Can Rishi Sunak really ban smoking and vaping?

Join Discord

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
Who's going to stop anyone doing this?

Smoke will always linger. I was in this underpass and the stench of cannabis from a guy walking under.

I don't think he can stop anyone.

There's always cash cows going on for cigarettes and vapes, hence all the vape shops.

Last edited:

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
They haven't voted to ban smoking, just the sale of it to people of certain ages.

Every little helps I guess - it's a disgusting habit.

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
They haven't voted to ban smoking, just the sale of it to people of certain ages.

Every little helps I guess - it's a disgusting habit.
Bloody horrible smell it is.

People reek of it in Work when they come back in after their fag break.

So many shocking facts of the consequences of it.

Reactions: CountedZero

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Around 80% of the price of a packet of cigarettes is now made up of tax.

They would never ban it mate.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
As others have said, they will never ban alcohol or cigarettes. They pack too much tax.

Vapes won't get banned, although I feel like these disposable ones 100% should. We'll probably see the price on them increase as we start adding more tax.
They are also looking to limit them to specific colours etc. As these bright colours, flashy lights etc are becoming a fashion accessory.
Won't look as good on a tik tok video's if you are holding just a plain black stick.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
they are looking to ban the sale of it to people who are born after a certain year from what I heard?

But it wont stop anyone smoking, always ways round, get someone else to buy it for you like most people do when they are under-age/cant buy it themselves.

Ohnozircon

LOMCN Member
Oct 12, 2020
they wouldn't ban it, they make too much money from it.
Actually, the money smoking related illness cost the NHS far far outweighs what they bring in from cigarette sale taxation

I think its something like 10b in taxes compared to 20b in NHS costs

• Wow
Reactions: Pusha

CountedZero

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 4, 2019
I'm an Old Phart ! 30 years ago,I gave up Tobacco. Cold turkey ! Hardest thng that I've EVER done .

There are three significant thngs that have improved in my life.
1:- Taste - Stuff tastes so much better for instance , Vanilla ice cream . You can tell the quality of the vanilla used.
2:- Health apart from better insurance premiums . ask a smoker to run up and down 3 flights of stairs ! He probably can't.
3:- Love Life . Yes very much better Who likes to kiss an ash tray ?

Saying all this, freedom of speach/actions is too important to just use as a political excuse .
YOU have to make decisions . Not have someone in their own 'upper atmosphere' choose for you.

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Actually, the money smoking related illness cost the NHS far far outweighs what they bring in from cigarette sale taxation

Wow when you put it like that it's crazy!

BAN ALL SMOKERS FROM NHS. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Omnibus

Ohnozircon

LOMCN Member
Oct 12, 2020
Wow when you put it like that it's crazy!

BAN ALL SMOKERS FROM NHS. :ROFLMAO:
the other thing to factor in though (which the government wont openly admit) , is when a smoker dies before or during pension age, and has paid into it , alot of the time the government gets that money too lol. So as much as its double the cost for the NHS, thats also offset by stealing peoples pensions when they go up in a puff of smoke

Reactions: Pusha

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield

Actually it only costs around 1.9bn in healthcare. Increased figures are their estimates in productivity and social care, e.g. smoker likely to die early or loss of earnings to business due to smokers.

Compare the figures of tobacco and alcohol which is around 3.5bn a year in healthcare and estimated 21bn in social.

They need the tax thus the reason for putting extra duty on vapes in 2026. Risks are made clear to smokers, people still buy a pack of 20 for £15 if they want to smoke let them? Even if this is voted in it won't change anything good old Timmy is buying dodgy vapes at aged 14 it will just increase the tobacco black market stuff and those vapes and dodgy tobacco are probably worse and cigs...

Reactions: Tai

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
What scares me is the black market side of things. They can put anything into vapes nowadays so whats to stop them putting things like fentanyl in them to get customers double addicted (not to mention the amount of accidental overdose deaths there would be). Its a scary world we live in.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
It'll be over 80 odd years before we become fully "smoke free" if passed but in my opinion the issue isn't smoking, its vaping. People vape who have never smoked... Vaping was pitched as a method to help people quit smoking, now in my opinion.. its more of a public nuisance than smoking.

The amount of corner shops who sell illegal cigarettes & vapes is ridiculous.. the ban will just encourage them.

Reactions: Far

Guccci

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 8, 2014

Not sure where you got your figures from? The cost of smokers to the NHS is no where near 20 billion, it's more like 3.

Personally I hate smoking, watched my grandad die a very painful death due to lung cancer.. But obesity costs the NHS far, far more than smoking. Does that mean we should ban sugar? Alcohol also costs the NHS just as much as smoking.