Clocking my GFX?

Rick-e

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2003
Brighton, UK.
I want to clock my GFX card, but I don't want to like blow it up or anything...

What do you guys think would be safe?

Or should I just leave it as it is?

Attachments

• clockMSI.JPG
    clockMSI.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 28

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
the general rule of video card oc'ing is to overclock till u see artifacts.

snow/checkerboarding=core
weird triangle flashes etc = memory

when u see little white dots or checkerboarding with white u need to back down ur core. when u see werid flashes or things like that u need to back down ur memory.

good advice is to oc mem first 5 mhz at a time till u see any artifacts and then back down 3 mhz and run some games/benchmarks to test for stability and then do the same for the core.

SilentDragz

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2003
Darlington, UK
My general rule is to not overclock anything I can't afford to replace at short notice, but I'm a wimp so meh :P

/SilentDragz

Biohazard

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Apr 21, 2003
Salem, Oregon
SilentDragz said:
My general rule is to not overclock anything I can't afford to replace at short notice, but I'm a wimp so meh :P

/SilentDragz

thats wat everyone on this forums general rule is =P cuz we cant pay for euro mir, and we cant OC lolol =P

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
ud be surprised how much performance can be gained from lower end productswhen oc'ing, not to mention how safe it is if u know what ur doing. theres always that chance but if u know how to oc correctly u can put a world of hurt on any stock cpu.

Rick-e

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2003
Brighton, UK.
urbanfox said:
the general rule of video card oc'ing is to overclock till u see artifacts.

snow/checkerboarding=core
weird triangle flashes etc = memory

when u see little white dots or checkerboarding with white u need to back down ur core. when u see werid flashes or things like that u need to back down ur memory.

good advice is to oc mem first 5 mhz at a time till u see any artifacts and then back down 3 mhz and run some games/benchmarks to test for stability and then do the same for the core.

Thanks, I'll try that.

It's a MSI GForce 4 Ti 4800 SE 128Mb DDR by the way.

SilentDragz

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2003
Darlington, UK
If you're gonna be overclocking I'd forget the stock cooling and spend just over a tenner on one of these.

EDIT: Just noticed it's out of stock on there, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere on your website of choice.

EDIT EDIT: This cooler does take up an additional expansion slot under the graphics card (on tower cases, to the left on desktop).

/SilentDragz

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
SilentDragz said:
If you're gonna be overclocking I'd forget the stock cooling and spend just over a tenner on one of these.

EDIT: Just noticed it's out of stock on there, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere on your website of choice.

EDIT EDIT: This cooler does take up an additional expansion slot under the graphics card (on tower cases, to the left on desktop).

/SilentDragz

the arctic silencer is a descent cooler for lower *ATI* products and the gf3, it will not work on the gf 4 line.