Advice on making a new PC

smoochy boys on tour

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
So I decided to whip together a new PC for playing some games, nothing too fancy but I want it to run the newer games and last a good year or so.

I've been pricing things up and got some sort of idea of what I think I'm after. I just wondered if anybody has a similar setup (seems a common mid-range setup) and what their experience is with running games?

Also any other recommendations or anything I should change / rethink? The basic setup has:

Code:
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 Processor (2.4GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
8GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics OR 512MB nVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+

I'm no expert when it comes to this, not sure if the RAMs worth changing? Any advice appreciated really.

I'm willing to splash out more if its worth it or if I won't get the performance I'm after.

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
First off it looks like you have the wrong info for that CPU, the question is.. what motherboard do you have? does it support the 1333MHz FSB. But from what ive been reading about it.. if your keeping it at stock speeds and not overclocking(and your mobo supports it) I would go for the Q8200.. if it doesnt the your looking at the Q6600, not much slower but runs a little hotter and a tad louder, also better for Multitasking due to having double the L2 compared to the Q8200. Alough if you are looking to overclock(I doubt it) then i would go with the Q6600, hands down its head and shoulders above the Q8200 in the overclock race.

Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

I really dont see any need for 8GB of ram dude, its cheap to buy these days so really... its up to you. But what make is that RAM? I suggest getting some of these, very stable and decent sticks.

RAM - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-...-240-Pins-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-4-4-4-12-DHX

For the GFX.. the 9800 GTX+ ranges from 150 to around 180 quid. I personally would spend that 180ish and get yourself this.

GFX - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512M...R5-GPU-750MHz-800-Cores-2x-DL-DVI-I-HDTV-HDCP

Hope this helps a bit in making the desicion.

Last edited:

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
What's your budget?

Also, if your not overclocking, i recommend you buy a higher clock C2D (E8*** for example) if its going to be paired with a HD 4870.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
First thing you do before buying all your part's is Get a STATIC bracelet

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
Thanks for that advice Warlock, was after that sort of thing so I'll go take a look at what you said. I think I'll prob go for the RAM you suggested and I'll go read up on the gfx card.

My budget is around 800quid, but don't have to spend it all if it's not worth it ;p. I won't OC it, not unless I get bored with it in the future but I'll worry about that then.

And I won't need a static bracelet, built plenty of PCs before when I was more into it. Not been keeping up with hardware for a long time though hence why I needed a little help :D

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Unless your running SLI or Crossfire there is no massive perfomance gain from using i7..

Core2 actually perfoms better with a single GFX card.

And when it comes down to price / performance.. look at the price you need to pay for RAM / Motherboard for an i7 compared to a Core2

Really its not worth looking at an i7 imo atm.

Last edited:

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Last edited:

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
I read a good few reviews on it whenever it came out...

Core2 duo using a single card beat the i7 in 80% of benchmarks on FPS

But when they testing using a crossfire and SLI setup the i7 had a massive performance boost over the core2's using CF or SLI. I will see if i can find the reviews again.

http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/CPU/Gaming-Performance-Core-i7-vs-Core-2-Quad/Page-4.html

HAve a look best i can find atm

That is a Core 2 Quad, but fair enough.

Edit:

Core2Duo Route:

Core2Quad Route:

Personally, i'd go with the C2D setup. Youll get more frames.

Last edited:

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Much like RD said.. i would do with the CD2 setup.

setup.jpg

I personally had a Antec 900, its a great case, my gf's bro uses that PSU with his x24870 so there sufficient power.

When it comes to RAM/Mobo i always use Asus/Corsair.. just personal preference and its never failed me.. g/f's bro had some OCZ ReaperX for a while there... they lasted like a year, so he sent them back and got new ones, gave them to his mum and got 8GB Dominator:D (good choice imo)

Last edited:

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
Thanks alot guys, gonna take a look and get something ordered later today using the sets you posted.

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
Warlock, good spec up, but i'd really take a P5Q Pro and swap out the 4870 for a 55nm 216 GTX 260, its faster than the 4870. You dont need the Deluxe, theres no overclocking. The P5Q series may require a BIOS update for E0 stepping CPU's aswell, so the newer GA-EP45-UDP3 is a much easier route.

Last edited:

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
I really depends what your running man, a article on TomsHardware on the 3870 - 4870 and the 8800 - GTX 280 shows really how all the cards range.. its the best one i could find on it as it is very fair, they use the exact same setup for the tests, only changing the cards.

I only run deluxe mobo's, i tested once with a pro v deluxe.. in a benchmark 3DMark05/06 it gave an extra 400/500 points more... in overall results, it might not be much to other people but if you can get that from a motherboard on it own.. thats good for me lol, but ye go for the Pro.. it will bring down the price a little and it aint gonna make that much of a diff you will still end up with a nice setup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4870,1964.html

Have a read throught this, i will see if i can find any other.. but as far as ive seen, 9 times out of 10 the 4870 is faster.

* Asus P5E3 Deluxe (Intel X38)
* Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 (3 GHz)
* Crucial 2 x 1 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 7-7-7-20
* Western Digital WD5000AAKS
* Asus 12x DVD drive
* Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W

Thats the test config.. so it basically takes away most of the possible bottlenecks on the GPU, but i am gonna have a look at others and see how the stack up against each other. Ye i cant seem to find many reviews that puts the GTX 260 over the 4870.. there is 1 that does.. and about 30 that dont, really they are pretty on par in the long run, what i would say from everything i read..

If you want a card that runs a bit cooler and has less power consumption get the GTX260, if you want a card that runs a bit smoother and slightly faster in some cases and dont mind the heat factor(Antec can handle it, amazing airflow) and power consumption doesnt bother you (Why would it? lol), then get the 4870.. best bias advice i can give m8. ( I personally love ATI cards so you know what my choice would be:P) 4870x2 ftw:P

Last edited: