Other Can't open SQL Server Manager 2005

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
Has anyone ever gotten and been able to fix this problem? I would really I'm trying to find guides or a walkthrough but typing devenv /resetsettings into a command prompt or in the command window of devenv.exe won't do anything. I've uninstalled everything and reinstalled them but I get the same error. After I uninstall visual Studio 2005 and SQL 2005 what files are left behind that I should delete to fix this error?

This is for ruby files but sql is kind of other IMO.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
What version of windows are you using and what exactly is this error ?
Are you saying the program just won't run when you click it's shortcut ?

Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
Sorry, I forgot to add the screen shot.
When I launch ssmsee.exe This is what pops up instead of the server login that I used to get.

sql.png

It was working fine until I tried to add a import/export wizard for sql server manager 2005 with a file called SQLEXPR_TOOLKIT.exe

I tried to use the command on both windows cmd.exe and devenv.exe's command window and both said that command didn't exist

I think it might be easier to delete any SQL 2005 and Visual Studio files the uninstall skips over, such as saved settings or registries. Would anyone know how to find them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
The first thing to do is look for system restore with a date just before you added the toolkit. There's probably one there created at that install.
Use the restore point and rewind your system to that.
I would then consider moving to SQL 2012 as you're using Windows 7, SQL2005 is very old.

Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
My system restore never makes backup points when i uninstall or install things, I'm not sure where to change those settings, so that's not an option for me. I would have to install windows again. I'd use a more recent sql version but ruby doesn't like to.

I can try to use sql 2000, that might work with ruby.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
That's good to hear, I'll try a newer version of SQL.
Q: SQL 2005 you had to download the express edition and server manager separately and I think it only came in 32 bit. Does 2012 come a combined .exe and should I download 32 or 64 bit?

I tried sql 2008 before sql 2005 stopped working for me because it had a working table import/export program and I'd be able to more easily edit tables on Excel. But when I imported the new table to SQL the server didn't work anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
Thanks for mentioning sql 2012; I have the server working again. I have a few things to patch up before I feel like it is back to where it was and then I can get back to changing the item list.

Upvote 0

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Thanks for mentioning sql 2012; I have the server working again. I have a few things to patch up before I feel like it is back to where it was and then I can get back to changing the item list.

Good stuff.
There is an option for editing lines on the tables. It's set to 250 or something as default but you can get into settings and change it to 0 which means selecting that option will then bring in the entire table.
Please be careful leaving the table open on screen and doing other work as its east to make changes on the table without realising it.
If you make changes, usually it marks the change(s) with a red exclamation mark. Pressing the escape key should undo the change and bring in the original value. Moving anywhere on the same line still doesn't commit the change but moving onto another record will.

Upvote 0

dsmir3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Mar 12, 2010
SQL 2005 works perfect with windows 7, just as it works perfectly with Server 2008 (Both are the same architecture in design)

If you have issues with SQL 2005 again, try adding the command /resetsettings to the target of the exe (This will reset, each time you use it rather than using via command line). There are also a set of target commands that can be used, these have a wide range of functions including resetting the SQL profile (Which is effectively what /resetsettings is).

You can also do a manual reset as well, just by deleting the appdata C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft

You can also reset from regedit HKEY_USERS/DEFAULT/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT

I would only suggest deleting reg keys as a last resort and always backup before you, also which does cause a problem for all variants of SQL. When you un-install SQL, it does leave behind various reg keys, you need to delete these manually before proceeding with a fresh install.

Just some useful information for future reference, if I find command lines for target I'll post them up, as these solve some many problems.

Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
Thanks for the help, I have 2012 working now so I'm not going to change again unless there's another big problem that forces me to. I thought SQL left behind data after you uninstall it, thanks for sharing how to get rid of those files.

Upvote 0