Dell Laptop XPS M1710

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
Can I interest you in a Macbook Pro, then? :P

--

It's alright, but it's far from portable.

Gaming performance will be stellar, but so will heat output, probably.

You'll also need a special case for the 17+ screen.

Other than that, if you can afford it, and want the gaming performance, why the hell NOT? :P

--

On a sidenote, look up the Blu-Ray sony vaio's. I don't know the exact specs, but I know if they're packing a next-gen optical drive, it's likely to have decent gaming performance :P

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
¤]´)÷¤--§îr Äürøñ--¤÷(`[¤ said:
Can I interest you in a Macbook Pro, then? :P

--

It's alright, but it's far from portable.

Gaming performance will be stellar, but so will heat output, probably.

You'll also need a special case for the 17+ screen.

Other than that, if you can afford it, and want the gaming performance, why the hell NOT? :P

--

On a sidenote, look up the Blu-Ray sony vaio's. I don't know the exact specs, but I know if they're packing a next-gen optical drive, it's likely to have decent gaming performance :P

cheers, i checked vaio's out quickly but cant see the same 12month finance options that dell have... but ill have another look ^^

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
The new blu ray disks as i see will only be used for the Playstation and i doubt they'll stumble into the pc market untill a large vast of computers support blu ray, as its too much of a risk for a game designer to create a game which will only work on rare selected computers.

So how is see it is, why pay extra (if its extra for blu ray) now when it may be over a year untill all/most games will be available by blu ray disk and by that time graphics cards etc will have updated so your computer will still need updating by that date to run the blu ray smoothly.

On that note, Graphics cards im guessing are going to have to get alot better for blu ray as the space you cna store on those disks is pretty amazing.

But thats just my opinion, i may be a total moron and being very short sighted, but i stated my opinion :)

/Tofas

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
lozmuir said:
Basically im now debating over a Vaio or an XPS :S

but is it better to get a new desktop, rather than a lappy?
Depends on your needs.

If you need portability (for collage maybe?) you should buy a laptop. If you are just going to use the laptop at home, on your desk - it's a waste as you can buy a much faster desktop computer for the same price as the laptop.

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
Ragnar said:
Depends on your needs.

If you need portability (for collage maybe?) you should buy a laptop. If you are just going to use the laptop at home, on your desk - it's a waste as you can buy a much faster desktop computer for the same price as the laptop.

yeah, well i dropped out of college and my work dosnt exactly require IT.

Guess ill go research a lil on good custom PC's.

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
you no on that dell page where do you select the finiance options m8 i am also getting that 1 =]

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
DayWalker™ said:
BEst off getting a nice dual core Desktop pc or wait for this new processor urbans talking about.

/Stan
Conroe is already available afaik.

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
peppe said:
you no on that dell page where do you select the finiance options m8 i am also getting that 1 =]

Yeah, I can see that.

@lozmuir if you're now looking for a desktop PC, you should state how much you wanna spend ;o.