Cruel Dragon 3.38 - solution!!!

smoochy boys on tour

DrowninG

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
hi all,

well since returning to Private Servers ive encountered many set backs, the main one being CD3.38 running in the background but no window appearing...

well Xander was experiencing the same problems as me a while ago, i searched the forum for a solution to this starttimer exception thing, and found this thread:

http://www.lomcn.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40042&page=2&highlight=emergency

anyways, it wasnt coming up for me either, i used CD1.22 from kaori's mir file list, and when i tried to run that it came up with starttimer exception, not ready 127.0.0.1.

anyways i had Demonic (bless his cotton socks) on msn for hours trying to help me out, he said it was because SQL was not connecting...

anyways i went back here and looked for a solution:

If Your Having The Same Problem Read:
----------------------------------------

OK, so you have LS3g-Chinese.rar, uve setup everything and go to run the files...

CD3g.exe doesnt show...

Go into CD3g.ini and first 4 lines should look like this...

Code:
[ÓÎÏ·ÉèÖÃ]
·þÎñÆ÷IP=127.0.0.1
µÇ½ÕÊ»§=sa
µÇ½ÃÜÂë=password

i reinstalled SQL sooooo many times its annoying, i could do it without any guide :P

anway...

see the:

·þÎñÆ÷IP=

well obviously thats where u input your ip, well your setup is probably the same / similar to mine, basically, change the 127.0.0.1 part to whatever your SQL server is called in SQL Enterprise Manager...

Mine says: (LOCAL) (Windows NT)
so i changed mine to: (local)

now from what i read on the thread i posted above,
Xanders is called: (CARL\SQL) or something like that (plz verify if im wrong or not:P)

anyways whatever your server is called put it place of 127.0.0.1

mines now loading the maps :D im missing a few tho lol computers lagged to fook with this now running slower than my old DX386 system lol :P

anywho hope this helps :D

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Just to go over what we did...

we focused on the Server exe itself - pointless worrying about the other programs at this stage you see. He sent me his !Setup.exe and i ran it - same error (it would cos it had wrong password) then once changed password my server popped up (with wrong paths but thats not important at this stage).

We come to the conclucion something was stopping the server Talk to SQL, now he had Norton (boo hiss) and I suspected a Firewall / Norton stopping this. I could even move just the main server exe + Setup folder to another computer and run the server - proof that the rest at this stage do not matter.

Ref Xander, he had installed SQL as a Named Instance thus why its called Carl for example. So anyone with same problems of Starttimer exception, focus on Server exe, cd.ini, !Setup.txt and SQL Install...not even the ODBC's matter at this stage (they do later)..

Upvote 0

DrowninG

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
yeah,

your main focus is to get the CD3g.exe to load completely...

after that, i ran into another problem, i tried to log into the game and all i got was a textless window popping up in mir 3 login screen, if i pressed Yes then it closed that little window, however if i pressed No then it closed mir 3 client...

the reason for this was i had messed around with the ODBC and changed the ips, they are now set to NAME-COMPUTER (same as name of the server in the server manager next to my clock )

if anyone is unsure of what im on about i can upload a few screenies :)

Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Now Mr. DrowninG is when the rest of the programs, IP/Server name Matters see (this is not for DrowninG - this is for others reading this brill tale). The next problem you will encounter is finding out that running Server + SQL + Client on that 386 will bring it to a Halt...this is when you need:

1 PC for Server - 768Meg Ram Min I would say - 1 Gig better
1 PC for MS-SQL - 512Meg Ram
1 PC for Client.. 16 GIG ram - Lol only Joking

Network of course (Rj45) and a router...

Upvote 0

DrowninG

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
lol i was using the 386 thing as an example :p

ive cut aload of maps out for the time being server loads in like 30 secs.

im gonna talk to adz tonight (the guy who was on msn last night with us) see if he's still up for hosting a server...

btw sorry for not sayin it b4, but tyvm for ur help last night, learnt alot more about the server and how it works, ur a star m8 :) and a valuable asset to the forums, if only there were more ppl like u (not a sarcastic remark btw truly am thankful and wish there were more ppl willing to help others out)

Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
LOL I was sure you had a 386 - running Norton will turn your PC into a 386 anyhow (question is... Is norton a ANTI Virus or just a Virus itself??).

I dont mind helping people who put in the hard work, of course I canot just keep adding everyone to MSN - I only have a 19" TFT like and it would be hard to keep up ;)

Suppose its always better that it never worked and you in turn learned how the server ticks - see its not as hard as it looks eh !! As I said on MSN - its harder on a forum to work out what is going wrong, what you have not done or installed so can only offer General advice to people, blame wemade for writing this thing but then I guess it was written for them to understand and not Shared for all of LOMCN to try and run eh!!

As you know I have PM'd you the location of the English Set of files (its a tad obious where they are) so happy 3G as they say ;)

Upvote 0

DrowninG

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
lol cheers - replied to your PM :P

and i agree, rather than having it all just work out neatly i can in a way relate to any other problems other users may encounter and be able to help them out accordingly.

LOL na i had a 386 about 10-12 year ago :P then upgraded to a P3 when they first came out, i have a computer lying in the corner, DDR400 1GB ram, sexy mobo aswell, but need a new CPU for it, so atm im running a 1.6 system, as i said ive cut a load of maps out for the time being, i ran the CD3g.exe at first and it loaded something like 2000+ maps, took ages lol so i cut it down and am working on the NPCs etc on them maps atm

Upvote 0