Can you cancel a phone contract?

smoochy boys on tour

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
Im just wondering lets say if i brought a contract phone and it was for 18 months paying £35 a month and i wanted to cancel it would i? lets say i lost my job and couldnt afford it any more or something like that? would they cancel it or still make me pay. Also if i still had my job and wanted to cancel it would they let me?

Thanks, KJD.

lewis

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 15, 2004
Southampton
nope not really, it's a contract and you have to meat the terms and conditions to pay that contract off. May be possible in some cases but you would just be paying a contract then have to send the phone back if you cancel so would be a waste.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
you can but you have to pay them the outstanding bill, would be better to keep payin the contract.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Sometimes you can get a good "buy out" deal. Most of the time thye just total all your remaining bills up though.

Only other way to cancel is if they chance the contract terms, then you can call them and say you dont like the new terms and want to cancel.

Mezoko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2005
Most of the time it's a ridiculous bill to pay off.
I think you can only get out of a contract for free within a set amount of days, usually 30 or something.
Correct me if i'm wrong :eek:

twigletuk

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 17, 2005
Crewe Cheshire
ive got t contract phones

nokia 5800 express music

nokia n97 32gb

n97 40 a month

5800 30

ive had 3 b4 and havent payd the bill was with 02
they sent me 1 out standing bill and thts all

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
Sometimes if your looking to move to another network provider. For example, coming from orange to o2.

o2 may offer to pay off your outstanding bill with orange, if you take up a contract with them.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
They will make you pay the outstanding bill. No doubt.

Unless, Just quit paying, They'll cut you off, Ignore their letters, And when it gets too far, They will ask you to pay £5 a month.

The scrots do it round here.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
if u cant afford to pay for the full contract, dont get it. simple as.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
if u cant afford to pay for the full contract, dont get it. simple as.

Agree.

Although sometimes due to unfortunate circumstances, such as been made redundant, people can no longer pay the contract.

If your struggling, call your provider, tell them your struggling to pay, and see what deal they can offer you, such as lowering your contract to a cheaper one.

Orange do it, not sure about the rest!

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
If any of you are on ORANGE...

Ring up and cancel now if you want, and keep the phone.

They have changed their T&C's http://orangeworld.co.uk/r/10/. SOmeone I know from a different forum have just terminated his.

GET THE FOOK IN!

4 months into a 24 month contract.

Just called, offered straight disconnection now, or in 30 days. Tooke the 30 days to sort a new phone out.

Thanls orange for my free blackberry bold and ps3!

He mentioned, which the message didn't, that the charges affect 0845 and 0870 numbers as well.

Really easy to do as well, no arguing or anything...woot!

Hazuki

VIP
VIP
Apr 14, 2004
United Kingdom
The page you are trying to access is only available via your Orange phone, when connected via the Orange GPRS network. If you are a BlackBerry user trying to access via the BlackBerry Internet Service Browser please change your default Browser to OrangeWorld through which this portal is available.

Got anymore info on this mate?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Well this is the opening post:

Okay, just had the following TXT from Orange

From 14 Sep we're changing the cost of mobile internet browsing & some calls not included in your plan. See http://orangeworld.co.uk/r/10/ for more

Im looking to get out of my contract (9months into an 18months contract) cos Im not happy paying what I am and with the service. Does them changing the T7C entitle me to cancel the contract? (free?) keep the phone?

How do I go about it?
http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=109441 - Read the full thread there, not too much info though. You may also need to register, you cannot use my account as I'm an admin.

Money saving expert thread on this too: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1825687&page=2

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
since you never sign a thing its not a valid contract you can cancel at any time and they cant do a thing

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
since you never sign a thing its not a valid contract you can cancel at any time and they cant do a thing
I'm sure there much more to it than that.

When you go to the shop and take a contract you DO sign.

When you oder online, you tick the "I agree" terms box.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
dont know why people get contracts if they cant pay for it why buy it.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
suppose its the same reason people get things on finance, most ppl dont end up paying them when they should, but they always have the initial intention of doing so.

you think, "oh £50 a month aint bad" but then u get a month when ur skint and it all goes tits up.