Anyone Have Ideas?

smoochy boys on tour

Crystal

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 26, 2004
I am currently running a server, the Crystal Server. The problem with the server is lack of ideas. I have added some new maps, items, all the normal stuff, but nothing that really makes it worth playing. So, I have this new idea, I want a server that is updated based on what the players want (as long as the request is reasonable and not outside the scope of how I want the server to run, which is a broad scope atm.)

What I am looking for is people's ideas. Please do not tell me to do everything that everyone else is doing on all the other servers. I do not want to be just another server with different people and the same things. Of course, a few things here and there might be worth carrying over, but I want original ideas, new ideas. I am capable of changing anything that isn't hardcoded into the game, I just need to figure out what to change. Whether you have played the server or not does not matter, just tell me things you think will work on a server. I want it to be challenging, yet still fun. Throw all your ideas at me and I will read through and see what I can do.

I am sure you have all at some point said, "I wish this server had this," or "This is too hard/easy/boring," or "What if I could do this instead?" Well, if it is reasonable, and possible with current server files, I'll give it a try. Here are the basic (and boring) things that I have done so far:

- Exp. ranges 3x to 8x (over the old 1.4 mir xp), depending where you are. Inside caves/temples is much higher exp than outdoors. Also the exp cap for a mob is 65535 on my server instead of 32767, leaving more room to play with in higher level areas.

- Starting level is one. Every game starts at one. I never saw the point in starting higher and missing out on the low end of the game. This is something I am not looking to change. Instead of skipping the low levels, I would like to find a way to make them more interesting. Anyway, it is very easy to get to level 20 as it is if you know where to hunt.

- New maps are 25+, there are plenty of maps for low levels already. It is not worth focusing on low levels atm because they are easy and fast to get through, while the higher levels are much too slow and lack good hunting options in my opinion. Normally rare items are much less rare on the new maps.

- I am not using any of the new Euro Mir maps (nothing after spider patch). New mobs are being used, but with different names and different stats. I have not really played since 1.4, so I would not know where to begin setting up the new maps, where to get the mapinfo, mongen, etc., so I just decided to use the mob graphics and make my own maps, stats, etc.

- Added a couple EI mobs (might add more later, its a painstaking process)

- Modified a few existing items (for the better), however most retain normal stats.

- Sun Potions (normal and medium) can be bundled by bank npcs.

- A few spell levels have been reduced.

Let me make one thing clear before you all start posting. I am not looking for a server team or anything like that, I am looking for input from people that play servers and have ideas. I am not going to make anyone a gm, and I am not looking for people to do any actual work on the server. I am just looking for ideas.

killer22

Permanently R3T/\r|)
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2003
PFC where else
m8 MOD your client files.. e.g change as much gfx in mir as u can to better mir, THAT alone is enof for peps 2 wanna play your server.. noone really is botherd by new maps or all new hexin anymore, its all reached a limit. the one thing noone wants 2 do but sooner or later will be done is remodling mir. b the first and mod mir your way, like when i was doin double weapons for chars ingame noone had eva thought about it or even knew how they should do it. but i did it, i did the Male Tao but i gave up coz i had no reason 2 continue (since then ive lost the files - think i mite have a screeny sumwhere) the bottom line is.. B Original and the rest will flow inline. but GL

Smiler2004

The more stuff you change the better because it will attract more people... try making as many new areas and items as possible and use new ei and mir 1.5 grahpics on your server... hope this helps :P

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Chamge exp, alot of people like high exp.

Ppl will disagree with me here, but very good, exp, such as like 20x helps get players. but u will need to make loads more items, or change sum item lvls to even it up a lil bit.

make rares rare, such as para clear ect ect.

LeoCrasher

Give out the IP publically and allow the ServerCount port ;)

\Leo

Crystal

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 26, 2004
Thank you everyone for all of your ideas. Let me just respong to a couple things.

killer22:
A large-scale graphic mod is out of the question at this time. I just do not have the time for something like that. I agree it would be a great thing to have that would likely attract a lot of people. It just is not practical for me right now.

Skyline:
As for exp, I know people like high exp, but I am working with a cap of 65k exp. There are already mobs on my server that give 65k and I have not even created the two highest level areas yet. If I made all the mobs higher exp, even more would hit the cap. There would be no reason to fight harder mobs if they are all 65k after a certain point. I like the idea, but unless someone know how to hex the exp higher, it is not a reasonable option. The DB will allow up to 32bits in the exp field (almost 4.3 billion exp), but the server itself is capped off at 17bits (65535). As for rares, the real good rares like the para and tele are very rare, clear is not even in the game (same as live mir last i checked, just too much power for a single person to have.) The less-rare items like a great axe or a life necklace are a little bit more common on my new maps but the difficulty of the mobs you have to kill to get them is very hard. My twinked out level 50 warrior cannot handle some of them without a group.

Smiler2004
Adding tons of items and new maps is gradually being done, but I have to agree with killer22 that this type of thing has reached its limit. Every server does it. It is at the point where it has to be done to even compete.

Thank you all for your posts. Hopefully they will keep coming and I will find things that I can use.

LeoCrasher

lol hun, Para, Tele and Clear have been in real MIR for a long time.

Its not unlikely that you will find a wizzy running around with a Pro and Clear.

Oh and answer me since u managed everyone else :P

\Leo

Crystal

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 26, 2004
Well the server count port is allowed as far as I know Leo. The computer is set up as a DMZ host on the network. The IP is 24.27.47.162 (and it is static). Also, just want to say I use and love Front End. Great program! ...now if only people would download at least my original patch so the autopatcher works!

In the ktest server files, I noticed only the MirKing has a clear ring in his drop file, and they removed him from the game. So, I guess some got out or they added it somewhere else since then... but that wasn't my point!

Last edited:

killer22

Permanently R3T/\r|)
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2003
PFC where else
heh i jsut reinstalled lom with ur patch on it and got it working .. patch works well it updated it for me nicely. :) just noone on atm. kinda boring being alone. also that minipatch u put up m8 it dont have the main town map that summit like Sumik Town :)

Crystal

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 26, 2004
The point of the minipatch is that it is small and get the important files like hum, weapon, items, etc. If i added the maps, then I would also have to add the mobs that are on the maps, as well as their sounds, at which point it would be the full patch, which is already available.

killer22

Permanently R3T/\r|)
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2003
PFC where else
o no i ment just adding the main map.. the town map. and setting the others up as indivial downloads.. so when there needed peps can download them instead of getting the FULL PATCH off. witch in the long run is a waste of time. if u only need 2 items outta it =/

Crystal

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 26, 2004
I am going to go to the hexing boards for a while and see about possibly upping the exp cap on mobs. I myself would like to try a high exp server. I will be back in a bit to see what you all have said.

First time I have ever posted replies that by the time I finish typing and hit submit, there are more replies since I last looked, lol.

LeoCrasher

Crystal said:
Well the server count port is allowed as far as I know Leo. The computer is set up as a DMZ host on the network. The IP is 24.27.47.162 (and it is static). Also, just want to say I use and love Front End. Great program! ...now if only people would download at least my original patch so the autopatcher works!

In the ktest server files, I noticed only the MirKing has a clear ring in his drop file, and they removed him from the game. So, I guess some got out or they added it somewhere else since then... but that wasn't my point!

I take that it is down atm then, as ServerCount receives no response, hence the following;
statcheck.php

And ty for ur comments ^^ - new version coming out soon.

\Leo

LeoCrasher

^^ CrystalServer -- Players: 2 -- Status: Good

statcheck.php

Yeaaaa another server for the SvrList ^^

\Leo

killer22

Permanently R3T/\r|)
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2003
PFC where else
its a nice server m8 but only thing atm thats a downside is the amount ov peps :( was on there for half hour and only person who came on was crystal saying reboot was about 2 happen heh :P

Edit: o btw crystal when u do a world message if u put ur name e.g ( Killer22 ) then : then put ur message peps can click ur name and it will auto set itself as a pm text down bellow just helps typin ur nick out each time. :P didnt know if u knew that :)

Hoody

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Mar 26, 2004
i know u can have a marrage npc, but wat do u get from it exactly? besides married,anything?

for example if ur wed does it mean u exp share, u could do it on the same principle as wen your grpd.but permanently, untill divorced anyway lol.

weddings were always popular in mir but in reality meant sod all, shared exp would give it som significance.
just an idea.

FUTURA

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 25, 2003
DXB
just add a huge variety of mobs and places to level, make each lvling area better for different things eg. one good for exp, one good for gold, items etc ....

also make lots of items and weapons so everyone can looks different :P

killer22

Permanently R3T/\r|)
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2003
PFC where else
crystal is working on trying to get the exp to break its cap. if completed it would own :) gl on that m8. also the game server is nice as it is atm, not easy but not hard. reminds me of old mir witch is alot cooler then all this new repeating stuff.

knad

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 19, 2003
LeoCrasher said:
^^ CrystalServer -- Players: 2 -- Status: Good

statcheck.php

Yeaaaa another server for the SvrList ^^

\Leo

I just got on* and no 1 on :( So i think u shud advertise over msn,and other forums then sit in sz and tell them abit bout server :P