A nostalgic server?

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
Join Discord

Felicity

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 5, 2004
Ok as of late I'm finding myself looking for something decent to play. My mind takes me back to when I used to play mir, those were some fun times. I'm sure most of us remember the days of the official servers before the bulk of the problems.

I am wondering if it's just me or are others interested in rekindling this experience?

I would like to see a server that;

doesnt have so many custom item sets that everything previous becomes obsolete.
doesn't have those unrealistic looking glowing armours
doesn't have so many dungeon maps/provinces that newcomers are wtf:S and find themselves alone for hours.

does make use of the old maps/provinces - remember; if more people use the same areas this will promote pvp!
does make use of the 'default' items mir used - these were some of the best looking anyway!

In essence item stats/rates of a server are all relative. The goal is still the same regardless of these rates.

The days when I loved mir were back around 1.4? Ok sure, this is old hat now but I am not saying not to include the later updates but keep mir at its roots. The content is there, all it would need is some modification.

I look at the server ads, for me, I am put off by the customisation and stupid looking armours. Aesthetics are important!

Anyone else feel the same? Or am I alone on this one ..?

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Ok as of late I'm finding myself looking for something decent to play. My mind takes me back to when I used to play mir, those were some fun times. I'm sure most of us remember the days of the official servers before the bulk of the problems.

I am wondering if it's just me or are others interested in rekindling this experience?

I would like to see a server that;

doesnt have so many custom item sets that everything previous becomes obsolete.
doesn't have those unrealistic looking glowing armours
doesn't have so many dungeon maps/provinces that newcomers are wtf:S and find themselves alone for hours.

does make use of the old maps/provinces - remember; if more people use the same areas this will promote pvp!
does make use of the 'default' items mir used - these were some of the best looking anyway!

In essence item stats/rates of a server are all relative. The goal is still the same regardless of these rates.

The days when I loved mir were back around 1.4? Ok sure, this is old hat now but I am not saying not to include the later updates but keep mir at its roots. The content is there, all it would need is some modification.

I look at the server ads, for me, I am put off by the customisation and stupid looking armours. Aesthetics are important!

Anyone else feel the same? Or am I alone on this one ..?

Plans are in motion...

There are a few servers on the way, but my plan is to release a LR (I mean LR not LR bordering MR/HR) with an euro (not usa) feel.

There will be alot of custom content in terms of Maps (to make use of the 32-bit colour support in the heroes set of files) but I am aiming for a euro "Official" feel where verything has a professional finish, not just rushed and put together to make a quick buck on donations...

Theres no ETA as of yet as im still coding the Assassin class (see the heroes development section if your interested) but I would like to get a basic server open (basic being traditional maps/mobs with a couple of additions to show off) within the next 3 weeks.

Sam

Reactions: Squatts

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
Plans are in motion...

There are a few servers on the way, but my plan is to release a LR (I mean LR not LR bordering MR/HR) with an euro (not usa) feel.

There will be alot of custom content in terms of Maps (to make use of the 32-bit colour support in the heroes set of files) but I am aiming for a euro "Official" feel where verything has a professional finish, not just rushed and put together to make a quick buck on donations...

Theres no ETA as of yet as im still coding the Assassin class (see the heroes development section if your interested) but I would like to get a basic server open (basic being traditional maps/mobs with a couple of additions to show off) within the next 3 weeks.

Sam

As long as it isn't as crap and unbalanced as FourHeroes then alles goed. Good to see you are actually coding the class instead of leaving it till later. As with all 2.6 attempts the class should be finished mostly before server launch. Just to clarify, there will be no items and weapons with add HP, MP etc?

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
As long as it isn't as crap and unbalanced as FourHeroes then alles goed. Good to see you are actually coding the class instead of leaving it till later. As with all 2.6 attempts the class should be finished mostly before server launch. Just to clarify, there will be no items and weapons with add HP, MP etc?

Will be Euro items with slight modifications... So Dark armours will add hp/mp etc... but thats about it.

I have also added the option to turn off slow for mobs (e.g. bosses can be un-parable and un-slowable) and Aspeed will effect the success rate of slow on weapons... e.g. the more aspeed then less slow will work.

Taos wont be able to mass red poison.

Sins wont have a 360 degree mass attack spell.

FF, DoubleSlash and all other spells are going to be tested to ensure they are balancd etc....

Im looking to do this professionally... not throwing something together :P.

I also have a 24 hour support team ready who will be able to answer questions and reboot server (no gm powers or access to server files though).

Just need to get a few videos/advertisements made up really to get some interest in it :P

Sam

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
Will be Euro items with slight modifications... So Dark armours will add hp/mp etc... but thats about it.

I have also added the option to turn off slow for mobs (e.g. bosses can be un-parable and un-slowable) and Aspeed will effect the success rate of slow on weapons... e.g. the more aspeed then less slow will work.

Taos wont be able to mass red poison.

Sins wont have a 360 degree mass attack spell.

FF, DoubleSlash and all other spells are going to be tested to ensure they are balancd etc....

Im looking to do this professionally... not throwing something together :P.

I also have a 24 hour support team ready who will be able to answer questions and reboot server (no gm powers or access to server files though).

Just need to get a few videos/advertisements made up really to get some interest in it :P

Sam

Ah it's sounding rather good, can't wait.

Felicity

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sounds good. My only hope is that you don't add too many custom item sets etc. Make use of refine, gems and orbs. But above all the worst is seeing servers with amour sprites that do not look like they belong in mir, sometimes its impossible to even make out what they're supposed to look like!

Love to see a server making use of the old skins for armour/weapons. Even possibly modding them. I'm sure things could be colour changed, even something like that adds personalisation without compromising the games aestethics.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
It's not the game you miss, it's the community.

Same with most WoW players and Vanilla... the game has improved whereas the community isn't as good.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Sounds good. My only hope is that you don't add too many custom item sets etc. Make use of refine, gems and orbs. But above all the worst is seeing servers with amour sprites that do not look like they belong in mir, sometimes its impossible to even make out what they're supposed to look like!

Love to see a server making use of the old skins for armour/weapons. Even possibly modding them. I'm sure things could be colour changed, even something like that adds personalisation without compromising the games aestethics.

I personally don't even like colour changed items to much. Some stuff it does look pretty kl but it doesnt have the wow factor i guess...

Im going with traditional item views, ones for each class at like 20 24 37 40 and a few requirements inbetween.

Most of the custom looking items (good looking ones but ones you may not recognize) I have used for Rogues as they have their own state now (CC - Cunning).

E.g. of a Rogue stat would be like Level 40: 55CC 14AC 10AMC... Means he would do high damage (effective as part of a group) but would take a lot of damage.

Sam

Dante83

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 21, 2012
try my server knightmare Download the client and Register an account @ http://knightmare.galeforcenine.co.uk/ its very similar to euro as in we used the old maps similar experience and the same items hopefully my seerver will be what your looking for we are new and not popular yet but we are working hard to make ourselves known

terriblen

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2012
yes its "the community" but seems to me that once everything is solo able then that's what happens. If group hunting is needed then you make friends join a guild learn who can be trusted to play well and not be selfish with gold/drops.
Most servers make everything too easy the chars are overpowered defence is too much mobs dont kill people much. "the community" in mir was the stuff that happened because you needed a whole group to kill MTK etc
Heros make even the most incompetent players able to solo DD or OK.
Back on euro NOT MANY could solo bosses legit.
In mir2forever a tao can kill CS at level 33 no problem. On euro it needed amc kit expels and gold brace plus bag suns and a lot running around and not many people did it because it was hard.
I dunno how you get round this. People want to boast that they have dc 120 but make it so it hits like dc 60 or something

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
yes its "the community" but seems to me that once everything is solo able then that's what happens. If group hunting is needed then you make friends join a guild learn who can be trusted to play well and not be selfish with gold/drops.
Most servers make everything too easy the chars are overpowered defence is too much mobs dont kill people much. "the community" in mir was the stuff that happened because you needed a whole group to kill MTK etc
Heros make even the most incompetent players able to solo DD or OK.
Back on euro NOT MANY could solo bosses legit.
In mir2forever a tao can kill CS at level 33 no problem. On euro it needed amc kit expels and gold brace plus bag suns and a lot running around and not many people did it because it was hard.
I dunno how you get round this. People want to boast that they have dc 120 but make it so it hits like dc 60 or something

Its nothing to do with the stats, its bad balancing done by retards. you can get that same "euro" feel on a super HR, if done properly.

oO~Unknown~Oo

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Dec 4, 2007
UK
I'm not here to boast about my new server or advertise it but I just wanted to say I couldn't agree more with this post. This is my aim for my new server FortressMir2.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
Its one thing aiming for it and a completely different thing doing it while keeping the players happy with the relatively low user-counts.

Dimebag

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2011
What pisses me off about all the servers atm they are ruled by donaters and "tweakers" which everybody knows its a glorified word for cheating ... saying that tho mir has always been about speed if your fast you win! obv kit helps alot but there is not alot of skill involved if you skip across screens 10x faster than anyone else because you have "tweaks". saying that then you get every 1 crying about a speed cap so you cant win ....

What i used to enjoy was going on guild hunts where it took 5/6 people to try to make a dint into caves and bosses that drop "rare" items for example FoxCave on euro mir this was hard but rewarding!!! but now on servers you can solo everything ,everything is masivley stated and nothing is a challenge.. ( and for me this get old FAST!!)

The closest experience to a low rate Euro server iv had was when mir reunited was online ( "not sure if it still is") there was a few old face and some new clubbing togather to kill bosses BUT there was a issue with drops and after 1/2 months i felt server team gave up and server was neglected hense a massive decline in player count!

Personally for me a good server should have old and new places to go lots of mobs items but nothing to stupid where you fly though levels and places become redundant... i would love for a nice lowrate server to come online with a decent server team who would take time in looking after it ...!

Foopah

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 7, 2011
Livingston
It's not the game you miss, it's the community.

Same with most WoW players and Vanilla... the game has improved whereas the community isn't as good.

Spot on, the game itself is good but what made Mir fantastic was the people, the jokes, the fights and of course can't forget the camping two hours for a boss. You know, when rares were kept rare...

I will no doubt try out this server and spread the word amongst my Mir friends.

@ Dimebag - Mir Reunited team did sod all for the entire time I played that server. Was good, had promise to go places but the server team (as far as I could tell) did nothing. Oh wait, apart from ruin taos. I remember that.

Last edited: