xenforo

Join Discord

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Wow, gotta admit that's neat! I'm going to buy a license!

h

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
what are the main features than distinguish it?

Other than apperance.

/gw

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
How did you find out about xenforo? Do you work for them?

h

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
How did you find out about xenforo? Do you work for them?

h

no, vb ****ed up saying they are suing them for copyright infringement when infact its two totally different systems, i want whats best and will provide functinallity, this is the future.

hustler

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Yeah, i've played around on your test forum and seems almost like a social site, it's amazing. It's better than vb 4 by far and yeah i can see it's two different systems so i dont know why they would think to sue them. I'd like to buy a license but not sure yet since its in beta but it said that its on limited offer at $100 since its in beta so i might buy it now. Did you buy a license then?

h

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I'm not feeling it yet...

And there are some parts that have been clearly ripped from vB.

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
What's been clearly ripped? I've got the source, i got it all... its hardcoded from scratch using zend engine, its two different platforms, its like a motorcycle claiming copyright against a car.

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
What's been clearly ripped? I've got the source, i got it all... its hardcoded from scratch using zend engine, its two different platforms, its like a motorcycle claiming copyright against a car.

you can have intellectual copyright to things, Just because you create a new thing from scrath, if a company has the principle patented not just the exact copy, it can be a breach of copyright law. For using their idea.

I havn't spent more than 5 minutes looking at this, i just think that may be the grounds VB are suing on.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Oh I'm sure it is. What I mean is there's little unique about it, it looks very similar to vB.

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
you can have intellectual copyright to things, Just because you create a new thing from scrath, if a company has the principle patented not just the exact copy, it can be a breach of copyright law. For using their idea.

I havn't spent more than 5 minutes looking at this, i just think that may be the grounds VB are suing on.

It's a forum, they have catagories, sub forums, users online, control panels and everything else, wheres the patent infringement? the Logo? The design? Having already looked at it extensively i cannot see one valid legal point that they could be held accountable for unless they signed some sort of silly contractual agreement where they would not compete with vbulletin, which is doubtful.

Oh I'm sure it is. What I mean is there's little unique about it, it looks very similar to vB.

its a forum, its not going to have a white page now is it lol.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
No, but there's plenty they could have done with a bit of imagination, instead they've just copied.

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
It's a forum, they have catagories, sub forums, users online, control panels and everything else, wheres the patent infringement? the Logo? The design? Having already looked at it extensively i cannot see one valid legal point that they could be held accountable for unless they signed some sort of silly contractual agreement where they would not compete with vbulletin, which is doubtful.

its a forum, its not going to have a white page now is it lol.

maybe Vbulletin had this in the pipeline and already had it patented?

I dont know im not saying im 100% right im just offering a possible explanation as i agree itdoesnt seem vbulletin could sue rly, unless there is information unknown to us, at which we can only speculate.

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
cant see it becoming the new vb in all honesty, but i could be wrong.

vb is used by alot of big names, which in itself is a huge amount of free advertising on its part, any extra features this new forum has i expect vb will match + add some more ontop.

buts its good to see new names challenging vb, it should hopefully motivate them to make vb even better.