AOL Problem -.- No Surprise

Join Discord

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
I did post this in GOT but thought id make a thread here cause prolly get told to go back on subject...

Neways, In my house my PC is upstairs, the Main Telephone port is downstairs, and i have 1 next to my PC.....

When i got AOl about a year and a half ago, i have this problem where i would get Disconnected when sum1 picked phone up, and when they put it down....

So when sum1 picks up toi dial or to answer a call, i will get d/c, i will automatically get r/c to AOL and will work fine till sum1 puts phone back down...where i will get d/c and r/c again. Other thing is the phone has a very bad reception and very crackly when Broadband modem is plugged in, but if i unplug it completely its an excellent reception, perfect.

So i rang AOl several times and told me to plug my existing cable they sent with the package into my main socket..... but it crnt reach because its not long enuf...
So they said as long as ure extention cable is RJ11 compatible, and its no more than 10m then it should fix it. SO i orderd 1 from Maplin and it worked fine when i plugged it in for a day or 2.... then started same problem.

So i relli dunno wht to do, i do plan on moving to a different ISP, so whts the best for 2MB Conenction speed aswell.

So ne advice on how to fix problem and wht ISP to go for will be appreciated :)

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
Lionheart said:
I did post this in GOT but thought id make a thread here cause prolly get told to go back on subject...

Neways, In my house my PC is upstairs, the Main Telephone port is downstairs, and i have 1 next to my PC.....

When i got AOl about a year and a half ago, i have this problem where i would get Disconnected when sum1 picked phone up, and when they put it down....

So when sum1 picks up toi dial or to answer a call, i will get d/c, i will automatically get r/c to AOL and will work fine till sum1 puts phone back down...where i will get d/c and r/c again. Other thing is the phone has a very bad reception and very crackly when Broadband modem is plugged in, but if i unplug it completely its an excellent reception, perfect.

So i rang AOl several times and told me to plug my existing cable they sent with the package into my main socket..... but it crnt reach because its not long enuf...
So they said as long as ure extention cable is RJ11 compatible, and its no more than 10m then it should fix it. SO i orderd 1 from Maplin and it worked fine when i plugged it in for a day or 2.... then started same problem.

So i relli dunno wht to do, i do plan on moving to a different ISP, so whts the best for 2MB Conenction speed aswell.

So ne advice on how to fix problem and wht ISP to go for will be appreciated :)

Right... youve got a 10mtr broadbacnd extension? Did you get one with a microfilter built in?? The 10mtr rule is correct, as i had the same problem when i moved to BT for ADSL, i got a 10mtr extension and had random disconnects!!! Phone BT up and got them to move the phone socket and everythings fine!

I think the extension of 10mtr, plus the 2mtr RJ11 cable connected to it made it 12mtr in reality, meaning the signal was breaking up!! The very second the PC was moved right next to the phone socket with the RJ11 cable plugged straight into the microfilter, bumpf, rocket fast speeds with solid un-interupted connection ever since...

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
i have 2 telephone ports both with filters in.

And i have a 10m extention from the main phone socket downstairs to my PC upstairs... so its no more than 10m neways, so i dont have the 12m problem :S

spence

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 30, 2004
if u have sky tv just go 2 channel 666 u will get ntl`s number from there

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
urbanfox said:
What master socket? What's the problem with cord length? Excuse me if these are stupid questions, but the UK must be different with the ISP's and my curiosity intrigues me.

Aparantly 10mtrs from the phone socket causes signal degridation, and ive actually experienced it when i got BT ADSL installed, i had a 10mtr extension and a 2mtr RJ11 cable and my connection was all over the place, my Router is now pluged straight into the wall socket from the 2mtr RJ11 cable and everything is fine!

I think what they mean by the master socket is the main phone point in the house thats wall mounted and not an extension thats taken off that one!

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
Ok Leo told em loads of things to do last nite and thank god my comp fked up cause she wouldve seriously killed me if i stayed on talking to her lol im not very bright with these things and she confused me alot ^.^ :atpc:

Newhoo i drew this lovely lil picture to help ppl help me :D

Main points :

1) Master Socket is downstairs
2) Extention is RJ11 at both ends
3) Filters have been replaced wiht new ones
4)Socket upstairs isnt relli used, but still has a filter in it
5)Extention goes from filter downstairs straight into Modem
6) im migrating to another ISP from AOL :D :D :D lol

Attachments

• funpicturethingy.JPG
    funpicturethingy.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 59

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
urbanfox said:
Why don't you connect via upstairs?

Thats what i was thinking, i have a second line installed like that, at the moment my PC is on the one downstairs cos im too lazy to re-build my table upstairs!!! Once i do, its going straight upstairs because ive got cables, speakers, printers and hardware all over the front room!!

If its a dedicated feed coming in of the main line you should be fine, however if its looped off the master socket then it could be construed as being an extension, which, if over 10 meters is a bad thing!

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
well i need it to plug into the dowstairs 1 cause it wont work otherwise as its the master socket. and the line is driled thru walls and **** and cba askin dad to sort ¬.¬

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Try connecting WITHOUT extension thats wht i mean by master sockey they told me to not use an extension

Lionheart

"SCHMIBBIT"
VIP
Jul 12, 2003
North Wales
Lionheart said:

thats y :P :clap:

GilgaMesh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 12, 2004
St Helens
I'm with AOL and my Cable is 20metres long and I have no problems.

I did have a problem when the DSL filter wasn't the first thing into the main socket (There was a telephone line extension thing then filter into that) that caused loads of problems.

I know you've probably already got it set up right but just go through this anyway. Unplug everything from your master socket. Then make sure DSL filter is the first thing to slot in.

If this don't work check all your wires for faults. Check if you have call barring etc on your line. Disable bt answer 1571 if you have it. There are loads of reasons why this could be happening. If none of these help I'll try and remember some more.

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
Lionheart said:
thats y :P :clap:

Ring BT and ask them, AOL are just the provider and they have no physical knowledge of the copper going to and from your house!

Its BT who are the ones who can advise you on the best means to get your connection, they will do it as you pay them for your phone line do you not? My mate is on ZEN ADSL and he rings BT all the time when theres a line problem and not ZEN, he only rings ZEN when there is a problem which can be identified as there fault such as DHCP, Latency etc!!

GilgaMesh said:
Check if you have call barring etc on your line. Disable bt answer 1571 if you have it.

Call barring has nothing to do with ADSL, you dont dial out, you use a direct digital signal connection to the providers server, were-as the Phone uses analogue signal which is seperated from the digital via the micro-filter!

I think the problem is more likley to be a phone extension wired from the socket rather than an ADSL filter connected straight into a RJ11 cable to the ADSL Router! At least thats the impression i get, i may be wrong.......

Last edited: