Would a 3D LOM2 work?

Join Discord

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Hi everyone,
just want general feedback, would a MMOPRG that is 3D based on legend of mir work? Taoists, wizards, warriors, bichon wall etc but in 3d. It wouldn't be exactly the same but would have the same interface and general ideas. Also have things such as item crafting, ability to fly and swim and have houses and shops. What do people think?

Hastelloy

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2006
Stone, UK
your thinking of cabal / wow etc but with a mir setup ? i think it would work and id probably enjoy playing a server like this but i cant see it ever happening with so many alternatives like perfect world/wow/nwn/cabal etc it would stop mir from being unique if you get me wouldnt feel the same.

besides that isnt Woool basically a 3d mir?

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Wool still uses 2d graphics and I see your point, that was what I thought, that the 2d graphics are what makes mir really. I don't know wether to start the project, would take me 2 weeks as I have other committments like FH, to get a basic shell running, with one map and spells and that.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
there was a 3d mir ages and ages ago. bichon wall and everything, dont think it picked up. cant remember what it was called.

mir's only good because of its simplicity imo, if you take that away and introduce high end graphics i dont think it would be mir. just another mmo.

you cant compete with the mmo graphics nowadays. i only like mir because its so editable.

Tallos

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 7, 2009
i only like mir because its so editable.

That's why Mir2 will live on for a very long time, there's so many different people who know how to make a server, that there's a massive variety of players. I've played WoW inside-out and back-to-front and I can honestly tell you that other than the odd moment where you say "Wow, that looks amazing!" (which is once every expansion), graphics are rarely noticed.

Mir's gameplay has always been different from the big names, it's like playing old school games on the MegaDrive/MasterSystem, some things are a classic that just can't be replaced, no matter how hard the multi-billion pound companies try.

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
Yeh but it depends how you go about it. I think if you had a static camera (therefore lots of backface culling - meaning you can have higher poly chars/environments) in the same position as mir is now, 3d characters and environmental models with a mixture of particle fx and current screen blending for spells (as things like fire, explosions and smoke require complex shaders to get looking realistic) you could create an authentic mir experience.

If you left the engine how it is you could make it able to use 32bit graphics so you can get more colour detail in the sprites, but that would mean making everything again from scratch, which would need a large 3d modelling and animating team

Hastelloy

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2006
Stone, UK
Yeh but it depends how you go about it. I think if you had a static camera (therefore lots of backface culling - meaning you can have higher poly chars/environments) in the same position as mir is now, 3d characters and environmental models with a mixture of particle fx and current screen blending for spells (as things like fire, explosions and smoke require complex shaders to get looking realistic) you could create an authentic mir experience.

If you left the engine how it is you could make it able to use 32bit graphics so you can get more colour detail in the sprites, but that would mean making everything again from scratch, which would need a large 3d modelling and animating team

thing is though for it to be truly 3d it couldnt work with a static camera, the only way i could see a mir working 3d is the same way as never winters nights, they have servers that are so simple to make and run like mir but you can zoom in and out of the character you are playing, 360 degrees around the character to see what each piece of equipment looks like down to the slightest modifications that you as a player can make to it etc

good fun but as i said before, it wouldnt be the same if it was 3d and theres so many 3d mmorpgs to choose from i dont think it would actually take off

my opinion though
-J

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
thing is though for it to be truly 3d it couldnt work with a static camera, the only way i could see a mir working 3d is the same way as never winters nights, they have servers that are so simple to make and run like mir but you can zoom in and out of the character you are playing, 360 degrees around the character to see what each piece of equipment looks like down to the slightest modifications that you as a player can make to it etc

good fun but as i said before, it wouldnt be the same if it was 3d and theres so many 3d mmorpgs to choose from i dont think it would actually take off

my opinion though
-J

The thing is if you change it to a manipulatable 3D camera, the pvp system, spell casting etc would all have to change - which is part of what makes mir unique. Perhaps you could swap between different static cameras when you go in to different floors/rooms. The benefit of switching chars, environments and effects to 3D is that you are not relying on sprites for everything you can use shaders too. You could have a daylight shadow and lighting system, proper weather, deformable/destroyable environments (which is possible now but is easier in 3D). The char/mob animation would be smoother and chars look more customisable easier instead of layering sprites on top of each other like it is now you just attach a helmet model to the head.

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
3D Mir would be cool, just flying and swimming would be weird on mir. Also, how sick would a SOWG//Steel armour look in 3D, =O doooo ittttt

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
I had an idea the other day of a small 3d part of mir but not full scale, like a 3d mini game killing monsters or something

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
Make a mir mobile mmorpg, i know i heard it's been done before but i know there's quite a big market for a good mmorpg on a mobile phone, I tryed a few in the past when bored and it was surprising the amount of usercount those games got.

Ontopic i don't think a mir 3d would be a big hit like others say mir is only good because of the way it is, but by all means give it a try and see how much intrest it gets ^^

Hastelloy

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2006
Stone, UK
Make a mir mobile mmorpg, i know i heard it's been done before but i know there's quite a big market for a good mmorpg on a mobile phone, I tryed a few in the past when bored and it was surprising the amount of usercount those games got.

Ontopic i don't think a mir 3d would be a big hit like others say mir is only good because of the way it is, but by all means give it a try and see how much intrest it gets ^^

the mobile 1 would need to be pretty special though, the old mir mobile game reminds me of pokemon for gameboy advance :D

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
lol who exactly is goin to make all these 3d images? :l

its a silly idea, ppl like mir cause its 2d.. simple and easy

i dislike WOW and other 3d games

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Would be good to see a game based on the mir armours, weapons and skills... the maps would be the hardest lol...

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
Would be good to see a game based on the mir armours, weapons and skills... the maps would be the hardest lol...

Its the other way around m8, the maps would be the easiest things to make in 3D because placement in 3D is a lot easier then the stupid Mir Map editor. As the char sprites are so small it would be hard to recreate all the detail from such small reference.

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
What an amazing idea, everybody plays Mir for its amazing storyline.

Oh wait...