brand new pc just "died"

Join Discord

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
fitted everything al the parts etc. turned pc on. went thru bios fine and then started readinng windows install disk, then it said press enter to continue, so i pluged my keyboard in (usb) then pressed enter but nothing happned and it froze. so i rebooted pc it went thru bios and then went onto a black screen with a flashing cursor up top left. it now does this all the time any ideas what could be wrong..

using a msus m2a - vm mobo, sata 2 hdd, which is pluged into the red starta ports (internal stuff) cnt hear for post coz there no speaker on the mobo. alos i tired to install xp pro. any ideas at all?? also the jumpers on the hdd are fine.

mapadale

fitted everything al the parts etc. turned pc on. went thru bios fine and then started readinng windows install disk, then it said press enter to continue, so i pluged my keyboard in (usb) then pressed enter but nothing happned and it froze. so i rebooted pc it went thru bios and then went onto a black screen with a flashing cursor up top left. it now does this all the time any ideas what could be wrong..

using a msus m2a - vm mobo, sata 2 hdd, which is pluged into the red starta ports (internal stuff) cnt hear for post coz there no speaker on the mobo. alos i tired to install xp pro. any ideas at all?? also the jumpers on the hdd are fine.
You need to check cables and pin settings on the hard drive, once this is done you need to re-partition the hard drives.

If nether of the above work then you ether have a dead hard drive or a dead controller. Which means ether the hard drive or mobo needs to be replaced.

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
You need to check cables and pin settings on the hard drive, once this is done you need to re-partition the hard drives.

If nether of the above work then you ether have a dead hard drive or a dead controller. Which means ether the hard drive or mobo needs to be replaced.

wiring is fine lol/ nd i asint tried repartition it yet. soo ill try that thanxs . and hope not a new mof; t1his is my 3rd on this machine

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
did you buy a new WINDOW's disk or is it an old one? and how many pc's have you installed it on with SATA HDD? because you can only install window's once on a SATA and will not work on any other SATA HDD i had that problem when i built mine.

/ancient.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
if its a new hd he needs to repartion it first neway dont he lol?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
did you buy a new WINDOW's disk or is it an old one? and how many pc's have you installed it on with SATA HDD? because you can only install window's once on a SATA and will not work on any other SATA HDD i had that problem when i built mine.

/ancient.

thats not true. you can only REGISTER it on one pc, but u can install it and get it running for 30 days as many times as you want.

if its vista then u can install it and register it on 4 pcs (well with business edition you can, not sure about home)

mapadale

/ancient.
The fault he has is a Hard drive access viloation and this will be down to as i said above nothing to do with the OS itself.

As for the SATA and OS issue , who gave you this information - I have my OS installed on 4 SATA drives all in the same machine and not had a problem with it at all - The only issue you do have is with certain types of SATA drive as windows doesn't have all sata drives included in the installation and may or may not reconise a sata drive when it installs.
if its a new hd he needs to repartion it first neway dont he lol?
Thats a BIG NO, all drives that you buy are all ready formatted and partitioned.

The issue he has, is that though the hard drive has been reconised by the first stage of post its not being reconised on the second stage - Now as ive said this is down to ether a fooked partion or faultydrive/controller.

Last edited:

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN

/ancient.

Your thinking of an OEM version of windows, not all of them are, a retail version does not have the 1 pc restriction and as far as i know its not the HDD that windows is registered to, it's the mother board.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
thats not true. you can only REGISTER it on one pc, but u can install it and get it running for 30 days as many times as you want.

if its vista then u can install it and register it on 4 pcs (well with business edition you can, not sure about home)
well i tryd installing WINDOW'S XP Home on my pc and didnt work because my dad reinstalled window's on his PC he uses sata same with my bro's pc he sent £500 on a new pc with sata hdd and didnt even let him Partishion it. you are only allowd to intall Window's XP HOME/PRO on one pc per CD KEY
i payd £70 for a new DISK/CD KEY

/ancient

michelle

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
Hampshire UK
that’s not true. you can only REGISTER it on one pc,
but u can install it and get it running for 30 days as many times as you want.

Not quite right see below

Your thinking of an OEM version of windows,
not all of them are, a retail version does not have the 1 pc restriction
and as far as i know its not the HDD that windows is registered to,
it's the mother board.

No it’s the overall hardware configuration, change one or two things and it don’t require re-registration, change quite a few and will require re registration
Which you are entitled to do.

well i tryd installing WINDOW'S XP Home on my pc
and didnt work because my dad reinstalled window's on his PC he uses sata
same with my bro's pc he spent £500 on a new pc with sata hdd
and didnt even let him Partishion it.
you are only allowd to intall Window's XP HOME/PRO on one pc per CD KEY
i payd £70 for a new DISK/CD KEY

/ancient

XP Registration & Usage ( dont know about Vista)

Retail:-

Xp Home:-
Officially can only be registered to one computer at one time,
But there is no limit to how many computers you can register it to
as long as it is uninstalled from previous computers.

You can install it in as many computers as you want at the same time as a 30 day trial

Xp Professional
Amount of computers registered to at same time dependant on licence pack you bought

OEM:-
Supposed to only be for the computer or hardware item you got it with,
BUT you can re register it.
This will need to be done when it has detected some hardware changes
ie when you update a few hardware items and it has detected over a
certain amount of hardware changes, it will flag up that you have to re register.
this is something you are entitled to do

Last edited:

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester

Check bios and make sure that its still reading your CD drive first, make sure your CD drive is being detected and make sure that its still working, test in a different computer if your in doubt. Your bound to have a flashing cursor with nothing installed as there is nothing to be read on your harddrive.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
@michelle. i was right, i just didnt say that u were allowed to change some parts. because in this case it doesnt apply to him having a brand ne pc and all :P

mapadale

Check bios and make sure that its still reading your CD drive first, make sure your CD drive is being detected and make sure that its still working, test in a different computer if your in doubt. Your bound to have a flashing cursor with nothing installed as there is nothing to be read on your harddrive.

And you will find that I've all ready said all this above.

As I've said he needs to redo the partition on the hard drive has he has fooked it up - He started by installing a usb keyboard on boot -which won't work as the machine had booted with out instaling the usb drivers for the keyboard - that was his first mistake - second mistake was rebooting the pc after the installation had started - this has then caused the partition to corrupt - The flashing cursor in the top left corner of the screen is to indicate the hard drive is being read, but has nothing there for it to read.

There are now 2 possible faults here - the first being no partition so would need to create this again - needs to bring up the boot menu by pressing F8 from the moment it post's and selecting boot from disk - then needs to do the instalation again.

The second fault could be a fooked hard drive and unless who runs CHKDSK through Dos or the bios, we wouldn't know if its killed it - unless it failed to partition.

There is also a third option to all this - which not many people do know about, no matter how clever they are - Hidden in the recovery console on windows XP disks including recovery disk also, there is a hidden menu that allows to you to do certain things with the windows disk.