Baldurs Gate 3

Join Discord

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
Coming out on 3rd August.

Anybody getting this? haven't been this hyped for an RPG in a long time.

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
Coming out on 3rd August.

Anybody getting this? haven't been this hyped for an RPG in a long time.

I bought the early access and played through the story when that first came out and it was pretty sick after that I left it alone and plan to do so until proper launch now but a lot has changed including a lot of new classes and races being added to the game but I deffo think the game is worth the money if your a D&D, RPG, lover or even enjoyed divinity 2.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
I bought the early access and played through the story when that first came out and it was pretty sick after that I left it alone and plan to do so until proper launch now but a lot has changed including a lot of new classes and races being added to the game but I deffo think the game is worth the money if your a D&D, RPG, lover or even enjoyed divinity 2.
I picked up Divinity 2 while I wait and it's awesome!

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I've not been tracking BG3.

Forgot it was coming out, might have to have a nosey.

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
Yeah I really enjoyed Divinity 2 it is a very good game, as I said I only played BG3 when it first came into Early access and the story was fun but the game has been refined and had a lot of changes since then it will be very intresting to play it with all the classes.

I Will be making a Half-Elf Moon Druid at launch for my first full playthough, Hoping that I can play the druid how you would in 5E but I get the feeling with it being a video game that it would be too hard to compensate for every outcome that a player could think of doing on a Druid.

If anyone is unfamilar with D&D 5E and would like advice on Race, Class, and Multiclassing Synergies feel free to ask all I really need to know is what sort of playstyle you like in the game.

E.G for a strong-boy I'd suggest Half-Orc 3 levels Wildheart Barbarian and the rest Fighter Battlemaster take the great weapon fighting style and great weapon master feat, by level 8 you will be hitting enemies for insane amounts of damage each round and have access to 2 of the most powerful abilities in the game. Which is Rage for Barbarian halfing all damage you take except for the psychic type which can be overcome with items so your halfing everything and Action surge which gives you 1 addtional action per short rest.

Your average damage before rage will be 2d6+4+10=23 per attack with rage you add another 2 damage, then you can add addtional damage using a Battle Manuver on the attack for an addtional 1d8 damage which averages at 4 this means from a single attack without a critical hit you can deal 29 damage per attack up to 4 times per short rest.

Now lets say you roll a critical hit this lets you roll all the dice used for damage a second time so 2d6+1d8 average 13 damage but wait because your a half orc you get to roll the weapon damage 1 addtional time which is an addtional 9 damage totalling 51 damage from a single critical hit if you have rage on the go and a battle manuver in use.

Lastly you can attack twice in a turn without fail once your level8 but if you kill something or critically hit you can attack for a 3rd time as a bonus action which happens quite a lot, then their is action surge which is a free action ability to give you one addtional action this round which can be used for an addtional 2 attacks meaning 4-5 attacks in a single round. 29x5=145 damage without a critical but honestly because of reckless attack and trip attack manuver you will have advantage and critical hit often enough and 145 damage in a single round is pretty much garenteed to slay 90% of bosses.

This build is the lazy I wanna hit things very hard and not have to worry too much about my health points character of 5E.

• Love
Reactions: LightBringer

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I played the first BG'1' in a single player mode but didn't get very far, was one of the games that I never progressed in deep or finished. But that doesn't mean it didn't appeal to me, on the contrary. It was isometric view from above, like mir games, probably this new one is full 3d which I am still partial to.

In the early days of 3d games, I used to get motion sick and get mild headaches from running up close into pixelated walls and that may have gone away now years later (like I used to get sick in vehicles in my teens but that's ok now) but the resistance to try full 3d remains.

BG might be one of the games I did buy but probably some time after release in some heavily discounted sale. Also think I got BG2 downloaded cracked someplace on my old disks.

Some objects from the game might well fit into mir2 if they were cut out from screenshots, cut into tiles...

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Heard nothing but great things from my mates, just a shame there isn't cross platform (console to PC)

MasterD

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 27, 2003
Game of the year for me

1692514243020.png

^ wouldn't recommend this bit though :ROFLMAO:

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
I must be nostalgic.

Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance was great fun back in the day.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Inspired by mir1 discussion here on another thread, I went fishing for screens from old games from that era and instead found this gem of a site.

1694057930510.png

Baldur’s Gate 3 (recommend to use torrent to download)

There is also the first edition with all the expansion packs, Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition

The first edition works off the bat, as advertised, v3 doesn't start on my computer, maybe need to install supplied required support files. But starting out on BD1 brought back the memories. The graphics are now dated even with this game release using updated game engine, makes me curious what BG3 looks like.

I got some other old games from this site and while most work off the bat as they say (just download and launch), some need a short install.

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
Inspired by mir1 discussion here on another thread, I went fishing for screens from old games from that era and instead found this gem of a site.

View attachment 32480

Baldur’s Gate 3 (recommend to use torrent to download)

There is also the first edition with all the expansion packs, Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition

The first edition works off the bat, as advertised, v3 doesn't start on my computer, maybe need to install supplied required support files. But starting out on BD1 brought back the memories. The graphics are now dated even with this game release using updated game engine, makes me curious what BG3 looks like.

I got some other old games from this site and while most work off the bat as they say (just download and launch), some need a short install.

Baldurs gate 3 is great both visually and voiced perfectly well I say both visually but ya know when you walk in on an ogre and bugbear getting freaky in a storehouse you kinda wish the visuallys weren't as good. 🤪

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Just to qualify when I said the graphics are dated on the re-release of the original game, I don't speak as a gamer geek that is spoiled by the games out there today but as one who finds mir2 graphics not dated and still very much acceptable. That is the reference point I had in mind. Your typical gamer would laugh at either game.

Original game was released in 1998 (two or three years before mir2) and the motivation for the re-release some four or five years later wasn't to improve graphics (I think most game re-releases include improving looks) but rather other things about the game, its 'mechanics' and such like.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
OK, it being holidays and mir3d scene quiet, I went back to BG3 again and found that the readme instruction how to start the game were wrong, the correct file to start it is pointed out in comments on that site I mentioned above.

Making your own char is simply overwhelming, I ended accepting what was offered and only made some cosmetic changes to the appearance before jumping in.
I did play the original game and even if I never got past the starting town back then, still I expected to know enough to get by but boy was I wrong (also played three other turn based combat games in the past). The first bigger combat was a massacre, total confusion, never mind also a total disorientation on the map (IMO unfortunate choice of the starting out maps design, for those learning the ropes anyway). BTW I chose the easiest gameplay setting.

Don't even know if I have actually used my weapons or just bare hands. Yes, I had an axe equipped but it seems it needs to be selected to actually use it in this turn based combat.
I watched several videos that are supposed to explain combat to beginners but there is no help out there for complete idiots LOL
I spent some time figuring out the interface and by a mistake I almost killed my main char in the process (you can attack chars in your group!?), luckily this game unlike mir has save points...

As to graphics, it is simply amazing, probably the best in the CRPG category out there. I just hope to get better handle on combat ins and outs because you can't enjoy the game otherwise.

Last edited: