[Yet another PC buyer] [Urgent]

smoochy boys on tour

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
£400, pushing £500 that is: $736-950

Preferably lowest value, but if you must, you can propose slightly higher, £500 being the maximum. Will be used to play a LOT of games and must be all around powerful.

I am considering a high-end graphic card (nvidia 7800 maybe or a good ATi card?) as a priority with a chunk of RAM (2GB if you can push it within the limit of cost, but 1Gig should be fine). Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft should be playable with preferably eye candy to spare. Hard-drive may be an issue due to large games, looking for 200gigish or larger if possible.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but if you could advice me on anything specifc =) andthank you

Turin

ps - its just the main components + a PSU, maybe even a case (this is not necessary). Optical and floppy drives can be ignored.

[STRIIIIIIIIIIKE THAT =P]

CPU: 2ghz+ Intel or whichever AMD you would recommend for similar performance.
RAM: 1Gig, but ability to upgrade at a later date.
HDD: 100GB+
GFX: Important for the function of the PC, whichever can suggest. Will be playing very graphically heavy games.
PSU: Good, dependable power source.

...maybe a case if you can squeeze it in too. Nothing fancy tbh.

Hope that is more in range... :s!

Last edited:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Hmm how much do you think I need? $1200? (£650) or even higher :O?

Last edited:

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
already got a monitor? cos for under £500 u can get a cheap but decent case, an sli mobo with an Athlon64 3500+ cpu, 1gb ram, 6600gt gfx card and 120gb hdd with cash left over for optical drives shud you wish. komplett bundles are a nice start if u can put things together yourself. but if you want it prebuilt, like urban said theres noway you'd get anythin that spec for that price.

Last edited:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Fair enough, I was thinking too over the top. I'm trying to get a really good deal for a close friend of mine.

To be fairly honest, all the PC has to be able to do is play most MMORPGs and heavy shootemups and first person games like Medal of Honour (up to European Assault) and Battlefield etc with decent frame rates.

It's mainly the graphic card I'm worried about - forget the "all around powerful" part, I'd rather the PC be able to concentrate on playing hardcore games only. Otherwise the CPU and Ram you mentioned Annon is alright =)

Turin

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Turin said:
Hmm how much do you think I need? $1200? (£650) or even higher :O?

Well with what u want.....lol i'd say around £800-900 ish, possibly more

RAM of 1Gig = £30-40
RAM of 2Gig = £80
Hard Drive (200 Gig) = £150-200
GFX Card = £200
AMD Processor = £100
PSU = £80

All thats ESTIMATED around £660 (£620 If u want 1Gig RAM)

But don't forget thats only the components lol, if ur buying a whole new PC aswell, u gotta rmb to add the cost of the motherboard, network cards and all that shizzle

Last edited:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Sonic said:
Well with what u want.....lol i'd say around £800-900 ish, possibly more

RAM of 1Gig = £30-40
RAM of 2Gig = £80
Hard Drive (200 Gig) = £150-200
GFX Card = £200
AMD Processor = £100
PSU = £80

All thats ESTIMATED around £660 (£620 If u want 1Gig RAM)

But don't forget thats only the components lol, if ur buying a whole new PC aswell, u gotta rmb to add the cost of the motherboard, network cards and all that shizzle

Thanks Sonic, I estimated around £500-600ish too. I am building a completely new PC, but I should be able to borrow tidbits (optical drives etc and maybe even a reasonable PSU) off of other PCs if that's totally necessary.

But it really is the graphic card, it's overall compatibility and ability to run most games out today and possibly many of the RTS, FPS and MMORPGs of the future.

Turin

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
++ <3

Thank you very much (again ;)) !
Turin =)

ps - out of curiousity, is there any game 7900GT cannot play?

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
It's not so much if a card can actually play the game rather than what settings you have to use. The 7900 GT is a solid performer that will let you max out BF2, Quake 4, etc. There will be a few games it cannot, but the eye candy is still right up there.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
It's not so much if a card can actually play the game rather than what settings you have to use. The 7900 GT is a solid performer that will let you max out BF2, Quake 4, etc. There will be a few games it cannot, but the eye candy is still right up there.

Awesome; he'll love it.

=_= I still got to upgrade my x800xl later this year, with your wisdom and technological forsight, should I go with ATi's x1900 thing or a 7900 for myself?

Turin