Join Discord

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Hi...

I have a problem..

As you know I run Sting.. and my issue is when I connect to Sting (I haven't tried other server)..

I log in and 75% of the time I get a black screen (This is after selecting Char and Pressing OK)..

Let me start at the beginning so you know where I am..

I got a new PC with XP SP3 on it.
I try to log into Sting but I get Massive lag.
I Disable DX9 Display (using dxdiag)
When I log in I get Black Screen (75% of the time)
When I log in and it works, I get no lag at all, but the game "Flickers" periodically.

Also, I assume its related but I can't see this on my Normal Char as it only affects chars above 255.

When I log into my GM (Level 65000), the game reports my Char as Level 232, and when this happens, it goes black screen.. When it reports the Level as 65000 it works fine.. this is, as far as I can tell, is random. Finally, this never happens when I run with DX9 Display enabled, I always get into the game fine (but with huge lag).

Any thoughts?

I have searched for Black Screen, but all I can come up with is the one with people making a server. I can't be the only person with this fault :(

P.S. I have the most up to date drivers for my Video Card.. I have also tried all configurations of Screen resolution.. and nobody else has this issue connecting to Sting.. (Could it be the fact that I am on the same Network?)

Screeny of dxdiag..

BlackScreen.jpg

Last edited:

mapadale

Mick has this only happened with the new machine running SP3 or has it done the same on another one using a lesser SP?

mapadale

It came with SP3 I think.. I have never had it happen before on any of my PC's..
The one thing that sticks out, and cause its not happening on any other machine. I would take a guess that its the SP3 thats causing the issue, there has been a lot of problems with SP3 in the recent months.

You should beable to uninstall the SP3 even though it came with it pre-installed.

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Just uninstalled it.. gotta wait till I get to log into the PC and try it though.

I will reply back here with what happens..

Thanks

/Mick

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
SP3 Removed, Didn't make a difference, which is rather upsetting, as I can't even play my own server lol.. I have 4 or 5 other PC's to use, but I want to use my new one.

Any more ideas?

/Mick

CheekyVimto

It's my Precious!
Veteran
Mar 8, 2005
Where abouts does it actually black screen?

Would it happen when the cutscene would play, if so try updating the codec pack, the K-Lite codec pack has fixed a similiar issue for me in the past.

worth a try anyways

mapadale

Where abouts does it actually black screen?

Would it happen when the cutscene would play, if so try updating the codec pack, the K-Lite codec pack has fixed a similiar issue for me in the past.

worth a try anyways
If it is, then it would load past the screen anyway. As a codec not running wouldn't necessary stop the game from loading correctly.

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
It happens after you press the OK button to enter the game..

The entire screen is black.. but suprisingly.. I can still take an in game screen shot..

I still think its something to do with the network.. you reckon it could be? But then again.. why does it work with DX enabled?

SCREEN0045.JPG

Last edited:

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
you need a other Driver for the 88xx Cards :-/ look at Mir3.co.kr on the Downlaod page, here you find one for this Game and Card Type.

mapadale

you need a other Driver for the 88xx Cards :-/ look at Mir3.co.kr on the Downlaod page, here you find one for this Game and Card Type.
Cheers Coly.

Its the GT series that does it, but not on all.

Mine is the 7300GT and for that to work with some of the online game that I play, I had to revert to an earlier drive. Which ddi seem to resolve the issue, though on a lot of games with the older driver the FP aint so good.

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Thx Coly, I downloaded the file it suggested...

158.22_forceware_winxp_international.exe

But.. when I ran it, it said I didn't have a graphics card to match..and closed the program. :(

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Drivers are the most up to date (which is probably the problem). Version 175.19 :(

The system came with the most up to date drivers, so I can't even Roll back the drivers.

mapadale

Dam.. nice thx :) I will give them a whirl when I get home.

Thanks

/Mick
Your more than welcome.

Also Mick, ive added you to MSN. I need to speak to you about somthing, but won't be on fully untill after 6pm if thats kool with you.