NewzBin

smoochy boys on tour

Hazuki

VIP
VIP
Apr 14, 2004
United Kingdom
Hey guys your saw the latest, Newzbin are facing court action, sad days :(.

http://v3.newzbin.com/news/view/?nw_id=230

Newzbin.com said:
Legal Situation - Suspended Reports

You may have noticed that recently we suspended a number of existing reports. This was done after receiving notification from the MPA that those reports were potentially of their copyrighted works. This suspension will remain until the reports are verified not to be infringing.

Despite this, in the last week, we received notice that the MPA have filed for an injunction against us. We are thus now going through the motions of filling out paperwork etc and will see what happens next. There's not much else to tell you at this stage; we'll keep you posted.

Discuss :).

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
thats gay. i pay £12 a month for a usenet account. without newzbin im back to torrenting :(

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
There was something about it before. That's an updated news bulletin.

Get the most of it while you can then tbh :P

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
I don't think they'll get shut down.

They'll play the.. 'We don't upload or host the files, we just link people to them' card.

If anything i'd imagine they'd just need to not have features that allow you to search directly for Xbox Games etc.

/Ash

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
They've been in it for a while now, I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Will probably just mean we'll have to use a different resource.

Most of the good posts come from the best newsgroups anyway, and you can pick them straight from the source.

Usenet til I die, not even my ISP knows what I'm downloading. They must get suspicious, I take the piss with my downloading :D month before last I downloaded about 1TB of goodies.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
They've been in it for a while now, I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Will probably just mean we'll have to use a different resource.

Most of the good posts come from the best newsgroups anyway, and you can pick them straight from the source.

Usenet til I die, not even my ISP knows what I'm downloading. They must get suspicious, I take the piss with my downloading :D month before last I downloaded about 1TB of goodies.

How'd you manage that?

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
SSL, your ISP can't see the contents of encypted data exchange. They're only allowed to view unencrypted customer traffic data with a warrent regardless, but it just adds an extra piece of mind.

But for me it's also good because I can do it at work and all they see is high bw usage, rather than me downloading illegal software and media which would get me instantly fired.

It's more a peace of mind thing, usenet/ftp/http downloads will always be relatively safe so long as p2p mediums are used by the general public. Then again I still wouldn't rely too heavily on http downloading such as rapidshare, they're still one entity and have logs of all the **** you download.