urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Both companies cheapest dual core offerings:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 GHz Dual Core 2MB Shared Cache
$183 USD

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz Dual Core 2x512KB Split Cache $169 USD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price difference is roughly $14 USD, or £8. Price's will probably be different for Europe, but the difference again, should not be big.

Performance wise, the E6300 WIPES THE FLOOR with the X2 3800+ in ANYTHING you throw at.

In most cases, the E6300 is at AMD X2 4200+ ($240 USD) performance.

In GAMING, it is it is at AMD X2 4600+ ($300 USD) performance. RARELY, it is at AMD X2 5000+ ($400 USD) performance.

When it comes to memory latency, Intel's new line is about 15% faster than AMD. Yes, faster than AMD even though their CPU's have an on-die memory controller.

The E6300 also consumes LESS power than the whole X2 line.

I AM NOT INTEL BIASED. These are REAL numbers. For the last 3 odd years I have personally bought NOTHING but AMD. Was that because I was an AMD fanboy? NO, they were just the best performers at the time. Now, Intel takes back the crown.

It is STUPID to buy AM2.

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Call me stupid if you like, but atm im trying to find a match to my xeon atm. I just dont have the cash to replace 1/2 my PC atleased for conroe.

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Bit of a missread there :( urban, I'm not saying you called me stupid, I'm saying you can call me stupid for getting a pair of Xeons and not a Conroe

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Not to worry :). Just out of curiosity, what do you think a Motherboard, CPU RAM and Graphich card for a conroe system would cost?

Lowest spec cpu, cheapest board, 1gb ram, and a very low end NVIDIA graphics card.

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
why they so cheap? :S how much wud it cost to build an existing pc into 1 of these o_O

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
The figures aren't suprising, we knew they were coming.
AMD won't take it lying down, they'll start the price war, how low they'll go is another question, we haven't got long to find out :)

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Sean said:
The figures aren't suprising, we knew they were coming.

Not what I remember...

Sean said:
The mid range models of each will be a world apart from £50 cheaper, just wait and see.

Price difference is roughly $14 USD, or £8.

Sean said:
AMD won't take it lying down, they'll start the price war, how low they'll go is another question, we haven't got long to find out
smile.gif

The prices I listed for conroe are NOW. The prices I listed for AMD... NOT NOW. The current price for the X2 3800+ is $300 USD.

The low prices are the NEW ones YET to be implemented. If AMD went low enough to beat conroe then they wouldn't be making much of a profit.

Senture said:
Not to worry . Just out of curiosity, what do you think a Motherboard, CPU RAM and Graphich card for a conroe system would cost?

Lowest spec cpu, cheapest board, 1gb ram, and a very low end NVIDIA graphics card.

The CPU listed above (the E6300), a gigabyte of dual channel ram, a motherboard, and a low end video card is going to run you about 275 pounds depending on the markup in Europe and motherboard availability.

Last edited:

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
I attached a picture of my server which we run RaGEZONE off... Some of you forget how large and resourceful owning such a forum is.. From experience ive run it on a a P4 3ghz.. Dual Xeon.. and now Opteron.

From overall experienced, server based wise for SQL and apache, AMD always out performs any INTEL product static wise.

/win.

NOTES:

Our server is the largest and fastest server currently built in the FORTIX datacenter in texas, its a custom specification build which i am very proud of.

Attachments

• srerver.JPG
    srerver.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 57

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
MentaL said:

From overall experienced, server based wise for SQL and apache, AMD always out performs any INTEL product static wise.

Which is why your advice is flawed, YOUR experience.

You act is if Intel's new line is still built off of netburst (P4, Xeon), WHICH IT ISN'T.

When woodcrest comes out (merom based) in Q3 AMD is going to be feeling the heat BIG TIME.

Then again, 99% of the members here could care less about server applications they will never run. And when it comes to EVERYTHING home based.... Intel terrorizes AMD.

/win?

Oh ye, and besides a performance stomping, there is also the fact that woodcrest is COOLER and consumes LESS power than the Opteron...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Our server is the largest and fastest server currently built in the FORTIX datacenter in texas, its a custom specification build which i am very proud of.

A couple of 270's attempt to boast their "fastest" server?

Hmm, would have thought they could at least move up to some 285's for a 60%+ increase in power... Nice try though, A for effort.

Last edited:

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
I'm not great with CPU limits, but if I rember right you can have a server running 32 Xeon mp's

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Well once the final statistics are available for Conroe if it is better than opteron, ill upgrade to that ^__^ (SERVER WISE)

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
MentaL said:
Well once the final statistics are available for Conroe if it is better than opteron, ill upgrade to that ^__^ (SERVER WISE)

You're going to want to wait for woodcrest rather than what's available now. Woodcrest is the server version of the Intel's new tech and it also has a 1333 MHz bus too.

EDIT You might not have to wait that long actually...

MentaL said:
games differ from sql and apache....

Intel Core 2 Duo is just a normal CPU, not technically made for server use, kind of like before where P4=Conroe and Xeon=woodcrest.

Muffin said:
are these out yet? ??????????????

No, I'd say end of the month or mid August max.

Turin said:
woot =D.

Has AMD got anything in stock to suprise us again =P?

Turin

I hear rumors here and there, but I don't know anything specific.

Last edited:

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
urbanfox said:
Not what I remember...

That was referring to the performance, and as for the pricing being 'now'... sure, where can I buy one of these new processors?

You can't....

Last edited: