct play is ticked which it is..

Is there anything I can do to get it to work jest or is it a job lone has to do?