[Other] CD or King?

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
If you had a choice, 2 identical servers, same rates etc what would people play? I've been out of the loop for a while now, king files were only just surfacing when I stopped messing with files, and 3.55 were pretty new anyway. So I kinda get there are pro's and con's to having either set. Long term, which would people rather play? Please give any info as to why you would rather play one or the other?

Anyone who has made servers with both sets, what are your opinions, what bugs are fixable easily in either set? Is it beneficial to go with one over the other long term (i.e. it does seem 3.55 are less buggy, however do they have the ability to provide as much flexibility over the long term to still work out being better than king?) Are there things missing from one and not the other etc?

Let me know what you all think on the subject please. Everyone has their own opinion and knowing how the community can be please just give your opinion on this and not your opinion on the persons posts above etc.

Thanks!

mapafail

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Apr 26, 2012
Anyone who say's king is crap, is very misguided in their comment and should really spend some serious extensive time playing around with it and not go on most of the comments that are made.

I prefer Holley over King, but this isn't due to king being crap or anything like that. I just prefer the way Holley works over King, now though some elements of the king files are bugged, they are a better set of files than Holley. With Holley you are restricted to a set number of .wils you can use, where as with King this has increased and so give you more content to play with, rather than having to remove content out of the .wils.

Server wise as well, King is better. As it runs on SQL 2005 & 2008 and runs on Windows Xp, Server 2003 & Server 2008, but struggles with AMD chipset. Where as Holley is restricted to SQL 2000 and Server 2003 Standard, so you can't actually move with technology when it comes to getting a dedicated server and so will eventually become restricted to only being able to host on home connections soon enough.

However with both sets of files, it's down to personal preference on what you like and not what everyone else likes.

Ashran

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 11, 2007
Palma, Mallorca
Well, I think that Kings can be seen as an "upgrade" for holley (because holley was sooner than kings, so if I want to change holley for kings, I'm upgrading the server). It's true that Kings has it's pro's, but it's con's are more important than it's pros. So, upgrading and go some steps backwards isn't a thing that I can't offer to my players.

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009

way to many bugs with kings and u cant get a good balance with the new spells in kings

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
personally id say holley due to restrictions and stability would be better for low rate servers and kings being very flexbile would suit a high rate server that would have alot more content