Android

smoochy boys on tour

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
My Samsung Galaxy S is being delivered tomorrow and i've heard about rooting etc. Anyone rooted thier Android phone, worth it?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
What's the advantage of rooting it?

My Desire came with the factory ROM on, not the Vodafone one so I get all the updates as soon as they are available and don't have to wait for Vodafone to make all the changes and release their own.

Brilliant phones though, I shall be sticking with Android for the foreseeable future.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Yeah i was looking at the ROMs so mine will have the samsung ROM and i'll have to wait for them to release the updates unless i change it? Looking forward to getting it and seeing how it differs from the iPhone :)

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
If it's Samsung ROM it will be standard I think.

But if it's the network operator ROM it takes longer for updates to be released because they all their own stuff to it.

Think it's something to do with the kernel version to see what you have. Mine has the HTC kernel, or when you switch on you get all the network name on boot up.

All I know if I got the 2.2 upgrade before others who had Vodafone branding.

Hany

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 28, 2005
My Samsung Galaxy S is being delivered tomorrow and i've heard about rooting etc. Anyone rooted thier Android phone, worth it?

I rooted my Desire HD because i needed to remove some stock applications and make my custom ROM, plus i noticed improvements in performance after i moved apps cache to SD after i rooted.

But.. beware rooting void your warranty

anyway if u have no clue about rooting id recommend u to visit

http://www.xda-developers.com/

my other phone is an iphone, and i just had my desire delivered y/day and i had no clue or what so ever about rooting, xda helped me loads. now my phone is rooted and i made a custom ROM for me :D

I'm quite happy with my desire over my iphone in all fairness.

Skyline said:
What's the advantage of rooting it?

My Desire came with the factory ROM on, not the Vodafone one so I get all the updates as soon as they are available and don't have to wait for Vodafone to make all the changes and release their own.

Brilliant phones though, I shall be sticking with Android for the foreseeable future.

Well as i said the advantages of rooting it would be the access to the root of the phone where u can update backup/restore/install new mods , you can have your own ROMS or use already made customized ones
like cyanogen

you can customize nearly every little thing when you root your phone

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Abit unsure on how to root the Galaxy S tbh,

GT-I9000
Firmware 2.2
Baseband I9000NEJP2
Build FROYO.NEJP5

the update.zip doesn't work anymore any advice? i had a look at the Odin tool but i cant seem to find a similar CF-Root-JPx-vX.X.tar